HaroldT_1's profile

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

Sunday, January 13th, 2013 4:38 AM

When do you get an i3812V/i38HG or a 3800HGV/3801HGV

I've searched through the board and I haven't seen an answer to the question. Is it because of FTTH/FTTP or pair bonding or just copper to the house?

Jim

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

For IPTV service (+ Internet and/or VOIP), the following applies:

If you are close enough to the VRAD to be able to use just a single line, you will get a 3801HGV or possibly a 3800HGV-B.

If you're far enough where your installation requires pair bonding, then you will get an iNID (i3812V/i38HG/iPSU).

If you're getting Internet only on a self-install, you will get either a 3600HGV or an NVG510, depending on the service available to you (VDSL or ADSL2+).

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I was able to locate this.  Shows the options for all services.  Standard copper, FTTH, and iNID.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

If it actually is FTTP/FTTH, then you will get an ONT on the side of the house (fiber termination point), and a 3801HGV or 3800HGV inside.

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

For IPTV service (+ Internet and/or VOIP), the following applies:

If you are close enough to the VRAD to be able to use just a single line, you will get a 3801HGV or possibly a 3800HGV-B.

If you're far enough where your installation requires pair bonding, then you will get an iNID (i3812V/i38HG/iPSU).

If you're getting Internet only on a self-install, you will get either a 3600HGV or an NVG510, depending on the service available to you (VDSL or ADSL2+).

Thanks for the reply SomeJoe. I've had uverse here in the Orlando area since it first became available in my neighborhood in 2009. I have to say that I've only had a few problems and none of them serious, usually just a reboot. All of the equipment is the original although I did add 2 WiFi STB's. My installation is with a 3800HGV-B, Cisco DVR, 3 Cisco wired STB's and the 2 Cisco WiFi STB's, I retired from AT&T in 1998 so I get a good discount. I have copper to the premise. I will be moving to a newly constructed house in a new neighborhood in a little over a month and my understanding is the it has FTTH. I asked the question that I did because I'm curious as to what type of equipment will be used to get the serivce top the RG. I would think the fiber would need some type of power at the house to convert from fiber to copper. 

Jim 

Mentor

• 

45 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you both for your answers. I does clear up my understanding of the different equipment.

Back in the day, 1966 until 1979, I was a PBX installer in Chicago. In the 13 years that I did that I saw quite a few changes to the various telephone equipment and switchboards that I installed. I can remember installing 300 baud computer circuits to various businesses. Times have really changed 10000 times over since then.

Jim

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.