gamp-northwest's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, July 31st, 2014 4:04 AM

Wireless Internet Signal Weak and Intermittant

I have ATT Uverse Max, the Motorola router ATT sold me, and a range extender, but still my wireless signal is weak and intermittant--even ATT's automated Troubleshooter says so.  The Troubleshooter made a few suggestions, but they do not seem to apply in my case: my home gateway and my computer are in the same place, and the directions for changing the router channel were confusing since my system is currently on "Automatic" channel (which I assume means it selects the best one).

Short of changing internet providers, I'm not sure what to do.  I know from grim past experience that using ATT tech support will be a time-consuming and frustrating interchange with employees following a script rather than listening to my particular situation and trying to solve it.

My home is not especially large, but it was built in the 1870s and has solid redwood walls and an L-shaped floorplan that requires the wireless signal to pass through several walls--interior and exterior.  It does not have metal in the walls--just thick wood.

Any suggestions?  I have been reading about something called a wireless bridge.  Would thjat help me?  I am very tired of paying topp ATT dollar for a very weak wireless signal.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Letting the RG set the channel automatically is usually not best.  You could use tools like SSIDinsider for your PC or one of many Android tools to see which of the channels from the list 1, 6 and 11 is the least busy and set it there.

A range extender is probably the worst way to attempt to improve a wireless connection problem.  It is good for improving the distance in one direction away from the RG at the expense of total available bandwidth and increased latency.  If you need wireless signal more than 60 feet or so (depending on frequency band, home construction and outside interference) from the base wireless router and cannot run a cable to an Access Point, then maybe this is a route to explore.

Another way to improve wireless coverage is an Access Point, to either augment or replace the RG's wireless functionality.  You can turn pretty much any home-quality Wireless Router into an Access Point by following the procedure in post 13 in this thread.  The restriction is that you have to be able to connect it to the RG via Ethernet cable.

A wireless bridge normally connects devices that have wired Etherent and no wireless to connect to a wireless network.  I installed one for a friend who had a gaming LAN in one part of his house and the cable modem was installed in another, with no easy way to run a cable between.  We put a wireless router next to the cable modem and the wireless bridge on the gaming LAN and the traffic flowed between the two separate wired networks.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi @gamp-northwest 

Just checking up on your post. I noticed that JefferMC shared some great information to help with this. Are you still experiencing issues with your Internet service?

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks so much, JefferMC .  This is the most useful advice I have recieved regarding this ongoing problem.  I will try an access point and/or bridge, and see if these help.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, the problems with my weak ATT service are chronic, but the service seems to be going through an especially bad patch this week.  Just to give you an idea of what I mean by "chronic," I generally need to unplug and restart the router several times a week (sometimes daily) because the wireless system breaks down completely.  When I stream podcasts, etc. through the wireless system, the connection seems to flutter off and on, causing frequent interuptions.

I will certainly try the solutions JefferMC has suggested.  I have used AT&T's various Troubleshooting resources , and they do not help in my situation at all, although the Troubleshooting plug-in verified my weak wireless. 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

Might see SomeJoe's great wireless interference thread

http://forums.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/2303003#M1138

Also this SJ post about connection:

Please Read for a Potential Solution

For many people, the DHCP problems with the 2Wire routers can be solved by configuring the RG as follows:

1. Go to http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 which is the RG's wireless configuration page.

2. Change the setting "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to Disabled.

3. Change the setting "Authentication Type" to WPA2-PSK (AES).

4. Click the "Save" button at the bottom.

5. This procedure may ask for your RG's password.  The default password for your RG is printed on a white sticker on the side of the RG (3600HGV, 3800HGV-B, and 3801HGV) or on a white sticker on the backup battery (i3812V).

Disabling WPS should help with the DHCP timeout issue and general wireless connection problems.

Setting authentication specifically to WPA2-PSK/AES improves connection reliability on Macs and other Apple products.

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks so much.  I am trying to change the wireless configurations according to your suggestions, but the fields aren't exactly as you describe; instead of an "Authentication Type" field, I have "Security" which allows me to select WPA-PSK and then "WPA Version" which allows me to select WPA-2.  These selections/changes seem to be the closest to what you have recommended.  I also have turned off the WPS.  I will read with great interest SomeJoe's thread on wireless interference.  Thanks again!

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

Good, that should help w/general connection problems, SJ's thread will spell out interferce reduction on your signal. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.