CWin's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 7:17 AM

Would a router become outdated after 10 years of use?

I have been using the same router for the DSL Internet provided by AT&T for nearly 10 years.  Usually I wait till the power and the broadband link lights turn green, I would start my computer (either desktop or laptop). When the local network light comes green, I would go onto the internet.  But lately, I notice many times as the internet is being connected, the broadband link light would start blinking orange, and the connection to internet can be delayed as long as 1 or 2 minutes.  One time this light just turn red, and everything halts. It is just not like before.  So can it be possible that the router/ gateway is getting outdated, that it is not able to catch up with the speed of nowadays?

Scholar

• 

178 Messages

10 years ago

It becomes outdated if you're adding multiple devices that require better connection or bandwidth possibly. 10 years of service is pretty good though. Do you leave it connected to the power plug 24 hours a day 7 days a week? If it's becoming flaky it might just be time to get a new one. What model number of modem/router are you still using?

Explorer

• 

23 Messages

10 years ago

What speed increase are you talking about? My internet is stuck at 3Mbs until the cable company gets my biz. I had a 10 yr old modem alcatel speed touch home working until a lightning strike 9 months ago. It was spec'd at 8 Mbs.

A good reason to upgrade your equipment is that ATT won't support your old equipment if you have a problem. Having a supported gateway is a good idea if you have to troubleshoot. Call them and ask for a supported modem/router for free. See what they say.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry for the late response.  To be exact, my router is 8 years old.  It is a SBC Yahoo Gateway 2Wire.  I believe the model is 1701 HG Gateway that runs 1.5 mbps.  At the time of installation, I was using Window XP.  Since last year, I have begun using Window 7 and Google Chromebook.  If the adding of more devices that require faster speed, does it mean that the router is not able to cope with the speed for my computer?

Scholar

• 

178 Messages

10 years ago

Well the more devices connected will slow down your router's performance especially if it's old. If you don't notice any difference I guess you can say it's ok. Newer routers have faster processors and can handle more devices. So if yours is doing ok then I guess you can just wait til that one goes out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.