Admiralfeb's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2015 11:35 PM

Working with a 3rd party router

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and wish to use it rather than the gateway (3801HGV) that was provided. I realize that At&t doesn't support 3rd party routers, so I thought I'd ask here.

The current setup is: Gateway>Netgear>devices. The netgear is connected as a DMZ port on the gateway. They also have separate subnets. Gateway is 192.168.1.x and netgear is 192.168.2.x.

The Netgear has the ports open for Xbox Live.

I have 3 devices on the network that don't seem to be working correctly. Two of those devices are TV receivers (wireless and wired) and the other is an Xbox One. The wired receiver and Xbox are connected to a Gigabit switch over by the TV.

The TVs freeze and say they lose connection even though they show 10-30 seconds of the channel chosen.

The Xbox is having issues keeping connected to party chat. Games and other apps work properly.

To work on some troubleshooting, I connected the cables that go to the TVs to the gateway and the TVs are working properly, but I would like everything to be run through the netgear. I'm not the one who plays Xbox, so I am not yet able to test.

Is there anything I can do to configure the Netgear or the gateway to allow all devices to be routed through the Netgear?

Any help is appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

My router had an option to "Disable IGMP Proxying". The option was active. I disabled that option and both receivers are functioning properly now. They both played about 5 minutes worth of a local TV news channel. I still have the wired one on in the background to keep testing.

Also, the party chat last night seemed to be working properly as well.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

As my thoughts has said, AT&T doesn't support sending IPTV traffic through a third party router.  If you have a third party router that properly implements IGMPv3, then you may be able to do so, but understand that AT&T doesn't support it. I do not believe your router falls into this category anyway, so it's a moot point.

The symptoms of running your IPTV traffic through a router that doesn't support it is exactly what you've experienced, you get picture for 10-20 seconds after a channel change, then it's lost.  I'm guessing that your issue is that you have only one Cat5e cable run between where the RG and router are and where a TV Receiver and the Xbox are and you need to run traffic for both over that same wire.  Options are (a) get a Wireless Receiver, (b) use two VLAN with tagging capable gigabit switches to send the tagged traffic over the single cable, then separate it out at the remote switch.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.