Will I need special equipment to watch Netflix on my TV?

Will I need special equipment to watch Netflix on my TV?

I have a Toshiba TV that is several years old, I don't know if it's HD or not. For cable I have AT&T U-verse, and I use a JVC device as a DVD player and sound system. Netflix's website talks about devices that it works with, but the particular ones I have aren't mentioned. U-verse has several interactive apps, but Netflix doesn't show up on my screen. I don't want to sign up for Netflix if I won't be able to stream it to the TV. If I need additional equipment, I want to look into getting that first.

Message 1 of 15 (49,180 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Will I need special equipment to watch Netflix on my TV?

[ Edited ]

mmorgan0678 - Probably the simplest device is a ROKU with video output to connect to your TV, You could do the same with a DVD or blue-ray player with netflix access. May cost more but you can play DVDs. Some content on Netflix is DVD & some is streamed.
Post your TV model so I can look up and see what inputs you have available.

You can also connect your computer to the TV and access netflix via your computer browser.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15 (49,178 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by skeeterintexas (ACE - Master)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

mmorgan0678 wrote:

I have a Toshiba TV that is several years old, I don't know if it's HD or not. For cable I have AT&T U-verse, and I use a JVC device as a DVD player and sound system. Netflix's website talks about devices that it works with, but the particular ones I have aren't mentioned. U-verse has several interactive apps, but Netflix doesn't show up on my screen. I don't want to sign up for Netflix if I won't be able to stream it to the TV. If I need additional equipment, I want to look into getting that first.

U-Verse is not going to offer Netflix streaming to its customers.  You will need a non-AT&T Device, such as a Roku box, Smart TV, Smart BluRay player, tablet or another type of streaming device (like Google Chromecast or many others).  AT&T has it's own VoD rental services and Netflix is a direct competitor.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 15 (49,144 Views)

I meant to post that first reply to the other answer. Does at&t offer something that's truly similar to netflix, pay one price per month and watch whatever movies you want? Or is it strictly pay per movie? If the former, where do you find it in the menu? I haven't found it.

Message 4 of 15 (49,080 Views)

[ Edited ]

I looked in the back. It doesn't have a usb input. However, it has a port labeled pc input that's the old-fashioned kind with screws on the side, one labeled hdmi that already has something plugged into it, and the tri-colored inputs for video and audio. It is hd.The model number is 42HP95. If it helps, there's something called a "chasis number" that's TAC516.

Message 5 of 15 (49,074 Views)

Your answer is the more helpful one, and I'm trying to provide you with the additional information.

If I can ever get HAL to open the pod bay doors. It keeps putting it in the wrong one, and then not letting me post it in the right one, saying it's not unique. Let me move or delete it for crying out loud!

I posted it to the wrong answer, and now it won't let me post it to the right one. I even tried to delete or move it, and couldn't find a way to do that. So, I edited it and posted it with no text at all. Seemed like it would work, but it did the opposite of what I intended. Now that one's gone and it still won't let me post it here, it still says it's not a unique message. Well, with this additional paragraph maybe it finally will be a unique message.

I looked in the back. It doesn't have a usb input. However, it has a port labeled pc input that's the old-fashioned kind with screws on the side, one labeled hdmi that already has something plugged into it, and the tri-colored inputs for video and audio. It is hd.The model number is 42HP95. If it helps, there's something called a "chasis number" that's TAC516.

Message 6 of 15 (49,071 Views)
ACE - Expert

mmorgan0678 -
Here is a link to the manual - http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2846771&isFromTOCLink=false

Chapter 2 has good explanation of inputs.

You cannot use any of the newer dongle devices that plug in to a USB port because you do not have a USB port.

You can use any ROKU or other ancillary device with Netflix access to connect with any of he standard video connections - composite (SD); component(colorstream) or HDMI, both HD

Your computer can be connected using the pc port - note that a separate audio connection is required.
Message 7 of 15 (49,068 Views)
ACE - Expert

mmorgan0678 - RE: Does at&t offer something that's truly similar to netflix, pay one price per month and watch whatever movies you want?

Check out screen pack - on the TV Menu - on demand - uverse screen pack

http://uverseonline.att.net/uverse/screen-pack
Message 8 of 15 (49,064 Views)
ACE - Master

mmorgan0678 wrote:

I meant to post that first reply to the other answer. Does at&t offer something that's truly similar to netflix, pay one price per month and watch whatever movies you want? Or is it strictly pay per movie? If the former, where do you find it in the menu? I haven't found it.

Yes!  U-Verse Screen Pak.  It is $5 a month.  Go to channel 9910 to learn more.  BUT, having looked at the offerings there and Netflix's streaming offerings, there is no comparison.  Netflix has more  / newer / better.  IMHO Screen Pack is more like the free Crackle service.  Crackle, like Netflix, is only going to be found on a third party device like a Smart TV, tablet and so on.

Look at current (unofficial) Netflix streaming offerings here.  Many more than Screen Pack.

Here is a Screen Pack review.   There are more "reviews" but most read like AT&T advertisements and make the service sound as good as Netflix.  The one plus is that you can watch directly from your U-Verse box.

Message 9 of 15 (49,061 Views)
ACE - Expert

mmorgan0678 - I responded to your PM. Click on blinking blue envelope - upper right.
Message 10 of 15 (49,060 Views)
Contributor

I didn't see it listed among the first set of answers, but the Google ChromeCast is an excellent device for under $40 that lets you stream Netflix, Hulu Plus and many other services. Just Google "chromecast"  It also lets you stream certain applications from your PC to your TV.  If you only have a single HDMI input jack, you might check around for an HDMI switch box to allow multiple inputs.  Some have a remote control, others are a manual (push button) switch box.

Message 11 of 15 (48,725 Views)
Teacher

dhascall wrote:

mmorgan0678 wrote:

U-Verse is not going to offer Netflix streaming to its customers.  You will need a non-AT&T Device, such as a Roku box, Smart TV, Smart BluRay player, tablet or another type of streaming device (like Google Chromecast or many others).  AT&T has it's own VoD rental services and Netflix is a direct competitor.

I have this same issue (not the same equipment but issue with streaming Netflix) and was going to ask here but saw this response. So basically, if I go out and buy a Roku 3 device and attach it to my TV and connect to the internet which is using ATT Uverse that I should then be able to use my Netflix account to stream? I want to make sure this is the answer before going out and buying the device.  Thanks!

Message 12 of 15 (34,965 Views)
ACE - Expert

tommy99 - The Roku is probably the best choice to view Netflix via the internet as an adder to existing TV & internet service.  There are a gazillion people using it for that.  It is the basic device designed to do that.

To watch Netflix via the internet you need three basic building blocks - A display, a "tuner/decoder/translator/software/app" and internet access. Each of the three must have compatible connection to the next one. And, the internet access must have sufficient bandwidth so the viewing does not deteriorate.

Any TV with an input matching the output of the next device works. A connection cable is required.

I believe at least 6 mb internet service is recommended & it must not be exhibiting problems with casual access - try streaming Netflix on the computer or any other video.

Netflix on the computer is a good place to start talking about combination devices A computer can provide both display and tuner functions & it connects to the internet. But you want to watch on the TV. Here is where to learn about using the TV as a computer display - https://sewelldirect.com/articles/PCtoTV.aspx

I believe chromecast is just another way to connect the computer to the TV  for display. When it first came out I thought it was like the Roku connecting to the internet. But, as its name says it "casts" from the computer. So, to watch Netflix it requires a computer connection, where Roku does not.

Other "combination" devices include -

Smart TVs connect to the internet & tune various sites. But, they do it through apps. If the TV does not have an app for the stream you want. it wil not work for you. Most smart TVs do have Netflix, but many are not very robust after that.

Smart DVD players are similar to Smart TVs - Replacing the display function with  the play DVD function.

You may only want Netflix now, but more streaming is the way of the future.

Message 13 of 15 (34,944 Views)
Teacher

aviewer wrote:

tommy99 - The Roku is probably the best choice to view Netflix via the internet as an adder to existing TV & internet service.  There are a gazillion people using it for that.  It is the basic device designed to do that.

To watch Netflix via the internet you need three basic building blocks - A display, a "tuner/decoder/translator/software/app" and internet access. Each of the three must have compatible connection to the next one. And, the internet access must have sufficient bandwidth so the viewing does not deteriorate.

Any TV with an input matching the output of the next device works. A connection cable is required.

I believe at least 6 mb internet service is recommended & it must not be exhibiting problems with casual access - try streaming Netflix on the computer or any other video.

Netflix on the computer is a good place to start talking about combination devices A computer can provide both display and tuner functions & it connects to the internet. But you want to watch on the TV. Here is where to learn about using the TV as a computer display - https://sewelldirect.com/articles/PCtoTV.aspx

I believe chromecast is just another way to connect the computer to the TV  for display. When it first came out I thought it was like the Roku connecting to the internet. But, as its name says it "casts" from the computer. So, to watch Netflix it requires a computer connection, where Roku does not.

Other "combination" devices include -

Smart TVs connect to the internet & tune various sites. But, they do it through apps. If the TV does not have an app for the stream you want. it wil not work for you. Most smart TVs do have Netflix, but many are not very robust after that.

Smart DVD players are similar to Smart TVs - Replacing the display function with  the play DVD function.

You may only want Netflix now, but more streaming is the way of the future.

Thanks for the comprehensive response, I really appreciate it. The weird part is that I have the latest in SmartTV as I have a 2014 model Samsung 3D TV which have Netflix app by default. But even with this built in, it may still be using the provider's info to stream and that is where I'm having the streaming issue.

So I will go and have a try with the Roku box as that is a fairly inexpensive route to try. I tried using the Chromecast and didn't like the fact that it depends on another device like computer or mobile phone to view/stream. I know, the Roku is another device but the Roku is attached to the TV so it's dedicated device.

Thanks again, I'll post again the results after I give it a try.

Message 14 of 15 (34,784 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

@tommy99  - There were a few threads on problems with Samsung smart TVs.

I believe there were two posted solutions -

Your TV may not be set to USA as the country & Try changing the DNS to google - 8.8.8.8.

Call Samsung,. They should have good advice by now.

The Smart in the Samsung TV & the Roku do work basically the same. The Samsung has proven to have problems at the detail level that may well be why you are not succesful & Roku will work. Or, there could be a more basic problem that would also affect the ROKU.

I have the same feeling about the Chromecast as you posted. It is essentially a wireless HDMI marketed as internet access.

It really is amazing how the range of apps available varies so much across these devices.

Looking forward to reading your post on your Roku experience.

Message 15 of 15 (34,721 Views)