Signaladviser's profile

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

Sunday, September 27th, 2015 1:41 AM

Wireless slow, wired fast???

Hello,

Just had a funny problem come up last night. I was running a speedtest from www.speedtest.net and it said my Download was 5.95 and Upload was 2.00. I am on the Max Plus plan which is 18MBPS. Now here is the weird thing. I had Wi-Fi setup on a third party router, a Netgear. I re enabled wireless on the U-verse modem, guess what, same speeds.

Now i move on to testing with a wired connection with the switch in my bedroom, speeds are fast and fine. What is going on with wireless? Turned off IPv6 and reset everything already.

I just find it weird that i re enable wireless on the NVG589 and it was the same speed as my third party router.

EDIT: Only had one TV on streaming SD content.

Any thoughts?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

@browndk26 wrote:

I live in Louisville and was having slow speeds to that server on the speedtest app. I tried different servers and was getting much higher speeds. Today I had no issues with that server (I just 16 down and 1.95 up). It must have been a problem with that server.

Hello,

You were right @browndk26, after working with ATTU-verseCare and testing wireless and wired with their website, it worked. The funny thing is that the server tested fine on speedtest.net just not on the app. I have included my reply to ATTU-verseCare, this proves speedtest.net's app has some problems with AT&T.

Hello,

I think I may have figured out the problem. I think the mobile app for speedtest.net is broken. Here are the tests from your speedtest link.

Wired

Download: 22.95

Upload: 1.95

Wired

Download: 23.01

Upload: 1.94

Here are my desktop speedtest results from my speedtest.net website. They show about the same thing.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4720998609

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4721003200

Now here is the one from my mobile speedtest.net app.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1394928067

As you can see, this differs a lot from the wireless test done from the website of speedtest.net.

All wireless tests were done about 15 feet from the Gateway.

Just to show that speedtest.net app is not working, here is another test from a different speed test app from the Apple App Store.

http://result.veeapps.com/18801091

So the cause, the speedtest.net application. The funny thing is though, it seems to only do it on AT&T networks. It tested fine for Time Warner Cable. I guess this recent app update messed some things up.

Thanks for your help.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

Did you look at the PC running the speed test and see what speed the Wi-Fi connection was at?  (e.g. go into Task Manager, click on the Network tab and look at the Link Speed column on the row with the wireless adapter.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

9 years ago

Hello,

Here is my results.

pic.JPG

I also tested from my IPhone.

IMG_0400.PNG

I have also went another step and checked for service problems with the resolve tool, it did not find anything wrong.

Any other suggestions?

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

That is odd.  I will cogitate.  You might want to bounce this off @ATTU-verseCare.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

9 years ago

Yes, that is what I am planning to do. Just thought I would check for suggestions.

I will post back the findings.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I work for a wireless ISP and doing speed tests via a wireless client is a horrible idea. Heres why: wifi operates on shared air waves- 2.4 and 5ghz. If there is other APs operating on the same channel as your wifi, u will get interference, missed packets, etc.

If u have an android device, u can download an app called wifi analyzer that will scan the air waves and see what APs it can currently hear in that location. Apple has locked the radios on iPhones and iOS devices so u cant do it with any apple devices

What band are u using for wifi- 2.4ghz or 5ghz? the reason i ask is that 2.4ghz is very crowded in many places due to everyones APs and devices. Also, microwaves, bluetooth, cordless phones and baby monitors to name a few all operate on 2.4ghz. Furthermore, 2.4ghz only has 3 non overlapping channels so theres not much separation between the frequencies/channels. 5ghz has more channels and bandwidth available.

If u live in a crowded city, apartment complex etc, your 2.4ghz wireless can be affected dramatically.

If u dont have an android device, u can try using the modem(if u have an nvg589) to do a scan and automatically select the best channel. U will be disconnected wireless while it runs this test so make sure to connect via a wired computer.

We get customers that complain all the time about slow internet speeds thinking their service(our network) is to blame. We have to explain this story about wireless numerous times per week to uninformed customers. 9 out of 10 customer's issues turns out to be overcrowded wifi....

one other note: i have noticed that the wireless radio in the NVG589 isnt that good. my educated professional guess is that its because it doesnt have external antennaes. I turned the wireless off on my modem and am using a netgear nighthawk with beamwidth forming and have no issues getting full speeds on my wireless devices....

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

9 years ago

I am using a Netgear. There has never been any problem on the 2.4ghz signal. I live in the country, no apartments. By the way, the test comes out the same on the Modem wireless.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

Hello,

Everything was working fine today. I will let it go and see what happens next. Love having 22MBPS back.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

8 years ago

I live in Louisville and was having slow speeds to that server on the speedtest app. I tried different servers and was getting much higher speeds. Today I had no issues with that server (I just 16 down and 1.95 up). It must have been a problem with that server.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

Possibly, i just don't know why a server would test slow for wireless and the exact same server would test fast when connected wired.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.