Eyost's profile

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

Sunday, May 8th, 2011 12:54 AM

Using AirPort Extreme as main wireless point with Residential Gateway along with Airport Express?

Hi all,

I currently am using the RG as the main wireless point with an AirPort Extreme in bridge mode for wireless printing with the printer that is connected to the AirPort.

What I would like to do is flip it so that the AirPort would be my main wireless network point with the RG acting as the high-speed modem. I envision having the phone, high speed, and set top boxes connected to the RG with all of the computers and printers connected to the AirPort.

What would be the recommended way of connecting this. I have a limited experience in networking, so feel free to talk step-by-step. In addition, I have an AirPort Express that I would like to connect to a DirecTV set top box that I would like to be able to connect to the internet through the Extreme. 

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Ed

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

I had a working Netgear wireless access point on my home network before I had Uverse installed.  Since it offered "N" capability and was working flawlessly, I saw no need for the wireless capability in the RG, so I just disabled it.  I'm assuming that's all you need to do as well.  I.E. go into the wireless settings on the RG and set "Wireless Access Point" to "disabled".

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

13 years ago

As Folk indicated, just turn off the wireless in the RG and set the AE as an access point (turn off NAT/DHCP) and turn on the AE wireless.

I do this with mine except I put my AE in the DMZ and use its NAT/DHCP because I need to utilize Apple's Back to my Mac feature to access multiple Macs at home from wherever I might be. Since the RG does not support UPnP, I cannot use it alone. Plus, the RG does not support 'N' speeds which the AE does.

Dlck

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

@Eyost wrote:

Have you lost any capabilities by abandoning the RG as your wireless connection?

I already had a working wireless access point, so I just continued to use it and disabled the one built into the RG. Since I had never used the RG's wireless capabilities, there were no capabilities to lose.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

13 years ago

The simple way and the one I use is just to turn off the wireless radio in the RG and then turn it back on if you want to use it.

Go to http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 and set the Wireless Interface as either Enabled or Disabled.

Dlck

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

Folk,

Thanks for the information. Have you lost any capabilities by abandoning the RG as your wireless connection?

Ed

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the information. I assume that I would just need to plug the RG into the WAN port on the AirPort  Extreme? And for the AirPort Express, I would just join that to the AirPort Extreme network?

Ed

Mentor

• 

52 Messages

13 years ago

Your connections are correct for the RG, Airport Extreme and Airport Express.

Dlck

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

Excellent. On a related note, in the event that I disable the wireless piece from the RG and want to restore it, what is the recommended way to restore the settings to default?

Thanks,

Ed

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks so much! I'll work on the changes in the next bit.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

When you say "use the airport's NAT/DHCP" are you using the bridge function or distributing DHCP, or (I assume) using the single IP address with wireless clients using DHCP and NAT?  And if it's the single IP address with NAT/DHCP, what other configuration do you need for security?  Thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.