Why does the HPNA light blink ALL THE TIME?

Why does the HPNA light blink ALL THE TIME?

My HPNA light blinks all the time, even when the computer and TV are turned off. We have Uverse, so our phone line is also through the same "modem" (3801HGV). Would that keep the HPNA light blinking all the time?   If not, what does?     I've asked this question every way I can think of and can't get an answer on the Internet or any forums (without a lot of technical stuff that still doesn't answer the question).  Thanks for everybody's time.   

Message 1 of 4 (6,949 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by skeeterintexas (ACE - Master)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Why does the HPNA light blink ALL THE TIME?

sandgranny1955 - HPNA is the name of a group that established a standard for in-home communication over various types of wires. So, it is referred to as the standard. If you have wire other than cat5 for your U-verse service the RG, DVR and STBs use the HPNA standard to communicate between them. Since the RG, DVR and STBs do not ever shut down - only go to sleep - the HPNA carrier signal does not shut down either. This makes it possible to wake up any of the devices & send a packet to another one & have it processed.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4 (6,943 Views)

Thanks - that helps some. But does that mean that my RG (for instance) gets awakened in the middle of the night when everyone is alseep? What's it doing???

I have my security stuff set to scan, etc., very early in the morning, but that HPNA flashes 24/7. I guess what I'm really worried about is being open to 'traffic' I have no control over. Thanks again for time!
Message 3 of 4 (6,918 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

sandgranny1955 - Your STBs & RG could receive software updates while you sleep. The DVR could receive Guide updates while you sleep.

There are multiple layers of carrier & content. Think of it as a gated community. The HPNA is the road system in the community - that just carries the data that gets through the gate. The data comes in packets (cars). If the car has the code to get through the gate it does. If it does not have proper credentials, it is denied access. That is the purpose of the firewall in the RG. Only properly identified data can enter.

Especially do not worry about the TV portion. Anyone attacking the equipment in your house wants the computer with your personal data. You can turn off your computer if you have a concern, but the firewall is probably effective at turning away any attackers.

If you have your wi-fi on, you have it set with security?? Yes. If not anyone can drive by and capture your wi-fi signal with a direct path to your computer.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (6,908 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.