Iceman1365's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, June 29th, 2013 6:34 PM

Which pins on back of the jack are for phone and which are for data.

My modem is connected by a cable that runs around the room on the floor.  I want to insatll a wall jack to get the cable off the floor and connect the moden to the wall jack.  I think I need a wall jack with 2 jacks 1 for data 1 for phone.  Which pins on back of the jack are for phone and which are for data.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

This should help for the phone wiring: 

http://www.wireityourself.com/telephone.html#.Uc92fBCk8YI

This one for ethernet:

http://www.wireityourself.com/computer.html#.Uc92xBCk8YI

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Iceman1365 - That is what the pictures show - where each color goes on the plug/jack so that every connection is standard.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

Can't you figure it out from what is hooked to them now?  There needs to be a filter on the phone side to filter out the DSL signal. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

There are no filters installed now.  The tech connected the cable to the cable in the wall on other wall, ran it around the room exposed against wall.  He installed male ends to cable and pluged it into the modem.  I want to remeve the male ends and attach it to a wall jack and enclose it in the wall.  Then I want to attach the moden to the wall jack with cables, just like the phone is attached to the wall. I need the pin connections to attach the cable to the back of the wall jack.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Iceman1365 - The small jack/plug is rj-11, the large one is rj-45 if you goggle the one(s) you have you will see a site that shows the pin terminations.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I must be not asking this question properly. I need to connect the cable to the back of the wall jack  When I connect the cable to the back of the jack which of the pins do I connect the wires that are the data line going to the gateway, inner pair or outer pair.  Assume looking at wire side of jack, pins numbered left to right 1 2 3 4  Do I connect the data pair that goes to the gateway to pins 3-4 phone from gateway to 1-4. a six wire jack 1 2 3 4 5 6, data in to 3-4 phone out to 2-4.  Some where I heard that the gateway is looking for data on the center 2.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for your patience  with me.  The way it is connected now a cable laying on floor with two male jacks attached, one to the gateway (data) wire colors green, yellow, one for phone leaving gateway, wires blue, white.  I want to remove the male jacks and attach the cable to the back of a wall jack with female connections on front. then plug cables from gateway to wall jack.  Which pins for green -yellow pair, which pins for blue white pair

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.