pacman_85's profile

Explorer

• 

22 Messages

Wednesday, June 12th, 2013 7:26 PM

Closed

XBox One

So after Microsoft's initial XBox One console reveal and E3 I have some quesitons are am seeing if any of you guys found the answers that I didn't.  TV was a big part of the XBox One reveal but word got out that you will still have to have a cable box to plug into the HDMI In on the back of the system and HDMI Out to the TV.  Now I guess this is good as it cuts down on the number of inputs you have to use but have they said anything specific for UVerse and XBox One like they did for the XBox 360 where you didn't even need the cable box anymore?  It seems like UVerse was the only cable company to offer an entier app that provided the full cable box functionality and channel selection and I was wondering if something like that is coming to the XBox One.  Anyone know?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

benperrysj - Thanks for letting me know. That means the ambient light was corrupting the IR. Be sure the towel does nor cover the slots that cool the innards. Notice I said to only cover the front. Don't want to trade one problem for another.

Explorer

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

So since I started this thread I figured I would post about the issue I am having here and hope someone can help me out.  I got the XBox One yesterday.  I hooked it up, it detected and can control my VIZIO tv just fine.  Moving on to the cable TV portion, I said I have U-Verse, gave it my zip, then said the Motorola VIP1200 box and it tried to send a power command to the box but failed.  Tried again, no luck.  It just kept repeatedly trying to do the power command so for grins I said yes it worked (instead of saying no on that screen) and then it tried to send the info/display command to it.  Same issue, didn't work.  So basically there is a signal coming from the U-Verse box and I can watch TV through my XBox One but I can't do anything else like change channels, etc.  Anyone know why?  I see some posts about IR signals and what not so, for reference, the Kinect is on the top shelf of my entertainment center right in front of my tv.  I have 2 shelves below that.  My U-Verse Motorola box is on the shelf directly below the top shelf where the tv and Kinect are.  The XBox One is right next to my U-Verse box.  My Pioneer audio receiver is below these on the bottom shelf.  I don't have U-Verse Internet which I don't think is an issue but figured I would mention that just in case.  Is this a case where the model of U-Verse box I have is incompatible or just an issue with the IR blaster in Kinect not being able to send signals to the U-Verse box?  Any help is appreciated!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

pacman_85 - I think you should expect the x-box IR blaster to control the u-verse box. There are a number of opportunities for failure. You may want to use it ongoing to be controlled either by the handheld remote or the IR blaster, but first you have to do some testing only the IR blaster.

Enclose the U-verse box and the output of the IR blaster so that it cannot see anything from outside that enclosure. See if it works. This worked for benperrysj.

If that does not work. Keep the enclosure in place & cover the front of the U-verse box with an opaque material. This is a tape that works. - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-3...

If that does not work & the box is a DVR swap it with another STB & go through the same steps.

Please let me know how you do.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

pacman, I would start by making sure there's a clear line of sight between the IR blaster on the Kinnect and the IR window on the front of the U-verse STB and running through the setup test again.  If you can get it to work at all, then work on a more permanent arrangement.

Explorer

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies.  The Kinect is almost directly above my U-Verse box on the highest shelf/top of my entertainment center so I would say there is no line of sight how it is currently setup.  Any of you guys who have gotten it working, how did you create a line of sight between the two?  I mean putting the Kinect on the same shelf as my U-Verse box and poitning it towards the box would obviously not allow Kinect to see me anymore and I would lose that functionality so I don't know what type of solution I could setup in a typical entertainment center.  What's weird is that it works with my Vizio TV just fine even though it is not pointing at the TV.  It is on the same top shelf of my entertainment center so I guess that is why it is working but Kinect is definitely pointed away from the TV.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

pacman_85 - I can see that trying to operate multiple devices from the same transmitter can be problematic. Especially if you believe it needs a direct path. That is need for some devices.

But I believe, the problem with the U-verse box is it is too sensitive. If you have a glass front cabinet, place the Kinect transmitter in the back on the bottom - away from the U-verse box/ Cover the front of the cabinet with a blanket.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

IR signals usually bounce off walls pretty well, but I'm not so sure about the protocol these boxes use as it is very different from normal.

I was suggesting that you start with a clear line of sight to ensure that they were compatible at all, then work out a more permanent arrangement.

Explorer

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah I will definitely do that one I get home from work tonight. I was just curious what others who have an XBox One and a U-verse box had to do to get this working. It is an open entertainment center (no doors or anything) with 3 shelves. I think the shelves are made of granite as it is really heavy. Is there a possibility that this isn't working because of my specific model of U-Verse box (one of the non-DVR Motorola VIP1200's)?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Perhaps someone with an Xbox One will chime in with their experience, I do not have one.

While your individual box may vary in how well it works, all of the AT&T set tops (DVR and non-DVR, Cisco and Motorola) use the same protocol, remotes move between boxes without issue.  The blaster should be the same.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

pacman_85 - Anything is possible. We each have to go with the odds based on what we have experienced. I know -

The IR signal can be corrupted by outside light from TVs or bulbs. This must be eliminated by isolating the transmitter, STB and the path between the two from all outside exposure.

The STB can frequently not work because the IR signal is too strong. The tape works like magic for this case.

If you read post 11 above, you will see this sentence - If another STB can see the IR generated by the dongle, it will respond to it. I did not make this up. It was discovered in thread complaining about the RF remote changing the channel on an STB in another room. This shows how sensitive the sensor can be. The IR dongle is in one room & shoots IR down the hall to another room where the signal is strong enough to affect the STB.

I point it out here to say that anything that sensitive has a low threshold on the other end. It will fail sooner due to overload.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.