Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Which modem is better AT&T U-Verse 5268ac or Arris NVG589

Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Highlighted
Contributor

Which modem is better AT&T U-Verse 5268ac or Arris NVG589

Jim, Not sure on bandwidth. I currently have the at&t U-verse 5268ac modem. The internet stopped working had a red light on the modem. Contacted At&T they determined it was the modem. Sent me a Arris NVG589 in a few days. In the mean time my internet came back on with the original modem and is working fine. The question I have is which modem is better?

Message 1 of 2
Employee
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎06-23-2018 9:48 AM

Re: Which modem is better AT&T U-Verse 5268ac or Arris NVG589

Which internet speed tier subscribe to?

Close living such as MDU apartment or condo or narrow lots?

The 5268, 599 and 210-700 are dual band with 2.4Ghz b/g/n and 5Ghz n/ac while the 589 is 2.4Ghz b/g/n only.

If have a lower speed tier of 25M or less all are good but if have 45M or higher only the 5Ghz will provide good wifi speeds.

If in MDU setting, even with lower speed may find the 2.4Ghz frequency range crowded produceing wireless interference and poor wifi speeds, thus the dual band gateways would be preferred.

Of course your device(s) need to support 5Ghz to have the benefit. Check manufactures specs if does not support wireless ac then device is 2.4Ghz only. Rxample is Samsung J3 phone, older laptops, phones, IOT devices.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Share this topic
Maximize your speed. View Internet Speed Help!
Additional Support