XBox One

Explorer

XBox One

So after Microsoft's initial XBox One console reveal and E3 I have some quesitons are am seeing if any of you guys found the answers that I didn't.  TV was a big part of the XBox One reveal but word got out that you will still have to have a cable box to plug into the HDMI In on the back of the system and HDMI Out to the TV.  Now I guess this is good as it cuts down on the number of inputs you have to use but have they said anything specific for UVerse and XBox One like they did for the XBox 360 where you didn't even need the cable box anymore?  It seems like UVerse was the only cable company to offer an entier app that provided the full cable box functionality and channel selection and I was wondering if something like that is coming to the XBox One.  Anyone know?

Message 1 of 30 (13,037 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: XBox One

pacman, I would start by making sure there's a clear line of sight between the IR blaster on the Kinnect and the IR window on the front of the U-verse STB and running through the setup test again.  If you can get it to work at all, then work on a more permanent arrangement.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 30 (9,460 Views)
Explorer

Thanks for the quick replies.  The Kinect is almost directly above my U-Verse box on the highest shelf/top of my entertainment center so I would say there is no line of sight how it is currently setup.  Any of you guys who have gotten it working, how did you create a line of sight between the two?  I mean putting the Kinect on the same shelf as my U-Verse box and poitning it towards the box would obviously not allow Kinect to see me anymore and I would lose that functionality so I don't know what type of solution I could setup in a typical entertainment center.  What's weird is that it works with my Vizio TV just fine even though it is not pointing at the TV.  It is on the same top shelf of my entertainment center so I guess that is why it is working but Kinect is definitely pointed away from the TV.

Message 17 of 30 (9,455 Views)
ACE - Expert

pacman_85 - I can see that trying to operate multiple devices from the same transmitter can be problematic. Especially if you believe it needs a direct path. That is need for some devices.

But I believe, the problem with the U-verse box is it is too sensitive. If you have a glass front cabinet, place the Kinect transmitter in the back on the bottom - away from the U-verse box/ Cover the front of the cabinet with a blanket.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 30 (9,451 Views)
ACE - Expert

IR signals usually bounce off walls pretty well, but I'm not so sure about the protocol these boxes use as it is very different from normal.

I was suggesting that you start with a clear line of sight to ensure that they were compatible at all, then work out a more permanent arrangement.

Message 19 of 30 (9,451 Views)
Explorer

Yeah I will definitely do that one I get home from work tonight. I was just curious what others who have an XBox One and a U-verse box had to do to get this working. It is an open entertainment center (no doors or anything) with 3 shelves. I think the shelves are made of granite as it is really heavy. Is there a possibility that this isn't working because of my specific model of U-Verse box (one of the non-DVR Motorola VIP1200's)?
Message 20 of 30 (9,436 Views)
ACE - Expert

Perhaps someone with an Xbox One will chime in with their experience, I do not have one.

While your individual box may vary in how well it works, all of the AT&T set tops (DVR and non-DVR, Cisco and Motorola) use the same protocol, remotes move between boxes without issue.  The blaster should be the same.

Message 21 of 30 (9,432 Views)
ACE - Expert

pacman_85 - Anything is possible. We each have to go with the odds based on what we have experienced. I know -

The IR signal can be corrupted by outside light from TVs or bulbs. This must be eliminated by isolating the transmitter, STB and the path between the two from all outside exposure.

The STB can frequently not work because the IR signal is too strong. The tape works like magic for this case.

If you read post 11 above, you will see this sentence - If another STB can see the IR generated by the dongle, it will respond to it. I did not make this up. It was discovered in thread complaining about the RF remote changing the channel on an STB in another room. This shows how sensitive the sensor can be. The IR dongle is in one room & shoots IR down the hall to another room where the signal is strong enough to affect the STB.

I point it out here to say that anything that sensitive has a low threshold on the other end. It will fail sooner due to overload.
Message 22 of 30 (9,432 Views)

pacman, 

I just got my XBox One yesterday, and configured it up with my TVand U-Verse. I had a similar problem when I tried telling it that I had a Motorola box. What resolved it for me was to change the type from Motorola to just AT&T U-Verse. I believe it corrected it back to either ATT or AT&T, I do not remember, and I am not in front of it now.

After I got the TV working, and it proceeded to this step, the default entry was AT&T U-Verse when it asked what my STB was. I figured I would put in the exact model, but that did not work like you indicated. I then thought I would try AT&T U-Verse since that is what it suggested, and that made everything work.

Regards

Message 23 of 30 (9,397 Views)
Contributor

I got the notice yesterday.  Just 2 days before I was able to plug my Xbox 360 into my Xbox One and use it as a cable box.  It actually turns it on and changes the channels just like a real stb.  Hearing this news just makes me sick.  I now have the ultimate home theater set up.  Too bad that I will only get to enjoy it for a month before it's gone. 

Message 24 of 30 (9,349 Views)
Teacher

What notice?

Message 25 of 30 (8,799 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Try Google with this search term:

AT&T U-verse Xbox 360 end

Message 26 of 30 (8,796 Views)
Teacher

I just did an online chat with thier support people and they claim they know nothing about it.  They have no information that support will be discontinued.  I'm hoping they had second thoughts.  I have 3 boxes working this way and I don't want to have to deal with putting in those stupid cable boxes.  I've been using it since it came out and never received any direct communication from them stating they plan to kill it. 

Message 27 of 30 (8,793 Views)
ACE - Expert

kjdinoc wrote:

I just did an online chat with thier support people and they claim they know nothing about it.  They have no information that support will be discontinued.  I'm hoping they had second thoughts.  I have 3 boxes working this way and I don't want to have to deal with putting in those stupid cable boxes.  I've been using it since it came out and never received any direct communication from them stating they plan to kill it. 

Apparently it is not as popular as they had hoped.  They had started a redesign project last fall to fit into the more modern Xbox landscape.  That project has now been cancelled, which led to this announcement.

Message 28 of 30 (8,780 Views)
ACE - Professor

kjdinoc wrote:

You should have gotten an email from AT&T regarding this decision. I got one not long after seeing it on the board.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 29 of 30 (8,660 Views)
ACE - Expert

If they don't have an e-mail for you, they would have sent it via snail mail.  But if you had an old e-mail —or one you don't read much —on file for communication, it would be there.

Message 30 of 30 (8,657 Views)