For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Imconfusedtoo's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, February 24th, 2018 3:49 PM

Wireless printer connected to gateway/router but can’t be seen but computers

HP Officejet Pro 8600 has worked great for a number of years. Now, it cannot be contacted wirelessly by 2 laptops, one desktop and with iPhones (AirPrint).

Gateway is an NVG589

After several days of trouble shooting with HP tech support, I gave up and purchased a new printer (HP Officejet Pro 8720)

I’m having the same issue with the new printer. 

Printer shows it’s connected to the router. Accessing the router to see what devices are connected, shows the printer as connected. Devices connected also include computers and iPhones. 

Computers (running Windows 7 w/latest updates), fail to detect printer when trying to install new printer via control panel. Tried manually installing printer. Drivers installed via CD provided by HP. Printer shows as installed but trying to print test page fails. 

Since this issue came on suddenly, and since the issue is present with two separate printers, I’m thinking something has gone awry in the gateway/router. 

Any assistance on this would be appreciated. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I upgraded to fiber about 3 weeks ago.  My wireless HP printer worked fine with the old router but that had to be upgraded because of the fiber.  With the new router the printer would connect then after about 5 minutes it would go inactive.  Finally on my 3rd call for support last night it got fixed.  The tech said the printer wireless is 2.4khz and the router runs at 5khz and that caused my problem.  She must have started a second wireless that runs at 2.4.  She asked me to connect my laptop to a wireless that shows as 'Special Device' then configured the printer's wireless connection to the special device wireless.  The printer has been connected for 14 hours and has not gone inactive.  I connected my phone and again can print from my phone.  She said that my smart tv's will possibly has the same connection problem.  I don't know why this isn't common knowledge among  the techs because the ones from my first 2 support calls didn't have a clue.  If I knew how I would contact her supervisor and compliment her.  I don't know if this will help you but maybe it might help someone else.  I think this may be a common issue with more people connecting to fiber.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Factory reset performed and this seems to have corrected the problem. Thanks much.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

sometimes it happens that wireless router connected to the printer but it does not see because of network issues. 

Check the internal connection of the router,  whether the router is connected properly or not?

Ricoh Printer Support Number

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I have the exact same problem as the op.  My printer had worked for years and then suddenly I was unable to print to it from any device.  I contacted Canon and went back & forth over email and then spent an hour on the phone.  For them to finally conclude they couldn't do anything.  I called an IT professional and he said the printer is not showing on the network.  I have reset the router multiple times.  I have had the printer on & off multiple times.  I have manually connected the printer to wireless.  It shows "connected to AP".  I gave up and bought a new printer only to have the exact same problem.  Everything else in the house works - phone, TV, internet on all devices.  But, for some reason the computers cannot find a printer on the network.

Please help.  I haven't been able to print for months.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

Same problem after recent updated modem/router set up. All devices connect except my HP printer that has worked fine until now. ALL basic troubleshooting steps have been taken, so no one please comment with REBOOT THE ROUTER. Issue was resolved briefly via chat with AT&T agent a few days ago, but printer quickly became unavailable again.
Printer details state it's connected to wifi, but not the network.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

I ended up by doing a hard reset to the gateway unit. To do this, hold the small button on the BACK of the gateway (down at the bottom) for 20 seconds. During the time you are holding the button in, all the led’s will flash red and then go out. The top led will then turn green. At that point release the button and let the gateway reboot.
I’ve had to do this several times, usually after a power failure, but after the gateway reboots, I am able to print.
Hope this works for you.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

Unfortunately, that didn't resolve my problem.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for your response.  But, unfortunately that did not help.  I tried contacting AT&T but all they wanted to do was sign me up for a paid technical support service so they could assist me.  The printer stopped working around the time we changed packages with AT&T so I believe something changed on the network at that time.  It seems they should assist without me having to pay for a service on my account.  Not sure what to do now.  2 printers that won't print wirelessly.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

The last time it happened here, I also had to uninstall the printer from the computer and reinstall it after I rebooted the gateway.

Contributor

• 

14 Messages

Tried that NUMEROUS times with no success.

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

what is wrong with att that they dont recognize the router is issue and help resolve THEIR customers issues -?? I just dont get it-- I too have extra printers that work everywhere but with att router 

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having the same issue with both my HP 8610 printer and my QNAP NAS. I think the problem with the printer is that it is 2.4GHZ only and the BGW210-700 has some fancy firmware that tries to arbitrate between 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ. It seems this just confuses the heck out of anything that wants 2.4GHZ only. Additionally, it looks like maybe the router is somehow blocking the bonjour device discovery protocol which Apple ... and maybe Windows ... uses to find things like printers. This is speculation on my part but seems plausible. 

What to do? OK, one thing is sorta brute force but might work. If you go into the router admin webpage and set the 5GHZ radio to a different SSID ... for example, simply add "5" as the last character ... and give it a different password your devices will then see two different SSID's and you can manually assign whichever one you device wants. That seemed to help for a while but now I'm back to not being able to print. Another approach, probably the better one, it what the AT&T Tech did for another poster mrscobie. If I understand correctly, she enabled the guest SSID on the 2.4ghz radio and gave it a password. Of course you can change the SSID to anything you like, for example, "Special Devices". Then for those devices that are 2.4GHZ only, use that SSID in you network configuration. This approach retains the AT&T firmware's band steering technology and probably makes AT&T less nervous. The AT&T Smart Home app keeps telling me that the 2.4 and 5GHZ networks have different credentials.

That's all I have on this topic. Like others, I still can't print reliably. I'm sorry but I'm not going to do the MicroSoft fix ... reboot the router ... every time I want to print. There has to be a solution, it will just take a network engineer and some patience.

Good luck!

(edited)

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I found only two solutions to the HP 8600 (my printer too) issue with the B210-700 gateway:

• set up Netgear router in AP mode. Desktop has ethernet connection. HP prints wirelessly
  • use Gateway radion bands on connect my desktop via it 2.4 band. then i can print. This is a pain so i just use router in AP mode and log into that part of the network. Wirelessly i log into a different SSID from the ethernet driven desktop. 
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.