Explore & discover

Helpful Links

What kind of cable connects from the wall to my wireless U-Verse router?

Highlighted
Scholar

What kind of cable connects from the wall to my wireless U-Verse router?

I recently moved from a house that had Gigabit (fiber) to one that only has 25Mb. The guy ran the line from pole in the alley, to my house. On the inside, he placed a box that connects a white wire to the AT&T U-Verse wireless router (residential gateway?). Anyway, the cable is very long. I would like to clean that up by replacing it with a shorter one. What kind of cable should I get, and were? If I unplug that cable to replace it, do I need to power cycle the router, or will it recover when I re-connect? Also, once they get fiber in my area and I opt for the Gigabit,  will that same cable be used? I assume the line coming to the house will be fiber. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 2
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by kokopelli_1
‎10-13-2018 2:47 PM

Re: What kind of cable connects from the wall to my wireless U-Verse router?

The white cable plugs into the GREEN port on back of gateway?

Yes, this is cat5e with RJ11/14 plug (6 pin)known as ATT data cable. If replace cable should re sync without needing to power cycle or reboot gateway.

If direct fiber is installed later everything done would be replaced. The drop wire from pole would be a fiber drop, the NID where outside wiring meets inside would be replaced, the inside jack would be replaced with ONT, and your data cable into GREEN port would be replaced with standard ethernet (8 pin) plugging into the RED port on gateway.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!
Additional Support