markiebeau's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Sunday, January 15th, 2012 2:57 PM

Wireless light coming on by itself.

I posted this awhile ago and got several views but absolutely no response. Anyone have a clue what's going on? I called Technical support and all they said was if it detects anything in the area with a wireless signal, it will come on. Not buying it;  I have had my Motorola NVG510 gateway for about 3 weeks. I just noticed that when my computer is off and my Nintendo WII is off (I also have standby mode turned off) that my wireless light on the modem comes on by itself occassionally and stays on.  This never happened with my old 2Wire. Does the NVG510 check for updates at certain times, or should I be concerned that someone else is accessing my gateway to use my internet service...or worse. How can I change my encryption on my gateway? I have found no webpage for doing so like I had with my 2Wire.

Any info is appreciated. I have heard how people can hack into others wireless because it always broadcasts a signal when it is on.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@markiebeau wrote:

Thanx for a quick response. I use the wireless mostly for my Wii, but as I said, standby mode is off. When I disconnect from the Wii, the wireless light goes off, but comes back on after a short period of time with all devices (laptop as well) turned off. How do I access my NVG to change these settings?

Click on this link:  http://192.168.1.254

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

78 Messages

12 years ago

Oops!! I think the last parentheses got included in the link by accident. Sorry about that 🙂 Try this one:

http://www.ron-berman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/nvg510manual.pdf

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

Here's another good one. Kind of a readers digest, to the point FAQ; http://broadband.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/p/1095,1096,1104#s=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..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@markiebeau wrote:

I posted this awhile ago and got several views but absolutely no response. Anyone have a clue what's going on? I called Technical support and all they said was if it detects anything in the area with a wireless signal, it will come on. Not buying it;  I have had my Motorola NVG510 gateway for about 3 weeks. I just noticed that when my computer is off and my Nintendo WII is off (I also have standby mode turned off) that my wireless light on the modem comes on by itself occassionally and stays on.  This never happened with my old 2Wire. Does the NVG510 check for updates at certain times, or should I be concerned that someone else is accessing my gateway to use my internet service...or worse. How can I change my encryption on my gateway? I have found no webpage for doing so like I had with my 2Wire.

Any info is appreciated. I have heard how people can hack into others wireless because it always broadcasts a signal when it is on.

Do you use the wireless for your own devices? If not turn off the wireless in the NVG configuration.

If you use the wireless and your worried about security, here are things you can do to the NVG to make your wireless network more secure:

• Set the Security to WPA2-PSK and Encrytion to AES. (will require manual connection setup on device)
  • Change the default SSID (network name) and Password for your wireless network. (will require manual connection setup on device)
  • Turn off SSID broadcast. (will require manual connectio setup on device)
  • Turn on MAC Filtering. (will only allow your devices to connect)

That being said, If the wireless is not turned off, you could see activity on the router for various reasons:

• Someone/something trying to connect to your network whether deliberately or not. (turning off SSID broadcast should reduce this)
  • The DHCP server on the router trying to renew device IPs or polling for new devices.
  • The transmitter/reciever scanning for a cleaner channel.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Thanx for a quick response. I use the wireless mostly for my Wii, but as I said, standby mode is off. When I disconnect from the Wii, the wireless light goes off, but comes back on after a short period of time with all devices (laptop as well) turned off. How do I access my NVG to change these settings?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Thanx. Did the MAC filtering thing and only allowed the Wii & my laptop to access wireless. Also hid SSID. Light went out immediately. Not sure if someone else was accessing my gateway or not, but I heard scary stories of people using someone elses internet.

Again...thanx & Kudos.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

No problem, glad to be of assistance.

Mentor

• 

78 Messages

12 years ago

@ Markie, I was browsing a few posts here and there when I came across yours. I'm glad you got a quick answer to your concern and I figured you might like a link to download the NVG510's Administrator's Handbook (PDF) just in case you come across something else you'd like to know in the future. (http://www.ron-berman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/nvg510manual.pdf) These devices keep getting more advanced and more complicated with each new generation so it's a good idea to have as much information as we can possibly gather for future reference. The only better idea than gaining the knowledge is sharing it. Happy surfing !

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Thanx, but it said "Page Not Found".

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Got it...thanx.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.