mderoy's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, April 21st, 2013 7:16 PM

Watching pre-recorded Uverse content while disconnected from Uverse

Hi,

I have moved to a new place and would like to watch pre-recorded shows while getting my new service in place.  Is it possible to move the STB/Receiver and Gateway to the new place, run stand alone and still be able to watch the shows recorded in the STB?

Thanks,

Roy

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

mderoy - Unfortunately, no. Paranoid Microsoft designed it so that it requires connection to the mother ship to verify that you have permission to view the prized content. It may cost them millions to allow you a little entertainment while you wait.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Not going to happen.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
mderoy - Unfortunately, no. Paranoid Microsoft designed it so that it requires connection to the mother ship to verify that you have permission to view the prized content. It may cost them millions to allow you a little entertainment while you wait.

It has nothing to do with Microsoft.  It is how IPTV systems are designed.  If the equipment is unable to communicate back to the VHO, it is not going to work. Same thing with your blu-ray player, Roku, AppleTV, etc. if you try to watch Amazon OnDemand or Netflix.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

When I had my U-Verse installed (2008), the installer disconnected my pre-existing Comcast from the main line.  He was shocked that I was still able to watch my DVR'd shows from Comcast, after he cut the "cable."  I could not watch live TV but since the shows were on the Comcast DVR, I could watch them.  He quipped "How in the h... are you watching that?  You shouldn't be able too."  I guess that he didn't understand how Comcast's simple DVR worked.

It all boils down to AT&T using "permission servers" to authorize viewing.  If the U-Verse DVR can't connect to the AT&T servers through the Residential Gateway, it means no play /  no way. Smiley Wink

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

It has nothing to do with Microsoft.  It is how IPTV systems are designed.  If the equipment is unable to communicate back to the VHO, it is not going to work. Same thing with your blu-ray player, Roku, AppleTV, etc. if you try to watch Amazon OnDemand or Netflix.

That's incorrect, Greg.  It does indeed have to do with the choice made by Microsoft, and it has nothing to do with IPTV systems design.

He is not talking about VOD.  He's talking about the recorded programs on the DVR.  Once a program is on the hard drive of the DVR, the delivery system (OTA, Cable, Satellite, or IPTV) is no longer part of the equation.

Many DVR systems from other providers explicitly allow playback of DVR recorded content even if there is no incoming signal.  DirecTV, Dish Network, and most cable providers allow this.  Microsoft's MediaRoom IPTV platform (used by AT&T U-Verse) is the exception.  It disallows DVR recorded content playback without a connection to the authorization servers.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Microsoft did not invent IPTV, they only created the platform that ATT, Bell Canada and others use for their customers to watch tv over IP network.

Regardless, if you do not have a connection to the servers, regardless what the device or service is, it is not going to work.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
Microsoft did not invent IPTV, they only created the platform that ATT, Bell Canada and others use for their customers to watch tv over IP network.

Regardless, if you do not have a connection to the servers, regardless what the device or service is, it is not going to work.

No one said Microsoft "invented" IPTV, that is a diversion tactic from the current issue we're discussing.  Do not change the subject.

Microsoft's implementation of their IPTV platform requires a connection to the servers in order to play back recorded content on the DVR.  That is an implementation choice by Microsoft, NOT a design issue with IPTV as you previously stated.  The OP is disappointed in this behavior because other TV systems he (and I) have experience with do not have this requirement.

The issue here is your generalization of this behavior to IPTV as a whole, which is incorrect.  This is a Microsoft design choice, not an IPTV limitation.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

All IPTV services require a connection back to the server, in order to work. It has nothing to do with Microsoft, since they are not the only ones that deaign IPTV platforms.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:
All IPTV services require a connection back to the server, in order to work. It has nothing to do with Microsoft, since they are not the only ones that deaign IPTV platforms.

There is nothing inherent in an IPTV solution that would require it to connect back to a server to play already recorded content.  The content is on the device.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@gregzoll_1 wrote:

Once a show is recorded to the DVR, there is not a requirement to have a connection to the server.  It's all in the way Microsoft designed the system.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.