angtt82's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, March 10th, 2017 3:20 AM

Wireless router won't assign IP address to PS4

Today my PS4 wouldn't connect to my wireless like it does every time I play. It won't connect so I chatted with Sony help & support, they walked me through several steps, only to find out my router all of a sudden won't assign an IP address to it now. I've pushed the reset button on the router, unplugged it for about 10 minutes, let it reboot but it still won't assign an IP address. My PS4 says unable to obtain an IP address, how do I find my IP address? Or how do I make the router assign one?? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

The PS4 should not refuse the first attempt at password and then accept the second attempt. I don't believe you could be keying in the wrong password initially and then the correct one on the next attempt.

Apparently there is an issue with a PS4 firmware update in the past 24 hours or so. Please check this link PS4 WiFi Issue and see if it applies. Let me know.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@angtt82

I have to assume that the PS4 is the only device on your WiFi that is not working and that other devices either near the PS4 or further away from the AT&T provided router/gateway also work.

I suspect that the PS4 is attempting to connect to an incorrect WiFi SSID. Please confirm that the SSID matches the SSID of the AT&T provided router/gateway. Perhaps the best way to accomplish this is to configure your PS4 WiFi connection again, erasing prior connection if possible.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I've been trying to reconfigure it, but everyone I get to IP address it doesn't automatically find it, and I have no idea what it is or how to go about figuring it out. I was just chatting with at&t support and they asked for certain numbers from the PS4 and while I was trying to find them, about 2 minutes, she disconnected our chat session. So now I'm getting extremely frustrated, since I just wasted another 45 minutes with no help. 😕

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 9.52.02 AM.JPG

The above information is from a PS4 manual.

Please view this video: PS4 WiFi I am not doubting what you did on the PS4 but what I am interested in is if your experience is like the one in the video. Namely after you chose the WiFi network and you chose no proxy it should have eventually come back with a screen of how it configured itself. How was your screen different?

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Not at all. I choose my wifi network, and put my pw in, it says pw is wrong. I know it's not, it's the same it's always been, if I try to manually set it up it asks for wifi pw, I put it in, then it asks if I want to do IP address manually, if I hit automatic it goes straight to cannot obtain IP address, I don't know what to do. I've talked to AT&T help twice now, I've been transferred twice now, with no help. Now they want me to call some number that should help somehow

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

angtt82 wrote:
I choose my wifi network, and put my pw in, it says pw is wrong. I know it's not, it's the same it's always been, if I try to manually set it up it asks for wifi pw, I put it in, then it asks if I want to do IP address manually, if I hit automatic it goes straight to cannot obtain IP address,

What I have highlighted in bold is the first clue. I recommend going into your AT&T provided router/gateway and change the SSID and passwords. Make the SSID something like Wolverines for the 2.4 GHz and Wolverines 5G for the 5 GHz. Make the password for each Spartans. Of course you can make your SSID and passwords whatever.

Something is not right with something so I am recommending a new WiFi connection for the PS4.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I reset the PS4 to default settings, so anything other than game downloads were reset. So I had to go back in and set up an internet connection. But it's still doing the same thing

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

It definitely applies. I guess there's not much I can do until they figure out what the problem is with their update. I found that turning off my password for my router will let me go online on the PS4, but I'm definitely not doing that! Thank you very much for all your help! 😊
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.