reswhiz's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 4:42 AM

Windows 8 issue with 2wire 2701 gateway?

Hello all.

I have had the same 2wire modem/router for 5 years or so. I have always had a steady, reliable, wireless internet connection.  Then, I decided to buy a new computer, and wound up getting a Dell 660s with Windows 8.  While the loading of webpages and buffering of videos increased greatly with the faster computer, my wireless connection to the 2wire is now unstable.  Randomly, when I launch a browser or new web page, I get an error message from the 2wire that the gateway doesn't have a internet connection.  If I wait 20-30 seconds, and try again, it connects fine.

I spent an hour on-line with Dell, re-installed the drives for the wireless card, with no results.  They said everything looked fine with the computer.

Since I have two 5 year old XP based machines hooked to the gateway ( one with a Cat 5 cable, and the other thru a wireless card) it has never had a problem, I am leaning toward a problem with Windows 8.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Change your wireless from B/G mode to B only this should fix the issue. There is an issue with 2wire routers and the G wireless mode overloading the router.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

zankuto, why would you want to go with a 10mbps wifi connection, unless you are trying to get distance. If these modems are five years old, it is time to replace, since they do wear out over time.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm having the same issue.  It began almost 2 weeks ago.  Numerous phone calls with ATT tech support led to replacement of the 3-year-old modem and eventual visits by technicians.  It was a relief to stumble upon this thread and realize what I had begun to suspect was the issue...Windows 8.  Having reached the limit of my technical expertise, I'm hoping that someone will stumble upon a "fix".  Smiley Frustrated

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Having same issue, except it is very rare that we can actually connect.  Had ATT service technician here after being on phone for hours with no help.  Replaced 2wire gateway with new version - hasn't helped at all, so this isn't a fix either. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I feel the pain, and thus I'm posting what worked for me. Let me preface this by saying that I have an older modem, 2Wire 2700hg-b. About 3 days ago, I purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 and was having the same issues expressed before:  Internet Explorer/Chrome would unexpectedly lose connectivity wirelessly, and within 10-20 seconds regain connectivity and alow me to browse as before. This would consistently happen at least once every 10-15 minutes and was very frustrating. Well, I tried just about everything and decided to call customer service before buying a new modem; I'm so glad I made the call, thanks Perry! Here's what we did:

1)  Went into the Modem System Summary and selected Firewall -> Advanced Settings which prompted the system password.

2)  Under Attack Detection, un-checked Packet Flood (SYN/UDP/ICMP/Other)

3)  Then, went to Home Network -> Wireless Settings

4)  Under Additional Settings (defaults recommended), changed Wireless Mode:  802.11b

& Power Settings:  10

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I spent almost 30 minutes on the phone w an ATT wifi support person; she could not help me solve the problem, although she did put me on hold to consult someone else.  She asked if she could call me back in an hour.  I waited almost 2 hours for her callback, which I never got.  Wow....talk about FAILED customer service.

Anyway....I took matters into my own hands, since I have both a new Windows 8 desktop and laptop, as well as a laptop that uses Windows Vista.  All other devices connect to the wifi internet - my iPhone, my Kindle, etc.  It was just the COMPUTERS that would not connect via wifi.  The desktop connected to the internet via ethernet cable (I was tired of fooling around with it and needed the internet).  After trying to remove/add networks, add the MAC addresses, blah...blah...blah....I decided to just go into the modem itself and DISABLE ALL MAC FILTERING.

BINGO.....PROBLEM SOLVED.  And I did this via the desktop's ethernet cable connection to the gateway; you will HAVE to use this type of connection if you cannot connect via the wifi, until you make this change on your gateway.

If you don't know how to do this, here is a step-by-step instructional list:

1. In your browser line, type your gateway address; it will be posted on the side of your gateway, on the printed label where your network key and password, etc., are posted, just after the note that says, "For Advanced Configuration:") and hit ENTER.  It looks like an FTP address.  I believe most follow this address:  192.168.1.254.
  2. Your U-verse 2WIRE screen should come up.  On this screen, click on either "Top Networking Features" or if you are already there, scroll down to the bottom part of the screen, find WIRELESS and click on it.
  3. On the LAN tab of your "Settings" screen, scroll down to the bottom, where you will see MAC FILTERING.  In this section, click on EDIT/BLOCK ALLOWED DEVICE LIST and hit ENTER.
  4. The "Enable MAC filtering screen" comes up.  You will see a section that has a checkbox that may already be checked.  It will be labeled ENABLED.
  5. If the box is checked, click on it to REMOVE THE CHECK inside the box.
  6. Click on SAVE.
  7. You may be asked for your gateway login to verify the requested change.  You will find this information on the side of your gateway, on the printed label.
  8. If this exercise has been successful, you will be returned to the "MAC filtering screen" and at the top, it will say CONFIGURATION SUCCESSFUL.
  9. Close your browser and try to connect via wifi again.  My laptop connected instantly.

GOOD LUCK....I hope this helps at least ONE very frustrated person, like I was.

=D

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

i have ALL my 4 computers hard wired into the AT&T DSL 2wire thingy and windows 8 takes it down...we just have to wait till some important Customer runs into this problem and then it will be resolved...microsoft and at&t need to get together and send techs to one of our sites that are failing to see for themselves, hook up their monitoring tools and fix the darn problem...in the meantime, it is back to windows XP, windows 7 and Ubuntu for me...i just use the windows 8 box for disk storage right now...some day it will be resolved...but till then, they will keep thinking anyone who says they encounter this problem is crazy...

singed,

crazy in illinois    

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Everyone - I have recently purchased an HP Envy 700 that came with Windows 8 and internet explorer 10. I also have a 2Wire 2700HG-B router/gateway (the version prior to the 27101 HG-B) which has performed flawlessly, for over 7 years, until now [with equipment running Windows Me, Win XP, Win Vista, Mac Os]. I noticed that the 2Wire router gateway DSL connection would drop (& by the same token drop the internet connection) rather regularly using Windows 8, especially after the system was trying to obtain new data on various web pages, and then would eventually reconnect on its own. This resulted in rather poor browsing performance. I was not experiencing similar issues with my other non-windows 8 machines.

After reading several blogs and recommendations from other users, I tested changes to the 2Wire gateway configuration (e.g. changing the wireless configuration mode [from multimode b/g, to single mode g or b], changing the communication channels, changing the power settings - tried various combinations, still to no avail).

The HP 700 came with Ralink RT3290 802.11 bgn wifi adapter. I thought that perhaps the issue may be the wifi adapter, and proceeded to disconnect the Ralink RT3290, and install a spare Linksys wireless G adapter (WUSB54GC) I happen to have from an older machine. Unfortunately, that did not change things either, i.e. I would still see the 2Wire DSL/Internet connection disconnect & reconnect while browsing.

I decided to stop by my local Best Buy to see what type of modem/routers they would have available. (The choices were a Motorola modem [no router], an ActionTec [modem & router], and an ATT/Pace 4111N - [802.11 N modem & router]). The ATT/Pace equipment was about $30 more than the ActionTec, and I took the plundge as I have been happy with my older 2Wire modem/router (until now). Note: none of the product descriptions state that either of the DSL modems have been tested with windows 8 (they just have minimum system recommendations of Win7, XP, Vista only). 

I installed the Pace 4111N, and thus far, after a week of testing, have not encountered anymore DSL disconnects with my new machine running Windows 8/Internet Explorer 10, and the Ralink RT3290 wifi adapter.

I am not sure if my solution (replacing the 2Wire 2700 HG-B by a Pace 4111N) will work for others, but it has for me. Hope this helps someone who has been frustrated by this odd problem...   

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

By disabling MAC address filtering in the 2Wire Gateway I was able to browse the internet without constantly being disconnected, or having a very slow connection.  Thank you so much for helping with this as I was about at wits end!

Again, if you are having trouble, try disabling MAC address filtering.

Thank you!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.