donluz's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, February 21st, 2013 10:05 PM

Using your own router with the Motorola NVG510 - it absolutely works and it's easy to do!

Hello.  I am writing this in an attempt to save other customers (and the AT&T staff) from many hours of work and frustration.  I was a long-time DSL customer and had always used my own router behind the DSL modem.  A simple setting on the modem turned it into a "dumb" pass-through and allowed my router to handle all the traffic as I pleased.  Changing over to U-verse required a new modem and at first, that presented a huge problem with my router.

What took me about 7 hours of work, online chatting with multiple agents and even finally trying paid support with AT&T (and in both cases being told it's not possible to do), I succeeded in using my own home router with the NVG510 modem under the U-verse service.  The process is fast and simple (in retrospect) and should take you about 10 minutes.

See below...

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Don't count on telephone support to be able to help you with this.  You're in the "too technical" range.

If you don't really need the router functionality and you just want better WiFi signal, you could operate your router as a Wireless Access Point.  See post 13 in this thread for instructions.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I've gone through various of the suggested methods and finally have ended up with the following:

I have an Apple Airport Extreme (AE), which has only limited settings compared to the typical routers like Netgear and Linksys. I've set up the AE Network on "bridged mode," and with Internet settings on DHCP. The AE has "acquired" an IPv4 address of 192.168.1.67 from the NVG 510 whose router address is 192.168.1.254. Under the Internet settings it allows me to enter my own DNS addresses (I use 8.8.8.8 from Google and 208.67.222.222 from OpenDNS) which I assume the system uses now rather than the AT&T DNS addresses (is there a way to check this?). I think I might have had to first set the AE to a manual IP address before then going to DHCP--I can't recall.

The NVG51 settings are essentially unchanged from default. It is set on "off", not to passthrough or anything else. I didn't make any changes in the IPv4 address range on the NVG510. The NVG510 wireless function is turned off and the NVG510 has a cable going to the AE input. That's it.

The DL and UL speeds are about 14 and .9 respectively, which is as expected with UVerse.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am having issues and need some advice on what i can do. I have 2 xboxes with xbox live accounts. One of us can play but the other is having NAT errors that says its at moderate. I have called both xbox live and they said to call my internet service provider and i did that and they want 50 bucks and thats no guarnetee they can fix the issue.

My question is how is the easiest way for me to set this Motorola NVG510 to open NAT up so we can both play?

What is ur suggestions on what i should do......... help please

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

If I were to do this, which router would be my best bet for my xbox 360? I just wanna be able to play and connect to anyone in a party without any problems. BTW, we do have multiple Xboxs in the houses, and other consoles as well.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I registered just to give this post a bump because it works (Linksys E4200 router over here). Just rememeber to follow the instructions EXACTLY!

Thanks for the help!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

You have opened my eyes up. I just signed up for att static IP address. My intent is to assign the static IP address to my router, but when I place in the information to assign the IP address, it gives me the error static IP address and default gateway must come from the same subnet.

Can you or anyone help?

Voyager

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Hi ,

I followed your instructions to connect my Asus RT-AC68U router behnd my NVG modem,

everything seamed fine, my Asus did instruct me to change it's default IP from 192.168.1.1, it selected 192.168.2.1, other than that part now problems, did the reboot fo the modem and my router, fired it all up and my router was working, connected some devices and all was good.

That was until I tried to turn on the Uverse STB,  I have 2 boxes, the one that connects to the NVG moem just shows the blue screen with the "ATT Uverse" logo, I did reset it but  it always got stuck at the blue screen,

I then went upstairs to the my other STB, it seamed to be ok, TV picture working fine, I then decided to reboot that one also, and it then went the same state as my main STB - stuck at "Blue Screen" with ATT logo etc,

so I then reverted back to my original (default) settings and disconnected my Router, turned back on the NVG wireless, turned off the IP Pass through and changed the Private LAN subnet back to what it was before I changed anything,

When I did the initial set up I did not remove the STB connection to the Modem LAN port, not sure if that has a play here,

it does sound lke I am missing a step that will allow my wifi to flow via my router and my STB's to provide the TV service,

any help or gudiance appreciated,

I have to say I have tried twice before to set up my router with little success until I found this thread, ad now I managed to get the Wireless part working so I can use my A/C router on 5G for smooth streaming but need my STB's to play nice also,

thanks in advance,

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

This setup will also work for using your own router with the NVG510 ( http://www.ron-berman.com/2011/11/24/motorola-nvg510-help-page-for-att-u-verse-users/)

On the NVG510:

1. Under "Home Network->Subnets & DHCP":
- Device IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.254 (this is the default)
- DHCPv4 Start Address: 192.168.1.1
- DHCPv4 End Address:  192.168.1.1
(This tells the NVG510 to only allocate one address to a device connected to it)

2. Under "Home Network->Wireless"
- Wireless Operation: Off
(Since you will be using your own WiFi router)

3. Under "Firewall->IP Passthrough"
- Allocation Mode: Passthrough
- Passthrough Mode: DHCPS-fixed
- Passthrough Fixed MAC Address:
(You can find your home router MAC address on the home router's status page.
Make sure to enter the WAN MAC address).

3. Under "Home Network->Configuration", change IPv6 to "Off", unless you know how to configure IPv6 to work with your router. This will save you some issues in the future.

On the Home Router

1. Make sure the home router allocates DHCP addresses on the LAN on a different range than 192.168.1.xxx. For example, 192.168.2.xxx will work (with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0) or 10.0.0.1 will work (with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0)2.

2. Tell the router to use a fixed WAN IP address (to not use DHCP to get an IP address from the NVG510). Then use the address from the NVG510 configuration page under "Broadband->Broadband IPv4 Address" as the WAN IP address, 255.255.0.0 as the subnet mask, the address under "Broadband->Gateway IPv4 Address" as the gateway address and the DNS server addresses from question #4 above as the primary and secondary addresses. 

. I had problem getting my Xbox One Nat off strict with it though. It was like the NVG wasnt letting my router outside the LAN. Even with me setting the port forwards up on the NVG with router IP as the source. But this setup worked. But it still seems when I turn on my Xbox my network speed drops. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

So I did all that was stated. It worked fantastically...until. About 1 hour later, I lost internet connection on all devices. Kept getting invalid ip config errors. I hard reset the uverse modem and have service back. Did I do something wrong?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Did you restart everything after the initial settings was configured? If
you never then that could have been your problem. But if you have any
issues post again and I will help ya out as much as I can.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.