What is the best solution to extend my wifi in my two story house?

Contributor

What is the best solution to extend my wifi in my two story house?

My house is rather large and my main modem/router are in the 2nd floor. What's the best way to extend my wifi to the bottom floor? I tried a range extender, but it didn't really work. The signal kept disconnecting from the devices I was trying to use it with. Can I somehow set up another router downstairs to the phone jack without having to pay for another account?

Message 1 of 5 (2,244 Views)
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM (Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: What is the best solution to extend my wifi in my two story house?

Hello Eric,
Your best bet would be to run an ethernet cable down stairs and set-up a wireless router as an Access Point. You can only have one residential internet account.
Message 2 of 5 (2,217 Views)
Contributor

Running a ethernet cable is not always possible.  I had a similar situation.  My solution was to connect my old Netgear wireless to the ATT Wi- Fi.  Problem solved...

Message 3 of 5 (1,639 Views)
Community Manager
Solution
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM (Community Manager)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Another good option is a wi-fi range extender, like this one, I use one at home and it works great.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5 (1,451 Views)
Contributor

I'm hearing from Amped Wireless that AT & T has now installed software to block Range Extenders from working.

AT & T thinks people are shaing wi-fi internet with their neighbors and don't want this to continue. So if you have a range extender installed and it sudeenly seems to not be working - this is why, it's not the device.

Really shady AT & T

Message 5 of 5 (398 Views)