XBox Live problem - 2wire NAT is not open

Contributor

XBox Live problem - 2wire NAT is not open

I just got Uverse yesterday. I discovered that my NAT is moderate, which prevents me from joining my friends in games. I tried forwarding all the ports that microsoft reccomends... hasn't worked. Any input?

Message 1 of 45 (65,263 Views)

Re: XBox Live problem - 2wire NAT is not open

You might want to also explain this to the AT&T tech support folks. As they are telling me that it does not matter that I assign a port to be open on a specific IP address that it will be open for everything. Well not with their gateway. It would be great if I could do that then both xboxes would work. However I cannot assign the same open ports to 2 different IP addresses with their 2wire gateway. It does not support what they sell as in the u-verse xbox set to run your u-verse through the xbox and then actually use the xbox for online gaming. Xbox will work great with u-verse if you are a hermit one person household. Now in the real world where many homes have more than one person and more than one xbox or gaming computer or playstation whatever it may be. you cannot play online with 2 at the same time. One is fine but 2 not gonna happen. As the 2nd one will have a strict NAT that will not allow you to join game sessions. So until AT&T can figure this out and their tech support can actually be useful I would not recommend u-verse to anyone. Maybe they should go and take pointers from Comcast, Wow, and even time warner they all know how to make it work without an issue!!!!
Message 31 of 45 (11,294 Views)
ACE - Expert

tinalms2001 wrote:
Both xboxes have a static IP address. It does not matter. So far u-verse gateway is a piece of crap!!!!I guess this easily solves the problem of going back to comcast. At least their routers actually do support what they advertise. Multi gaming households. I was hoping since AT&T is taking over everywhere they would actually get with the times but no yet again they are still very lacking.

When you say they have a static IP address, do you mean that you assigned them a static internal IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.11) or that you purchased a block of static IP addresses from AT&T and have assigned a public static IP address to each XBOX?  Without two different public IP addressess assigned to the two devices, they cannot be accessed externally on the same port.

With Charter I was able to have multiple dynamic public IP addresses to do this, but I had to ask for it, pay $5.00 extra per month for it, and deal with a couple of hour long phone calls to get them to put it back on about every 5-6 months when it got turned off by somebody at Charter because I was "configured wrong."

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 45 (11,286 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by SomeJoe7777 (Expert)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

tinalms2001 wrote:
You might want to also explain this to the AT&T tech support folks. As they are telling me that it does not matter that I assign a port to be open on a specific IP address that it will be open for everything. Well not with their gateway. It would be great if I could do that then both xboxes would work. However I cannot assign the same open ports to 2 different IP addresses with their 2wire gateway. It does not support what they sell as in the u-verse xbox set to run your u-verse through the xbox and then actually use the xbox for online gaming. Xbox will work great with u-verse if you are a hermit one person household. Now in the real world where many homes have more than one person and more than one xbox or gaming computer or playstation whatever it may be. you cannot play online with 2 at the same time. One is fine but 2 not gonna happen. As the 2nd one will have a strict NAT that will not allow you to join game sessions. So until AT&T can figure this out and their tech support can actually be useful I would not recommend u-verse to anyone. Maybe they should go and take pointers from Comcast, Wow, and even time warner they all know how to make it work without an issue!!!!

You cannot port forward the same port from one public IP address through a NAT gateway to two different private addresses.  It cannot be done, regardless of the vendor of the router.  To accomplish what you want the RG has to have two different public addresses to route the same port to two devices inside the home.  Once you have that, there is no port forwarding configuration needed, just opening the ports in the RG FW.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 45 (11,286 Views)
Highlighted
Expert
Solution
Accepted by SomeJoe7777 (Expert)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

[ Edited ]

tinalms2001 wrote:
However I cannot assign the same open ports to 2 different IP addresses with their 2wire gateway.

You cannot assign the same open port to 2 different internal devices behind any router that does NAT. This is not a limitation of the 2Wire, it is a limitation of Network Address Translation.

No router, either provided for you from the ISP nor a 3rd-party one you purchase, whether it's a $19.99 Buffalo Tech super special or a $5000.00 Cisco 2951 can get past this limitation.

Now, there are two ways to make 2 XBoxes have an open NAT:

1. Two public IP addresses.  For each public IP address, you forward the proper ports to each XBox.

2. You can use a UPnP-capable router, and both XBoxes will properly open their own ports without any port forwarding.  (The 2nd XBox figures out that the 1st one is using the normal ports, and the 2nd XBox automatically configures itself to use a set of alternate ports).

The U-Verse 2Wire router (and many other routers provided by other ISPs) does not have the UPnP feature, so solution #2 will not work with the 2Wire.

However, if you want to purchase your own 3rd-party router that has UPnP, you can install it behind the 2Wire in the DMZ (http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...), and then both XBoxes will work.

Message 34 of 45 (11,272 Views)
Mentor

Once again, SomeJoe has been a great help. I just bought an Xbox One to use in conjunction with my Xbox 360. I set up the Xbox One last night and noticed that the NAT was set to strict. I was going to open up the recommended ports on the new Xbox this morning and found this thread. My Xbox 360 is connected to the RG by Ethernet, and I was simply going to buy a network switch to allow me to use the same run of Ethernet cable for both Xboxes. But it looks like I need to buy a UPnP router instead and set it up in the DMZ. I'm going to get an older Netgear WNR2000 router since I'm going to turn off its wireless radio and won't need any of the newer WiFi technology. I assume that the 300 Mbps switches in that router will be fast enough for my purposes.

Message 35 of 45 (10,398 Views)
Tutor

2WIRE i38HP NAT type problems

IT seems like many XBOX 360 with UVERSE users have had the restricted NAT type issues starting recently. The router I have is 2WIRE i38HG. I have opened port 3074 for both TCP and UDP. I have opened port 88 for UDP. These were in many of the "remedies" I have researched. Including in the AT&T forums. I tried using the AT&T online user help, but they told me to use a fee based service called ConnecTech. I don't think I should have to pay to remedy something which has worked well up until recently. The most thorough advice I have received from AT&T forums is here:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/XBox-Live-problem-2wire-NAT-is-not-open/m-p/3449081#M9...

I am to the point where I am ready to switch providers since the main reason for my Internet is for my XBOX 360 to play games and use Netlfix.

I'm not looking to spend money on an aftermarket router in order to use my devices in the manner they are designed. Any assistance will be greatly welcomed.

Message 36 of 45 (10,302 Views)
Voyager

You are an absolute genius. you saved me a headache with my son complaining he couldn't get on! Thank-you for the step by step instructions. Very easy to comprehend until it came to entering the password, kept trying the modem password and not the battery back up. LOL. Thanks again.!!!

Message 37 of 45 (10,146 Views)
Contributor

thats not right...im having the same issue...and i jut bought the 360 250 gig in february...and have a nvg510 and sraight ether cord to  and supplied cable to wall jack...i had to add those ports to play vbox live....yesterday

Message 38 of 45 (9,941 Views)
Contributor

Ok so I'm reading this right now in 2014. My xbox live is having the same problem and as I was looking I was like "hey cool this looks like a legit solution" and so I tried it buuuut it stooped me at step 2. I cannot find a settings tab anywhere on the website.
Message 39 of 45 (9,613 Views)
Contributor

It's the 3rd tab to the right. I'm stuck on step 5- I can't find my xbox IP address under section 1.  Let me know how you find yours once you get to this point.

Message 40 of 45 (9,594 Views)
Contributor

Help! I'm stuck on step 5. I can't find my XBOX in the list. I don't see my IP address.
Message 41 of 45 (9,588 Views)
Contributor

After step 14, it puts me on a login page and tells me to put in a password. I tried my wifi password, but it did not work. Please help. Thanks.

Message 42 of 45 (9,112 Views)
Expert

heinemans wrote:

After step 14, it puts me on a login page and tells me to put in a password. I tried my wifi password, but it did not work. Please help. Thanks.

You will need the system password for this.  It is usually on a white sticker on the side of the gateway unit.

Message 43 of 45 (9,089 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Ponzi wrote:

Once again, SomeJoe has been a great help. I just bought an Xbox One to use in conjunction with my Xbox 360. I set up the Xbox One last night and noticed that the NAT was set to strict. I was going to open up the recommended ports on the new Xbox this morning and found this thread. My Xbox 360 is connected to the RG by Ethernet, and I was simply going to buy a network switch to allow me to use the same run of Ethernet cable for both Xboxes. But it looks like I need to buy a UPnP router instead and set it up in the DMZ. I'm going to get an older Netgear WNR2000 router since I'm going to turn off its wireless radio and won't need any of the newer WiFi technology. I assume that the 300 Mbps switches in that router will be fast enough for my purposes.

did this work?

my brother just moved down from NY, and we're trying to play GTA: online at the same time on the same Att uverse router....we can both get our xboxes online, but we cannot play in the same game at the same time....

I spent hours last night, trying to figure out 'port triggering' on the provided 2wire att router....to no avail. I also tried changing the DNS settings on the xbox (an online friends suggestion), and it allowed us to be in the same GTA: o session at the same time...for a moment, then I got booted w/a connectivity prompt, and it would not allow me to re-connect to ANY GTA: o session.

i'll purchase a second router (one that uses UPnP) if that will solve the problem, as we both are fairly active gta players, and its quite disappointing that we both cannot use the same provided att router to play the same game at the same time online on two systems.

thanks for the help everyone, hopefully i'll get an answer before i leave work today, and can purchase a new router on the way home today......

....actually, will any UPnP router work for my needs?

-whoDat

Message 44 of 45 (6,243 Views)
Contributor

THANK YOU SomeJoe7777 !!! This is EXACTLY what I needed, I had to read through this debate that was beyond no help for the person with U-verse and needed a simple solution. So thank you for the detailed instructions. Much appreciated!! I printed out your directions, followed it, and now I am happily playing on my Xbox 360, that I ordered about two months ago, because my original wouldn't hook up to wifi at all. So thanks again!

Message 45 of 45 (3,402 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.