For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
eric_c_cali's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, March 7th, 2014 6:19 PM

What is the best solution to extend my wifi in my two story house?

My house is rather large and my main modem/router are in the 2nd floor. What's the best way to extend my wifi to the bottom floor? I tried a range extender, but it didn't really work. The signal kept disconnecting from the devices I was trying to use it with. Can I somehow set up another router downstairs to the phone jack without having to pay for another account?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

Hello Eric,
Your best bet would be to run an ethernet cable down stairs and set-up a wireless router as an Access Point. You can only have one residential internet account.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Another good option is a wi-fi range extender, like this one, I use one at home and it works great.

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Running a ethernet cable is not always possible.  I had a similar situation.  My solution was to connect my old Netgear wireless to the ATT Wi- Fi.  Problem solved...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm hearing from Amped Wireless that AT & T has now installed software to block Range Extenders from working.

AT & T thinks people are shaing wi-fi internet with their neighbors and don't want this to continue. So if you have a range extender installed and it sudeenly seems to not be working - this is why, it's not the device.

Really shady AT & T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have an extender and ut doesn't help! I have been so frustrated with Att because no one is really interested in solving the problem.

ACE - Guru

• 

987 Messages

7 years ago

This is an old thread that has been marked as solved.

Start a new thread, tell us more about the problems you are having and we will see if we can help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.