novakg's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, December 18th, 2014 11:01 PM

WiFi Issues with "upgrade" to 45 Mbps

Greetings,

I am really hoping someone can help here...

I decided to have my Internet service upgraded from 6 to 45 Mbps speed to accommodate our new passion for Netflix, general streaming and address rather slow pc browsing.

As of Friday, 12Dec2014, I have had 6 different ATT techs here on the past 6 consecutive days for service. They have fixed the outside issues on the local poles to have a better matched "bonded pair", changed ports, swapped out 5 different 589 modem/routers, etc.

They are stumped. I now have Internet service speeds of ~45+ Mbps speed direct to the box (testing via hardwiring my laptop to 589) however I cannot get much wirelessly...even in the same romm a foot from the modem/router!! I even bought an expensive router to add on but no change. For whatever reason, wireless is constrained to low speeds (~1-5 Mbps on desktop (not hardwired) to as high as 13 Mbps (from iPad 2-4 feet from modem/router).

The only plausible solution they (the technicians) all seem to think is the way my "order" is. Rather than a new order, they apparently added on to an existing order for this upgrade and seem to feel it needs to be redone. Whatever parameters my current "order" has may be too complex to decipher the conflicts? However, after watching them for hours doing smart chats, talking about BBX express, etc. I do believe they know what they are talking about.

My problem is now ATT seems to have dismissed me. Corporate office just called saying they will not be doing anything further on my case (#MI1406623). They are closing it saying the last recommendation is that I install a third party router (which I expressed I did, with no change) - - oh well type of response. When I asked about the possibility of redoing my order (my settings, whatever that entails), they blew it off saying they can lower my speed...this obviously wouldn't help anything.

To top it all off, they reminded me I am now under a new one year contract based on the "upgrade" to the 45 Mbps. I am stuck with a failed install.

Can anyone please help???

Thank you!

Gary

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

When the "router" or Residential Gateway/RG is switched out, it would (by default) change the SSID and password.  Unless the installer changed the new RG to have the same credentials as the old, then you need to set up all your old machines to the new settings.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

9 years ago

Or go into the rg settings and change the name of the ssid and password to what it was before. Then you don't have to change the ssid and password on your wifi devices. That is what I did when I got a new rg(NVG 589).

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@novakg wrote:

Greetings,

I am really hoping someone can help here...

I decided to have my Internet service upgraded from 6 to 45 Mbps speed to accommodate our new passion for Netflix, general streaming and address rather slow pc browsing.

As of Friday, 12Dec2014, I have had 6 different ATT techs here on the past 6 consecutive days for service. They have fixed the outside issues on the local poles to have a better matched "bonded pair", changed ports, swapped out 5 different 589 modem/routers, etc.

They are stumped. I now have Internet service speeds of ~45+ Mbps speed direct to the box (testing via hardwiring my laptop to 589) however I cannot get much wirelessly...even in the same romm a foot from the modem/router!! I even bought an expensive router to add on but no change. For whatever reason, wireless is constrained to low speeds (~1-5 Mbps on desktop (not hardwired) to as high as 13 Mbps (from iPad 2-4 feet from modem/router).

The only plausible solution they (the technicians) all seem to think is the way my "order" is. Rather than a new order, they apparently added on to an existing order for this upgrade and seem to feel it needs to be redone. Whatever parameters my current "order" has may be too complex to decipher the conflicts? However, after watching them for hours doing smart chats, talking about BBX express, etc. I do believe they know what they are talking about.

My problem is now ATT seems to have dismissed me. Corporate office just called saying they will not be doing anything further on my case (#MI1406623). They are closing it saying the last recommendation is that I install a third party router (which I expressed I did, with no change) - - oh well type of response. When I asked about the possibility of redoing my order (my settings, whatever that entails), they blew it off saying they can lower my speed...this obviously wouldn't help anything.

To top it all off, they reminded me I am now under a new one year contract based on the "upgrade" to the 45 Mbps. I am stuck with a failed install.

Can anyone please help???

Thank you!

Gary

Let's begin by suggesting that you ask for asistance in the U-Verse forums, and not the cellular phone (wireless) forums.

Next, if you are getting full speed (or close to it) hardwired to the U-Verse RG, then the problem isn't with the U-Verse line coming to your house.  The problem is with the wireless setup within your house.  There are many things that can cause interference for 802.11 wireless, such as microwave ovens, some cordless phones, and a large number of wireless networks in your area.  It is hard to say which (if any) of these is contributing to your probelms.  If you manage to go over to the U-Verse forums, you should be able to find many references to a great resource that Comuter Joe has put out for helping to resolve woreless configuration issues.  Try looking into that and seeing if you can find anything to help you out.

As I said though,  if you are getting > 40Mbps wired, and only getting 1.5Mbps wireless, then the problem is with your wireless configuration, not your U-Verse line/configuration coming to your house.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you for your replies, I do appreciate the feedback!

Just to confirm, I have tried an ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit router (model RT-N66R) yesterday and no change. The wireless speeds remain at 1-4 Mbps for desktop and 5-7 Mbps (at best) on an iPad located next to RG.

Also tried eliminating any potential interference I can control such as cordless phones, XBox...even Bose sub in case it's close proximity to the RG might have some electro-magnetic implication (yes, I am trying anything/everything).

Some of the initial tech visits dealt with getting good service to the house, getting a good match with minimal bridging. That in combination with seeing any other networks in the area (3 others, two which look lie they're with ATT) and testing during the day when others are at work not drawing signal is as much knowledge I have of determining other networks. 

As my wireless is nearly identical to when I had the 6 Mbps package, I wonder is there even a remote possibility my "order" (not sure if it is related to profile, but assume all relevant settings/permissions, whatever) may have some conflict resulting in restrictions of what can be transmitted wirelessly - - which seems to be an opinion/hypothesis from a few of the techs? One example is overhearing a smartchat where the tech kept referencing my order as having "16 per wire, which will never give this 45" . It just seems that having the exact same wireless test results (1 to 7 Mbps) compared to prior to the 45 upgrade is very curious. Interference, I think would be relative to the signal and having a much higher output to the RG like I do now should result in at least some type of increase for the wireless.

Not sure about purchasing the inSSIDer program yet as they want $199 and have already invested 6 consecutive days of tech visits which burned through three vacation days but maybe as a last ditch effort.

I am trying to hold out for a solution as starting over with another provider might be even more of a hassle and of course the EFT.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

9 years ago

I don't have the 589 but I do recall a post talking about changing the security settings(wpa2-psk, wep, etc. to improve overall connection speeds. I don't know if it applies to the 589. I will try to find the post and reference it later. Try checking your wireless settings.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

It is never a uverse issue, its a problem. After over 2.5 years of constant service calls for uverse/internet.  We dropped the uverse mainly because we were sick of having to make sevice calls.  Having a new PC and a new Mac both laptops and going through the whole routine of pluging them in, turning everything else in the house off.  Having the wire replaced from the router to half way down the street and still having slow, interupted movies.   Being out of town and talking to techs who tell me my speeds are of broadband speed on a $2000. Mac, I begin to wonder why as customers we are being told that we need to go out and buy additional equipment for something that we are supposed to already be paying for.  Like most of us, we are working day to day trying to make ends meet. Paying cable and internet bills that go up  constantly.  And some of us who can barely survive who are on disability and then you expect us to go out and spend a couple of hundred of dollars on another router which might or might not work.  Some months I have to choose if I can afford to go to the doctors or not.  And you expect us just to go out and spend a couple of hundred dollars on a router.  You big companies need to wake up and realize that us little people are out here and we will not put up with being taken advantage anymore. And you need to remember that some of your customers are veterans and disabled veterans.  They don't deserve to be taken advantage of after serving our country.   If you know there are better routers, why aren't you providing them.  I was in OH and their tech told me to go in to their office and request for my mother the best of their routers and to refuse any of the others that they gave me.  You keep giving me the same 2 for the past 5 years.  Its one or the other, please give me a break.  We are stuck with you for the internet, but one day that will change and so will all of your customers.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I had this issue today. They have it set to 20 by default. 

Login to your router 192.168.1.254

go to home network

go to wireless

on the bottom there is a switch for speed that goes either 20 or 40 max

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I had a baby monitor (specifically, Samsung SEW-3037W) which was running at 2.4MHz frequency, and it was reducing my 24mbps service to ~2-3 max.  I couldn't figure out why there were certain times of the day where I got closer to full speed (18-19mbps) and others where I was getting 2-3.  It's this realization that eventually led me to figure it out... wow, I felt like a fool when I finally put 2+2 together, but a couple years of sleep deprivation will do this to you.)

Anyway, I considered (most) interference possibilities, manually set channels based on what all my neighbors were using, and finally, it dawned on me that my baby monitor could be on a frequency that was causing the drop off in speed.

I'm guessing this isn't your problem, but if you have baby monitors, turn them off (not just the display unit, but unplug the cameras too).  Also, consider any other devices that might be running on 2.4GHz or 5Ghz if you haven't already.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I have the same problem. 

Upgraded today to higher speed.  Ethernet is fine but Wi-fi on my main machine is gone.  Not finding any Wi-fi devices.   The whole issue I have as that my wireless printer worked before and I could also "see" other wireless  devices.  The printer is 6 months old. 

The upgrade required a router upgrade....Took him 5 hours.  He was outside a while swappiing wires for some reason.....

In hindsight I don't think the guy knew what he was doing. 

Called customer service.  Once customer support found out the wi-fi works for the cell phones they switched me over to some sort of "advanced tech support" ....they wanted a fee.  I said no thanks.  Trying switched channels on router, etc....Note:  The router is right next to the machine.   No luck. 

Between phone, internet and cable TV I  pay AT&T a lot......not anymore.  Cancelling tomorrow. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

You guys rock!!.....changed the devices to the new router name and PW  (duh....).   All is well.  My bad.......Sorry AT&T.  I had long day yesterday and wasn't thinking clearly. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.