Eyost's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Sunday, May 8th, 2011 12:54 AM

Using AirPort Extreme as main wireless point with Residential Gateway along with Airport Express?

Hi all,

I currently am using the RG as the main wireless point with an AirPort Extreme in bridge mode for wireless printing with the printer that is connected to the AirPort.

What I would like to do is flip it so that the AirPort would be my main wireless network point with the RG acting as the high-speed modem. I envision having the phone, high speed, and set top boxes connected to the RG with all of the computers and printers connected to the AirPort.

What would be the recommended way of connecting this. I have a limited experience in networking, so feel free to talk step-by-step. In addition, I have an AirPort Express that I would like to connect to a DirecTV set top box that I would like to be able to connect to the internet through the Extreme. 

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Ed

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

@mjwilly wrote:

When you say "use the airport's NAT/DHCP" are you using the bridge function or distributing DHCP, or (I assume) using the single IP address with wireless clients using DHCP and NAT?  And if it's the single IP address with NAT/DHCP, what other configuration do you need for security?  Thanks.

Bridge mode on the AEBS makes it a fancy wireless access point which is easy to tell your ip will start with 192. if in bridge if it is in NAT it will start with 10. On the setup select distribute ip instead of bridge and set the RG in DMZ.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

@oz_1 wrote:

Bridge mode on the AEBS makes it a fancy wireless access point which is easy to tell your ip will start with 192. if in bridge if it is in NAT it will start with 10. On the setup select distribute ip instead of bridge and set the RG in DMZ.

Please explain in detail, step by step.

@I am using the Apple Extreme as the wireless as described, a "fancy WAP" now by turning off the Wireless but would like to use my router to distribute IP addresses instead of ATT's RG for the sake of speed (802.11n/ac @ 1GbE) instead of 802.11b/g @ 100GbE.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

10 years ago

First I am using a Time Capsule same thing as an Airport Extreme but with a built in networking drive and I take full use of 802.11 a,b,g and n with the dual radios that simultaneously broadcast.

You will not gain any speed by making it your router but you will lose the function of seeing everything on your LAN if put behind the RG such as the DVR .

I run mine set up in bridge mode that allows me the wireless speed between my devices on my LAN.

To repeat setting up the AE as your router will not increase your speed through the WAN and g is very adequate for the size pipe that AT&T currently has.

802.11ac functions no matter how you set it up if you have the newest computers with that capability and its worth the price of admission througput is more than twice as much which make file transfers way nicer the larger the size.

So before we set this up in anything other than bridge mode what function is it that you need there are trade offs .

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.