Will using your own router allow loopback connections?

Mentor

Will using your own router allow loopback connections?

Motorola NVG510 has serious issues with loopback connections (for example accessing a webserver hosted on your own network over the internet).

Will using your own router solve this issue? I am hesistant to think so since the conenctions still have to pass through the Motorola NVG510...even if it is "suppossedly" passing all traffic to your own router.

Message 1 of 36 (4,866 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Will using your own router allow loopback connections?

By the way, you might want to review the posts in this thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Setup-and-Self-Install/ASUS-RTN66U-connected-to-a-Motorola-nvg589/m-p/39790...

as he was able to get loopback working behind an NVG 589.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 36 (4,428 Views)
Teacher

Jeffer, I don't see anything in that thread that indicates anyone was able to get loopback working behind the NVG589.

While in theory it should be the role of the passthrough personal router, the NVG589 has a quirky way of configuring this pseudo bridged mode, and in practice it appears that no one can get the loopback working, regardless of the model of the 2nd router.

AT&T should fix the NVG589 firmware.  This is a huge headache for me as well.

Message 17 of 36 (4,325 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Not out to justify ATT's rude responses and denial of a issue (this is just the way ATT and every other big company is).

However got NAT loopback to work with a ASUS RT-N66U and Tomato Firmware v1.28.0505 MIPSR2Toastman-RT-N K26 USB VPN behind the NVG589.

Don't get me wrong though. The network is still wonky. For example a ipconfig command on a XP machine lists two IP's as the default gateway which is not possible (in theory).

ATT will of course blame user error, user hardware, ect. for any problem with router behind the NVG589. But wouldn't be suprised if a firmware update on the NVG589 between the first time tried NAT loopback and now being the difference maker.

A Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato Firmware 1.28 by PolarCloud could not use NAT loopback when behind a NVG589 (and is the reason started this thread).

Message 18 of 36 (4,288 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

What is your NVG589 firmware version?  Mine is 9.1.0h4d38.

Message 19 of 36 (4,283 Views)
Mentor

Same.

9.1.0h4d38

What router and firmware are you trying to use behind the NVG589?

Message 20 of 36 (4,266 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

schnappi wrote:

Not out to justify ATT's rude responses and denial of a issue (this is just the way ATT and every other big company is).

Who from AT&T gave you a rude response?  

schnappi wrote:

Don't get me wrong though. The network is still wonky. For example a ipconfig command on a XP machine lists two IP's as the default gateway which is not possible (in theory).

It is possible to have two routes for the default address (0.0.0.0).  I assume this is what IPCONFIG is showing you.  Have you looked at ROUTE PRINT?

OTOH, why are you messing with Windows XP anyway?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 36 (4,262 Views)
Mentor

Default gateway: 192.168.1.1 (ASUS router)

192.168.0.1 (NVG589)

Message 22 of 36 (4,195 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

So basically, the summary of all this discussion is:

- The NVG589 doesn't handle loopback connections properly.

- Putting it in "IP Passthrough" mode with another router connected to it might work.

- That idea doesn't work with a WRT54GL (with Tomato Firmware), but one person says they got it to work with a ASUS RT-N66U.

Has anyone else been able to reproduce that, or get it to work with any other routers?  If I'm going to go out and buy a router to do this, does it make sense to just replace the NVG589 with something else instead?

Message 23 of 36 (3,916 Views)
Teacher

The summary sounds right.  I eventually got the loopback working with the Linksys WRT1900AC router behind the NVG589.

Message 24 of 36 (3,908 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

No thanks to ATT (maybe they were trying to help but it didn't feel like it)...got loopback connections working with a ASUS RT-N66U with Toastman Tomato Firmware (1.28.0505 MIPSR2Toastman-RT-N K26 USB VPN) (http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html)

Message 25 of 36 (3,884 Views)
ACE - Expert

Cool.  Glad you found a router firmware build that would support loopback.

Message 26 of 36 (3,873 Views)
Tutor

I have a NVG589 without a router behind it.  And I have several webservers on my LAN.  As you and others have pointed out NAT loopback doesn't work on the NVG589.  When I use IE11 to access my web server from within the LAN I can't get there as expected based on this thread.  However, whenever I use Chrome to get to the same place, IT WORKS!  Go figure.

Message 27 of 36 (2,590 Views)

Was this problem was resolved?  This all started when AT&T replaced the 2WIRE router with the Motorola ARRIS NVG589 router.   I don't get why it has to be a probelm or that its not easily configurabe.   I can solve the issue by setting my Windows PC HOSTS file to point the machine domain to a local 192.168.1.x address.

The problem is that all other locally connected devices, i.e. iPAD, iPhone can not resolve completely a local intranet web site.  Its totally random and the web site request never ends.

Why is this a problem for AT&T?  Is it a money issue?  I have a right to prepare a personal web site with a domain to it on m PC.  The Router IP is address to my home domain.   No problem to access it from the outside, but from the inside?   It doesn't make sense.  

So is there a simple solution to this or we have to get AT&T to switch back the 2WIRE?    I don't with to be buying more routers to connect in some fashion to it.    There has to be a simple setup to this.

Thanks

Message 28 of 36 (2,142 Views)

No, it doesn't work with Chrome. I tried them all. This is a problem with all HTTP Clients.  Its find with FTP or other protocols.  Only HTTP it appears.

Its hard to determine why this Motorola box has it out of the box to simple allow a loophole for the public IP assign to it.   Its only common sense that any request:

protocol://your_public_nat_address

is usuable from ALL locations -- externally and internally.   

The solution of using local IP address only works for the device where you have control over the IP domain resolution, i.e. the Windows HOSTS file or your own DNS server.   Howver, on devices like iPhones and iPads, which is using the AT&T router address 192.169.1.254, I can't set that to a local DNS resolution without some major DNS setup changes.

Come on AT&T!  Be a good guy here and resolve this stupid this.

Message 29 of 36 (2,136 Views)
Teacher

I have everything (including loopback) working nicely with a Linksys EA9200 wifi router behind the NVG589.  Originally it took me a while to figure it out.  If I remember correctly the NVG589 is quirky with some third party wifi routers but works fine with others, because of some design change that AT&T made.  On the NVG589 I am using allocation mode: passthrough, DHCPS-fixed.  I changed the NVG589 address to 192.168.0.254 (instead of 1), and the Linksys wifi router is using 192.168.1.1.  I had to disable IPv6 on the NVG589 because that was causing big problems, once I disabled IPv6 it solved a lot of problems with addressing (even with regular IPv4 addresses).

Message 30 of 36 (2,131 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.