Atb6's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, March 18th, 2013 5:26 PM

Closed

box on property i am removing

Who do I contact via email (I've dealt with being on the phone with att and refuse to call) re a green box on my property? We are pouring cement in a month and will remove this box but wanted to fore warn someone first.

Once cement is poured...if the box stays...it will eventually be run over by a car, due to it's bad Location

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Atb6 - What about the stuff inside the box?? It must be access to the neighborhood underground cable that connects service into your house. You need to call telephone repair to have plant engineers come to your house to determine what the appropriate enclosure is for the middle of the driveway. Or, move the access away from your driveway. It;s not just an empty box.

Here's athought - Ask your local police what nmber they call when someones car ends up on a utility pole. They are the ones you want to work with.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Um... I'd be willing to bet that the green box is inside a utility easement and there are probably wires leading to it underground that you need to get marked by a utility locator service before you dig out for a driveway, etc.

I'd (1) check your plat at your county records office to remind yourself of any easements on your property and

(2) call to get lines marked.

If neither one of these turns up anything, then I'd contact customer service. But this is the U-verse community, and I doubt that the U-verse group has much to do with that green box.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

@Atb6 wrote:
Who do I contact via email (I've dealt with being on the phone with att and refuse to call) re a green box on my property? We are pouring cement in a month and will remove this box but wanted to fore warn someone first.

Once cement is poured...if the box stays...it will eventually be run over by a car, due to it's bad Location

If its a marked AT&T box, then the only option in most areas is to call 611 telephone repair who can either put in the ticket or direct you to appropriate contact for your area.  If you need an 800 number you can google it but there's not an email contact that I'm aware of.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Atb6 wrote:

Suggest not pouring any concrete around it, or hit it with a vehicle.  You will not like the bill that ATT and any other utilities that run through that easement, sent by Sherriff or Process Server, along with a notice to appear in court.

There is a reason why there are utility easements, also along with rules set by your local municipality, that states what you can and cannot do on your property or in the easements, which are not actually yours to do anything with, but to mow and maintain in good appearance as stated by them.  Even worse if you live in a HOA.

So again, I would say that it is not a good idea to do anything with that box, or area that it is in, because the bill you will get in return, will surprise you that it can be as much as your home is worth.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

There is no easement on record.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

I'd say search for utilty easements on your state (or PSC) website, as that's who probably set them up in state law as they did here in Michigan.  They apply statewide, giving them 24/7 access as necessary. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

There is no easement on record, I have looked it up.  ATT is not a utility company, I don't think they would qualify for an easement if there were a utility one anyway.  I would not intentionally run it over, but where it is placed, I can see it possibly getting hit.  

In reality, I am incapable of just removing it on my own, like my OP says.  But I would like it removed, or moved. But now sure who to talk to about it.  Once it's cemented, they might find it difficult to get to wires they need. 

I don't use ATT, never will.  They can relocate it onto someone elses property.

But we'll see. 

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Atb6 wrote:

There is no easement on record, I have looked it up.  ATT is not a utility company, I don't think they would qualify for an easement if there were a utility one anyway.  I would not intentionally run it over, but where it is placed, I can see it possibly getting hit.  

In reality, I am incapable of just removing it on my own, like my OP says.  But I would like it removed, or moved. But now sure who to talk to about it.  Once it's cemented, they might find it difficult to get to wires they need. 

I don't use ATT, never will.  They can relocate it onto someone elses property.

But we'll see. 

ATT has been a utility company for over 100 years, so you may want to go back and check the info on the easements.  They do not just place boxes on a whim for telephone & catv, because it looks like a good spot to put them.  As for relocating it to someone else's property, not going to happen, unless you come up with the oh say $25,000 to $75,000 to have it moved, along with the wire pair going to it, which can be anywhere from 25 pair to 100 pair line.

As I stated before, it is never going to happen.  Only time ATT or other utilities have relocated boxes, is when a road gets widened, they are in a flood prone area that is considered a 100 year flood area, get hit alot by vehicles, due to drivers not paying attention, or if a business expands, and the utility box happens to be in the area that they are doing an expansion or moving an entrance, then those would be the only time it would get moved.

Just because a homeowner does not like where it is, and decides that they are gong to just hit it when they get a drive in, it just is not going to happen.  First off, the city will request permits to be pulled, a site plan, utility locate, etc..

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

Does your construction require a permit?  If it does, your city or municipality would be able to tell you of any utilities in the easement.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

Does your construction require a permit?  If it does, your city or municipality would be able to tell you of any utilities in the easement.

You do not even have to do that.  If a neighbor mentions work is taking place, and there are concerns about it, the local AHJ will be all over it.  We had a property owner that wanted to place a drive on their side of the house, exiting onto one of the busy 4 lane roadways here in town.

They poured the pad, laid stone for keeping the dirt from falling back on the drive, due to it was sunken below grade.  Stayed that way for about 2-3 months, then when the city would not issue permits for a curb cut, and the fact that no permits were pulled to begin with, now you have the yard returned how it was before.  But if I had to guess, they buried the concrete they poured, that is now under at least 2 feet of fill dirt and sod.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.