woohilo07's profile

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

Sunday, May 11th, 2014 8:17 PM

Which Residential Gateway?

AT&T offers a variety of gateways to their customers. Some of these gateways are specifically for their triple-play subscribers while other gateways are for their internet-only subscribers.

Normally, the gateways differ on the services the customer is subscribing to, and yes some gateways offers different options like wireless g or n.

However, my question is specifically about the modem. Do all the gateways have the same capabilities when functioning as a modemWhat are these capabilties?

Note: This question may also pertain to you if you are looking to change or upgrade your gateway. 

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

Some gateways(such as the NVG510) use the ADSL2+ standard while others(such as the 3801HGV, 3600HGV, 3800HGV) use the VDSL2+ standard. Some also can do both, but AT&T doesn't use them in both scenarios(such as the NVG589,5168NV, 5031NV). Also, some gateways(NVG589/5168NV) can use two pairs to double the maximum to your gateway.

Also, the newer gateways usually have better DSL chips in them and provide better sync numbers.

Guru

• 

921 Messages

10 years ago

Can you get the 5168NV?

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

@rdljr wrote:

Can you get the 5168NV?

Was that question directed to me?

The 5168NV is "rare in the wild." There have been a few cases where it has been spotted, but in some cases, it was taken away because they weren't ready to use the gateway in place of the NVG510.

In other words, it's not worth the time trying to get it.

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

10 years ago

Most AT&T subscribers either use the default gateway as a wifi/modem or attach a separate router. This scenario is for AT&T subscribers who use a separate router behind their gateway. 

For example, a 3600 HGV vs 5031NV, disregarding the wireless features, the modem is the same. Another example would be a 3800HGV vs NV589. Disregarding the wireless features, the modem is exactly the same except for an increase from the limitation of 1024 NAT connections and an additon of gigabit ports.

Darknessrise, based on your experience, is there a significant improvement to upgrade gateways?

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

@woohilo07 wrote:

Most AT&T subscribers either use the default gateway as a wifi/modem or attach a separate router. This scenario is for AT&T subscribers who use a separate router behind their gateway. 

For example, a 3600 HGV vs 5031NV, disregarding the wireless features, the modem is the same. Another example would be a 3800HGV vs NV589. Disregarding the wireless features, the modem is exactly the same except for an increase from the limitation of 1024 NAT connections and an additon of gigabit ports.

Darknessrise, based on your experience, is there a significant improvement to upgrade gateways?

The 5031NV vs the 3600HGV are not the same since the 5031NV has a much better DSL chipset compared to the old 3600HGV.

The 3800HGV and NVG589 are also not very similar since the same as above along with pair bonding and the improved HPNA standard included on the NVG589.

If the new gateways are used where they're intended, there may be significant max rate improvements.

The 3800HGV is at least 8 years old now.

Most of the newer gateways, due to their improved DSL chips, can have higher max rates at longer distances and make a long and troubled line sync much better.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

Opps for some reason I was going off of the year 2016 Smiley Embarassed  To be fair, even though it went through the FCC during early 2006, they must have been working on making it during 2004/2005.

I think we still get the point though, it's really old lol.

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

10 years ago

What DSL chip is used in the 3600HGV, 3801, 5031NV, and 589?

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Hi, Darknessrise..

In reading your posts, I'm sure you have forgotten more than I know, so maybe you will be able to answer my gateway questions.

Oct 2013 ATT decided that my DSL which I've had since inception was going away and as a result offered me a promotion on the 12Mhz U-verse internet only. Our community has a bulk Comcast contract for TV and I use only VOIP for the last 8 years.

My background is pretty comprehensive as I still build my own computers and come from the world of Telecom.

I first received in the mail a 3600. After calling and asking why, they sent me 2 more 3600s telling me I would get 5031s as well as billing me $149 which of course they will credit. The tech finally came with a 5031. I plugged it in and except for changing the ID & PW did nothing else.

Speed tests show better than 13Mb down and 1.47 up,,,,but using different browsers and different sites, it is quite slow in loading.

I then put the 3801 back...booted right up and the connection speed measures the same but connects instantly. Interestingly, the 3801 still has the 3.9  software as of today they never pushed the 3.11 yet.

I would have thought the scenario would have been reversed. Do you have any ideas about what I can check and perhaps change to improve this?

I thank you in advance..

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.