For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
rra's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, March 16th, 2013 10:57 PM

adding WII and DVD player to the set up

I have U-verse with a smart TV, a WII and a dvd player. Can someone please tell me how to hook this up so that I don't have to keep unplugging the WII or DVD player to switch the RCA cables going into the TV?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

rra - Change the STB connection from COAX (the worst) to HDMI (the best). You are not using HDMI because you are not paying for HD. It does not matter. You still want the connection to be HDMI. Cables are ceap at monoprice.com - also everywhere, now - may ask an att installer if you see one.

The STB connections are output only - no input.

If the WII does not have a coax output, I believe there used to be converters composite to RF (coax) - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=composite++to+coax

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

rra - what is the make & model of the TV? How many inputs does it have? Ideally, you need an input for each device so you can select which one to watch by a menu on the TV.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

It is a 40" Class (40.0" Diag.) LED 5300 Series Smart TV - Samsung

It has RCA (Y/R/W) Pr,Pb, 3 HDMI and DVI Audio in

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

rra -

I guess I should have asked what input needs to be shared, so you have to plug/un-plug.

Connect the U-verse STB HDMI.
If the DVD has HDMI use it. Or, component (3 video, 2 audio) or composite {yellow, red. white}

What does the WII have? HDMI is first choice, then composite, then COAX RF.

The only conflict I see is if the composite and component share the Yellow jack you could run out of inputs. The specs there is one of each, but they could be cheating & share. Meaning you can only use one or the other.

If you have such a conflict - Get a composite switch & connect the DVD & WiI to the switch.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=composite+switch

If you do not need the switch you select the input via a TV menu. If you use coax for the WII set the TV tuner on analog ch 3. With the switch you would have two settings to change.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

The WII nor the DVD have HDMI...only RCA, which is what I have been plugging/unplugging when swithing devices.  The STB is connected to TV via COAX. I will look into getting the switch. Maybe the simplest solution is to move the WII to another TV.... 

.....you would think with all of the connections on the back of the u-verse box they would make one of them capable of taking the dvd player.

Thank you for the information 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.