For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
WaLT_k's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 23rd, 2017 2:56 AM

Windows XP computer not talking to modem

I have a windows XP computer connected via Ethernet cable (verified good on another computer) to a Pace 5031NV modem.  This was working about a year ago in the same configuration.  When powered up this year there is no connection to the internet, only the network icon in the tray with BIG RED X!  I looked at the modem and on Settings/LAN/Status- I see port1(TV); port3(printer); nothing on port3 (the computer) and port4 is open.  On Settings/LAN/Wired interfaces- I see ports 1&3 up and ports 2&4 down with all four of them set at 100baseT/full duplex.  I did clear all the devices, didn't help.  I did a modem reset (pen tip on red button on the modem) didn't help.  On the computer under network connections in tried to disable the local area connection and build another but I'm not sure I was doing it correctly, and whatever I did it didn't seem to change anything.  When I plug in the Ethernet cable on the back of the computer the LED comes on.  I try IPCONFIG in a command window and get "Ethernet adaptor Local Area Connection: Media State.....: Media disconnected", I'm not sure if this has any bearing or not, I was just trying to get/check the IP address.  At this point I'm not sure if the issue is in computer or router. 

Anyone?

Walt

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

It's possible that your ethernet cable is broken already. Also the network adapter of your computer might be broken as well. Have you tried connecting a different computer using the same ethernet cable and port on the modem? if it still works, then the network adapter is broken already. There is also a possibility that the port on the modem might be broken as well. if that's the case, have the modem replaced by att.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.