Britman98's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, January 21st, 2015 11:56 PM

Uverse gateway NVG589 frequently rebooting!

I have read many posts about this issue and mine still does it about once aweek, does any one know of any updates about this problem as it drives me crazy!  I am about ready to cancel all and go else where for my internet needs!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

The NVG599 has the same problem. Disabling IPv6 resolved the issue for me.

I was having the same issue on my NVG599. Uverse techs visited my house five times - and replaced the gateway, UPS, fiber box on the outside of the house - and tested the cable between the fiber box and the inside gateway at least 5 times. I spent hours and hours on the phone with AT&T - each time having to start with a "new" issue. There was never any option to escalate the issue to another team and there was never anyone that would take ownership of the issue. Finally, after the fifth visit about ten days ago, I started searching and found this thread...and, after disabling IPv6 on my gateway, it has been up for 5.5 days!!!!

**** Uverse Support **** - please read the above and pass it along to someone that cares...and someone that can TRAIN your first level support to disable IPv6 on the gateways until a fix can be found.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @Britman98,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having with your services, but I will be glad to help. If the services do go down again, check the lights on your gateway, particularly the power, broadband, and service lights. If the power light is going out, there could be a disruption in the power source or an issue with the gateway. If the broadband or service light is going out, check your connections and make sure they are secure. Reset your gateway by holding the red reset button down for 10 seconds. 

Let us know how it goes.

-David T

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

This issue has been going on ever since I upgraded to the highest speed internet (45mb), Several techies have been to my home and have been unable to figure it out!  It's not a power issue, I have had plugged into the wall, power strips etc.  No errors show up and they tell me everything looks fine, I have also been told that when you reboot the gateway all the errors that were there are reset back to zero so that it looks like that there wasn't anything wrong!  I have also read that several other people with the same issue have said that the problem is with the lines having a noise problem that builds up and causes the gateway to reset itself!  I hear it only happens with the NVG589 gateway.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @Britman98 ,

I am sorry you are having all these issues. Although rebooting the router will reset the stats, we should be able to check the information in our historical records. I will be sending you a private message to gather more information and look deeper into this for you.

-David T

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Hello,

I am having the extact same issue with my uverse-gateway. Let me give you some background information. I have the NVG589 with Uverse TV and (18mb) Internet only (No Phone). About 6 months ago I added two wireless uverse boxes to my house I now have 2 hard wire uverse units and 2 wireless uverse units. The att tech came out to my house and installed a 4 port switch in a bedroom which we ran a cat5e (ethernet) wire from the Uverse Gateway to the 4 port switch. From the 4 port switch we ran a cat5e (ethernet) to a wireless access point (WPS  VAP2500) ATT provided this unit and it pairs with the 2 wireless uverse boxes ATT Tech installed.  Everything worked great then a few weeks later my NVG589 started rebooting. The Power light on the NVG589 never resets all the lights below the power light goes off and then the unit slowly comes back online. I have 4 different techs come out and we tried everything mentioned above. First we thought it was a power issue with the house so I tried plugging it in 6 different outlets in my house. I tried with power strips and without power strips. As of right now i have it plugged into a Battery Backup/Surge protector with Power monitoring to see if there is any power surges or drops in or out of the surge protector and it all comes back clean.

This problem is very intermittent it can goes days without happening then it can happen 5 times in one day.

I also have a Airport Extreme plugged in the Gateway and its setup to Bridge Mode. I did research some other Messages stating that the Apple Airport is not compatible with uverse, i am not sure if this is true. I checked the IP address of the Airport Extreme (192.168.1.230) and the IP address of the uverse gateway(192.168.1.254)  and they are different so they are not conflicting. I have not tried disconnecting the airport from the network because I don't think this is the issue.

The last service call I had in was with the tech named James and his manager name was Chris. Both local to Miami Florida. Supposedly ATT did a LINE test from the Master station to the hub that is in my area. I know my terminology is not right but i hope you get the gist of what i am saying and they reported back that there was  a problem with the line  and fixed it but I am still having issues with the gateway still rebooting. The last thing I did today was to do a FACTORY reset on my NVG589. I will post again when not if it resets.

PLEASE HELP ME this is so so so frustrating and I don't want to switch over to cable but if I can not figure this out  I will have to.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@Chrisreboots Might have 'dirty' power causing the 589 to reboot, a Tripp-Lite Isobar Surge Protector might be what you need, sometimes ATT techs have them on the truck.

http://www.tripplite.com/product/Premium-Surge-Protectors/825

Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I understand your frustration only to well, an att manager and his team are now monitering my lines to see what happens. From the research i have done my self it appears to be noise in the line that builds up and eventually resets the gateway!  When the gateway resets,  all the errors are reset so that when they check the lines it appears that all is well!  You have got make some noise of your own with ATT and get them to moniter the your lines.  Good luck.

Graham

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Hi Chris again, I forgot to mention its not a power issue!!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

turn off ip6 on your gateway

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

I had the same problem but once I turned of the ip6 the problem went away and it has not rebooted since.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.