For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
bigjake8's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, February 23rd, 2012 1:02 AM

What exactly does the Belkin battery back up do?

Have had Uverse since 2009.  Had the tv, internet and phone bundle.  today I got rid of just the phone.  I was told the BBU was for the phone only so I tried to get rid of it and the internet and tv went down.  Can someone explain this to me I'm not very tech-savvy.  So I do need to keep this battery brick plugged in?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

The battery back up provides power to the 2Wire RG in the even that your electricity goes off.  It is required for the those with U-verse phone in order to provide phone service in the event that your electricity goes off.  

You can still use the battery backup even if you don't have U-verse phone service.  It will still provide power to the RG when the electricity is off and allow you to continue to have U-verse TV and U-verse internet service.  I have used it in the pass to surf the internet on my laptop when the power was off.  Unless there is some reason that you absolutely have to get rid of the battery backup, I would recommend that you keep it.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

12 years ago

At least two technicians have said that the battery backup filters the power for the RG.  Not sure that this is true but many technologies these days are dependent on clean power (free of interference).  Now the battery backup will not prevent interference that travels through the air, i.e. strong nearby AM or shortwave radio transmitters, CFL lights and such but it was recommended to me, to keep it, even though I do not have U-Verse's phone product.

Scholar

• 

211 Messages

12 years ago

Did you pull the plug of the BBU?  Since the RG (gateway, aka modem/router) is plugged into the BBU, you would need to plug the RG into the socket where the BBU was plugged in.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks everyone I get it now. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

It does nothing, unless you have a corded phone on hand to plug into it during a power outage. Your wireless landline phone needs house electricity to work. The battery backup is worthless. And still, it sits here in my living room, taking up space.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.