For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
LynneCF's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, March 29th, 2017 1:56 PM

Wifi keeps dropping

My wifi has been dropping now for about a month. I've called att several times and techs have been out twice. The first person I spoke with at att when this first happened, suggested that I needed to get a new modem from att, which I did. It install fine, but about 5 hours later it dropped again. I have to reboot the modem by unplugging it and replugging it in and it will stay up for several hours or several days, then drops. The techs who came out check the lines and wifi signal and didn't find anything wrong. The last one changed the channel of my modem, it stayed up for 1 week, then dropped. I unplugged it and replugged it in again to reboot it. Stayed up again for 1 week. Rebooted the modem again and stayed up for 2 days, then last night went down twice and again had to reboot it. I noticed this issue started the day my husband got his new iPhone 7. Is that  a coincidence? Is there a firmware update for my modem (its model DSL NTR 7550). What else could cause this to keep happening? I shouldn't have to keep rebooting the modem

Community Support

• 

231.3K Messages

7 years ago

Hi @LynneCF,

Sorry to read of the trouble you are having. First we need to determine if you are losing signal. When you see drops, does the modem blink red? What is around the modem? Any electronics? Speakers? 

One thing you can do to determine if a device is causing the drops is to remove all devices and test 1 at a time over the next few days. We have seen issues in the past where a single device was causing loss of internet. 

Get back to us with the answers to our questions. We are here to help! 

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

No. All lights are green when the wifi is lost. We had no problems with the wifi until the day we got the new iPhone 7. When I called ATT, they had me move the modem from under the desk where it has been for years with no problem, to up on top of the desk. It is now about 3 1/2 feet away from the cordless phone base. It is now at the end of the desk on the other side of the (wireless) fax/printer. When the tech came, he tested the signal all the way to the living room and said it was strong. He even changed the channel of the modem and it stayed up for 1 week. I can't move the modem  any further away because that is as far as the phone cord goes and is already at the end of the desk. Any further and it would be in the hallway. There is a computer (iMac, wireless) in the same room as the modem (about 3 1/2 ft) away from the modem. I use my laptop (MacPro) in the living room. Also, our thermostat is on the wifi and the DirecTV. When the wifi signal drops, all 5 divices lose their signal. I have to unplug and replug in the modem. Tuesday evening (2 days ago) is the last time it happened (twice) and the iPhone 7 was charging. I unplugged the phone and the wifi has been fine since then. All 5 devices (2 computers, DirecTV, thermostat, fax/printer) were running fine on the wifi for several years until the day we got the iPhone 7. That is when the wifi started dropping. Both the person I spoke with at ATT on the phone and one of the tech that came out said maybe I should get a better modem, but I just paid $100 for a new modem from ATT when this issue first started on the recommendation from the first person I spoke with at ATT, thinking my old one was broken. After setting up the new ATT modem (March 3), it stayed up for about 5 hours, so it obviously wasn't a problem with the modem. 

Community Support

• 

231.3K Messages

7 years ago

Hello @LynneCF

We saw your post and will be glad to help. Please send us a detailed message by clicking here. Be sure to include:

• Name
  • Account number
  • Phone number and the best time to reach you

We will get back to you as soon as possible. In the meantime, let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I am having the exact same issue, my wifi drops constantly with the lights green. I checked the status logs in the router and it is full of "node drops". I will message my info to you as well. I have security system that depends on a solid wifi connection.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I'm having the same issue exactly. I'll be watching Netflix and it drops and says unable to play this title at this time and do a network check and it will say connected then disconnected then connected again and keeps doing this. It never did this before but I'm about ready to cancel my internet, phone and security and switch to cox

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I have exactly the same problem as you    this above note is exactly what I want to complain about

Seems to me that a lot of people are having the same problem with ATT????

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I am having the same issue except I can see that when I let the iphone connect to the wifi the lights go all Red after a short time (min) and then resets.  I logged into the modem and notice the iphone connects over the 5Ghz channel along with one other PC.  I do have a small Ethernet switch to provide more wired connections but tried changing the connections and taking the switch completely out.  So I turned the wifi on my phone on and off.  When on it crashes, when off I don't seem to have any issues with the modem.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

me also   how did you get it fixed?????

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I need help hope some one would answer my problem    I do not uverse...not available in my area

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Do you think that anyone at AT&T is reading any of these posts.....We are all getting disgusted...I live outside Youngstown, Ohio.....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.