For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
schnappi's profile

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

Saturday, May 10th, 2014 1:48 PM

Will using your own router allow loopback connections?

Motorola NVG510 has serious issues with loopback connections (for example accessing a webserver hosted on your own network over the internet).

Will using your own router solve this issue? I am hesistant to think so since the conenctions still have to pass through the Motorola NVG510...even if it is "suppossedly" passing all traffic to your own router.

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

10 years ago

Default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (ASUS router)

192.168.0.1 (NVG589)

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

So basically, the summary of all this discussion is:

- The NVG589 doesn't handle loopback connections properly.

- Putting it in "IP Passthrough" mode with another router connected to it might work.

- That idea doesn't work with a WRT54GL (with Tomato Firmware), but one person says they got it to work with a ASUS RT-N66U.

Has anyone else been able to reproduce that, or get it to work with any other routers?  If I'm going to go out and buy a router to do this, does it make sense to just replace the NVG589 with something else instead?

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

9 years ago

The summary sounds right.  I eventually got the loopback working with the Linksys WRT1900AC router behind the NVG589.

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

9 years ago

No thanks to ATT (maybe they were trying to help but it didn't feel like it)...got loopback connections working with a ASUS RT-N66U with Toastman Tomato Firmware (1.28.0505 MIPSR2Toastman-RT-N K26 USB VPN) (http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

Cool.  Glad you found a router firmware build that would support loopback.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

I have a NVG589 without a router behind it.  And I have several webservers on my LAN.  As you and others have pointed out NAT loopback doesn't work on the NVG589.  When I use IE11 to access my web server from within the LAN I can't get there as expected based on this thread.  However, whenever I use Chrome to get to the same place, IT WORKS!  Go figure.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

Was this problem was resolved?  This all started when AT&T replaced the 2WIRE router with the Motorola ARRIS NVG589 router.   I don't get why it has to be a probelm or that its not easily configurabe.   I can solve the issue by setting my Windows PC HOSTS file to point the machine domain to a local 192.168.1.x address.

The problem is that all other locally connected devices, i.e. iPAD, iPhone can not resolve completely a local intranet web site.  Its totally random and the web site request never ends.

Why is this a problem for AT&T?  Is it a money issue?  I have a right to prepare a personal web site with a domain to it on m PC.  The Router IP is address to my home domain.   No problem to access it from the outside, but from the inside?   It doesn't make sense.  

So is there a simple solution to this or we have to get AT&T to switch back the 2WIRE?    I don't with to be buying more routers to connect in some fashion to it.    There has to be a simple setup to this.

Thanks

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

No, it doesn't work with Chrome. I tried them all. This is a problem with all HTTP Clients.  Its find with FTP or other protocols.  Only HTTP it appears.

Its hard to determine why this Motorola box has it out of the box to simple allow a loophole for the public IP assign to it.   Its only common sense that any request:

protocol://your_public_nat_address

is usuable from ALL locations -- externally and internally.   

The solution of using local IP address only works for the device where you have control over the IP domain resolution, i.e. the Windows HOSTS file or your own DNS server.   Howver, on devices like iPhones and iPads, which is using the AT&T router address 192.169.1.254, I can't set that to a local DNS resolution without some major DNS setup changes.

Come on AT&T!  Be a good guy here and resolve this stupid this.

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

8 years ago

I have everything (including loopback) working nicely with a Linksys EA9200 wifi router behind the NVG589.  Originally it took me a while to figure it out.  If I remember correctly the NVG589 is quirky with some third party wifi routers but works fine with others, because of some design change that AT&T made.  On the NVG589 I am using allocation mode: passthrough, DHCPS-fixed.  I changed the NVG589 address to 192.168.0.254 (instead of 1), and the Linksys wifi router is using 192.168.1.1.  I had to disable IPv6 on the NVG589 because that was causing big problems, once I disabled IPv6 it solved a lot of problems with addressing (even with regular IPv4 addresses).

Mentor

• 

92 Messages

8 years ago

ATT is useless. No more useless than any other big company though. Actually like ATT better than other big companies. But they are still useless.

The people writing the firmware for the NVG589 aren't going to read anything here and the ATT people here don't know anything that you or I (or anyone else doesn't).

There seems to be seperate issues merging into one here.

If www.yourwebsite.com hosted locally doesn't resolve internally this may not be a loopback issue. It may be a DNS issue. The NVG589 has a poorly working or no Dndmasq type system. Dnsmasq  is a linux package that resolves internal (LAN) hostnames before passing DNS requests to a fully featured DSN server. Think I figured out why too. For Dnsmasq to work you have to set an internal domain name (anything from lan.local, ect). The NVG589 sets no internal domain. 

Sorry if lost anyone. Am happy to explain further upon request.

Anyways hostnames not resolving internally may not be due to NAT loopback not working. Try entering the external IP (instead of hostname) before concluding NAT loopback is the issue.

If anyone wants their LAN to actually work (this includes NAT loopback, resolving local domain names, other stuff, ect.) get your own router (recommend that ASUS RT-N66U, even though normally don't recommend anything made by non-American companies), set it up with open-sourceTomato Firmware by Shibby (http://tomato.groov.pl/) or Toastman (http://toastmanfirmware.yolasite.com/), put it in IP passthrough mode on the NVG589 and then and only then will one have a LAN that actually works with advanced features.

ATT is never going to make the NVG589 work out of the box nor do they care. Vast majority of people just want the WiFi to work, which is totally cool, but thats all ATT is catering to. People who want more can bypass that piece of junk NVG589 that is required for UVerse and make their LAN work by getting their own router.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.