donluz's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, February 21st, 2013 10:05 PM

Using your own router with the Motorola NVG510 - it absolutely works and it's easy to do!

Hello.  I am writing this in an attempt to save other customers (and the AT&T staff) from many hours of work and frustration.  I was a long-time DSL customer and had always used my own router behind the DSL modem.  A simple setting on the modem turned it into a "dumb" pass-through and allowed my router to handle all the traffic as I pleased.  Changing over to U-verse required a new modem and at first, that presented a huge problem with my router.

What took me about 7 hours of work, online chatting with multiple agents and even finally trying paid support with AT&T (and in both cases being told it's not possible to do), I succeeded in using my own home router with the NVG510 modem under the U-verse service.  The process is fast and simple (in retrospect) and should take you about 10 minutes.

See below...

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

10 years ago

I had the UVerse NVG589 installed about three weeks ago, and need to get my security cameras back online, so I can view them remotely.  I was on AT&T DSL prior with a Superstream modem, and now with this new modem I can not find the Port Forwarding Mode to work on this. 

After reading this blog, I see others have struggled too, but Steve74123 may have my answer.  I had a D-Link router connected to my old DSL modem; prior to this changeover.  Now I see I need to connect this router to the NVG589 to get my system back to normal. 

Seems like I really won't have to change much on my router, just plug it into an open port on the NVG589 and set the NVG589 to Passthrough mode, andset my routers address to the NVG589 access IP address.  I hope this works.  If it does, I'll post some pictures on here next week. 

By the way, I  only have internet access and no TV or Phone on this NVG589.  Just fyi....

Fingers crossed....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I tried to change the address in the first step but I don't know if I'm doing it right. I'm using a linksys e1000 behind a nvg589. Do I change the start and ending or do I select cascading and then change it?? I'm so confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I got my NVG589 today, just got everything working. It's very simple.

Connect your personal router to your computer and login to the administration panel.

Change your router IP to 192.168.2.1 you should be able to keep everything else the same.

Connect your router to your modem at this point you should be able to connect to the internet, in order to make your router have full control go to 192.168.1.254 on your PC after the modem and router is connected, go to Firewall > IP Passthrough change Allocation Mode to Default Server. Under Default Server Internal Address your router IP will be showing select it from the list, mine was 192.168.1.68

Save settings and reboot modem. Once it reboots you should be golden. All my game systems now show NAT Open, and no longer have connection problems. I tried all the post I could find.

You may or may not have to disable packet filters, I did since my router has this feature. You may also want to go into  Home Network > Wireless and disable the wireless so you don't have two showing on your laptop.

Hope this helps someone else. I did 3 resets until I got my settings right, and it was much more simple than people were making it seem. Smiley Wink

Here's my router settings, it's a Linksys WRT150N (yeah its old). I am using OpenDNS servers, you can leave those default. These are the only settings on your router you need to change to make it work with the NVG589 or any other modem. I have been using these for years, 5 different modems. My main issue was the Strict Nat, and very slow connections speeds and the modem settings fixed that.

router settings.jpg

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Uh - double NAT.  Good luck with that.

Set the NVG to passthrough, set the WAN on your router to DHCP, and go with it.

- or -

turn your router/AP into a bridge and go that route.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have the Motorola NVG510 and another Netgear router WGR614v6 . I have followed your steps and nothing works. Help.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

1) I got the setup to work, with the second Linksys E1200 router, directly connect to the nvg510 lan port in the back.  I hide the nvg510 SSID. 

- Is there a way to disable the nvg510 LAN ports in the back.  If yes then I can setup the 2nd router through wireless.

2) the e1200 now uses OpenDNS.  My next question is I want to register my network with OpenDNS, so I can modify using my own filtering configuration/categories.  When I tried to add ip address, the e1200 ip address is a private network address, so I cannot add.  The nvg510 ip address already existed according to OpenDNS. 

- Which ip address can/should I use to register under my OpenDNS account?  So I can block some of the categories.

tia

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Much thanks for these instructions.  it is a year later and still a valuable post.

One small detail that is easily missed by a novice:

You say to set the DHCP address to 192.168.1.1  in the NGV510.  This is the default address of Linksys routers and causes an IP conflict.

So with these instrucitons we end up changing the Linksys address to 192.168.0.110.   Many novices will not realize as soon as they do this they can no longer log back on their Linksys routers with the default address.

Seems like a simple little detail, but if the instructions where clearer on this point my setup time would have been about 15 minutes instead of 3 frustrating hours trying to figure out the IP address conflict issue.

I suggest editing instructions for leaving the Linksys IP address as it's default and setting the DHCP in thel NVG510 to something different.   Then maybe we wouldn't have to reconfigure much in the Linksys.

I figured out the the instrucitons above and just left it working as is.  Then taped a note to the router with the new IP address for reference in a year or two when I forget all of this.

So Uverse in my area isn't any better than the DSL I replaced.  Now that it is working, I'm not impressed with the service.   It is within parameters.  Download speed is acceptable, but Upload is disappointing.   It is the Upload speed I wanted to upgrade the most and on that I didn't get what was expected.

Got a great settup deal, switched for virtually no cost because ATT was pretty deseprate to get me off the Analog DSL network and on the digital Uverse.   But at the end of the 12 months when prices jump up and the service is still disappointing, I might end up going back to cable as a better price option.  I hope ATT gets their act together by then because I really dislike the cable company here.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hello all, I'm new to the Uverse setup and have been able to make the changes that are needed to use my own Asus AC router with the ATT RG. One question that I have is that now this is all setup and everything works how do you get the ATT Uverse App to connect? My 3 TV's work without any issues but when on my Phone or Tablet on my local wireless (Asus not the RG) I can't get the Uverse app to realize that I am on my home network so no remote, no local channels and I can only see the out of home live shows. If I turn on the ATT RG wireless and connect to it, the APP's work like they should.

Also when I run a tracert to the internet I hit the Asus gateway and then the RG gateway and then my external IP address. If I look at the ASUS WAN setting I have the external IP address gateway as the WAN gateway.

Any information will be helpfull. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@Sinman wrote:

Also when I run a tracert to the internet I hit the Asus gateway and then the RG gateway and then my external IP address. If I look at the ASUS WAN setting I have the external IP address gateway as the WAN gateway.

The NVG doesn't have a true bridge mode, so it still routes the packets from the ASUS and is thus a hop.  

@Sinman wrote:

Hello all, I'm new to the Uverse setup and have been able to make the changes that are needed to use my own Asus AC router with the ATT RG. One question that I have is that now this is all setup and everything works how do you get the ATT Uverse App to connect? My 3 TV's work without any issues but when on my Phone or Tablet on my local wireless (Asus not the RG) I can't get the Uverse app to realize that I am on my home network so no remote, no local channels and I can only see the out of home live shows. If I turn on the ATT RG wireless and connect to it, the APP's work like they should.

I don't think AT&T has documented just how a mobile device decides that it is in a U-verse home network, but I believe that it is by using a discovery protocol with the RG.  Your ASUS router doesn't pass that protocol between your RG and your mobile device, thus the mobile device doesn't know that it's in-home.  I've seen posts where users were able to convince some models of Cisco router to pass the traffic necessary so that U-verse connected apps work.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will call support and see what I can get out of them. I would like to be able to turn the wireless off on the RG and use my own for the in home features on my tablets and phones.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.