For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
a0morr01's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 28th, 2017 7:15 PM

Wifi Mesh Network

I am looking into installing a Wifi Mesh Network, such as Luma or Google Mesh, in order to better extend my range throughout my house. Before doing so, I have read that I need the modem only but the U-verse supplied device is both modem and router. How would I go about setting this system up in my house? Do I need to get a U-verse modem only? Or can I switch off the router function? Is setting up a Mesh Network even an option with U-verse?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@a0morr01

There is no such thing as a U-verse modem as they are built into the AT&T provided router/gateway. All you have to do is plug your chosen device into the Ethernet port and configure the device as if you were connected to a modem. If the WiFi coverage for your mesh WiFi network is complete, consider disabling WiFi on the AT&T provided router/gateway. Additionally, consider implementing these three recommendations:

1. Disable IPv6 on your AT&T provided router/gateway - IPv6 is enabled by default and can cause a slow network and other communication issues
  2. Change the Ethernet port configuration for each port you are using on your AT&T provided router/gateway from Auto-detect to 100BaseT/Full Duplex - This will eliminate auto-negotiation incompatibilities
  3. Use Google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) on your PCs, laptops, tablets, and so on but retain DHCP

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Your implication is that the AT&T modem/router will automatically go into bridge mode and not double-NAT, which has not been my experience, unless AT&T is shipping a newer version of there device that can somehow detect this. If they do, please tell me how to get one, because my current modem/router needs a firmware hack to put it into bridge mode. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

6 years ago

@jeffreypvasquez, you need to log in to your AT&T Gateway at http://192.168.1.254 and configure it to treat your mesh router as the DMZplus/IP Passthrough device (the terminology depends on the brand of device, but the function is the same).  I normally suggest that you also (1) change the IP address range of the LAN side of one or the other device (either the Gateway or your new mesh router), and (2) disable the Wi-Fi on the Gateway.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Okay, all of these responses are interesting but very difficult for an amateur to understand.  Are these changes you are talking about something that the average person can accomplish?  Is there a guide for me to look at that will help me accomplish this?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

What mesh network do you recommend to buy to use with att/U-verse 

?

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you all very much, sequence wise - I am guessing

1. we hook up the mesh with SSID different from ARRIS
  2. move all the home devices to the mesh and
  3. then disable the WIFI on the ARRIS BWG210

Does this sound right?

Also, to echo the previous posters question, any recommendations (for or against) and experience with would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.