For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
RC54's profile

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 11:33 PM

Unable to connect to ip cameras from remote location

Since switching to Uverse I cannot get my three Trendnet IP cameras to connect remotely, as I could before with my previous neetwork setup. I've managed to set them up within the 2wire RG with the port forwarding and all, and can connect to them from the LAN, as well as the app that I have on my Android phone, but I cannot get them to connect from any remote computer.

I can connect to them from my local computer using the local IP (192.168.1.xx:xxxx), but when I type in the broadband address with the port number it will not connect. And I find that odd since this address is the same exact address that I have plugged into the app on my phone...where it works great.

I've tried everything I can think of including putting them in the DMZ, to no avail. They will not connect using the broadband address of 172.xx.xx.xx:xxxx.

I'm thinking that maybe I should connect my DLink router back in through the DMZ and reconnecting everything back to it as it was before, but I'm not even sure that would work.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks...

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

11 years ago

I'm still stuck with the fact that your Phone's browser works, but your external PC's browser does not.  That just doesn't make sense.

Any protential issue I can think of with your setup should affect your 3G/4G connected phone the same way it affects your external PC.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I know, it doesn't make sense, and I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm not entering the asddresses into my phones browser. I enter them into an IP Camera App that I downloaded from the Google App, or Play Store. Then the app does the rest. The app is IP Cam Viewer basic. In the settings there is a test function where once I enter in all of the information I do a test to see if it can access the cam.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

11 years ago

Okay, things I didn't ask from the beginning:

1) What, if any, error do you get from the web browser on your office PC when you try to connect to a camera?

2) Can you try opening a command box and typing:

TELNET  public-ip-address    port

And seeing if you get an error.  If so, what?  IF the error is that TELNET isn't a recognized command, you'll have to have windows install that feature.

3) Also, just for grins, in that same command box, see how far:

TRACERT   public-ip-address

gets you.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

11 years ago

I'm glad you found the problem.  The number of difficult networking problems solved in a similar manner would astound you.  Those that admit the actual problem are few.

Thanks for letting us know.  Don't be a stranger to the forums.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I've learned a lot about all kind of things just by reading through forums at what other people have already experienced. In fact, that's usually how I find the solutions to most of my problems. I've found that almost always somebody else has experienced the same or a similar problem which has been resolved, and from that I can gather the knowledge that I need to resolve my problem.

It really frustrates me when someone makes a post that they figured it out, but don't go on to explain what they figured out. So, I always try to explain the resolutions I find to my problems in hopes that it may help someone else. 😉

Thanks again...I'm sure I'll be around in here from time to time now that I am part of the uverse family.

RC

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

@RC54 wrote:

I've learned a lot about all kind of things just by reading through forums at what other people have already experienced. In fact, that's usually how I find the solutions to most of my problems. I've found that almost always somebody else has experienced the same or a similar problem which has been resolved, and from that I can gather the knowledge that I need to resolve my problem.

It really frustrates me when someone makes a post that they figured it out, but don't go on to explain what they figured out. So, I always try to explain the resolutions I find to my problems in hopes that it may help someone else. 😉

Thanks again...I'm sure I'll be around in here from time to time now that I am part of the uverse family.

RC

Welcome to the Community RC54! It sounds like you'll be a great addition to our little family and I look forward to seeing more posts from you. 🙂

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I had the same problem accessing my RG3600 remotely with a Foscam FI8921 until I added static IP with my provider. Spent way too much time researching forums and experimenting with settings before I decided to pay the extra $15/mo. I also use the built-in DDNS address on each camera (foscam.org) after having no luck getting no-ip or dyndns to work for me. I use IP Cam Viewer and LiveCam Pro apps on an Iphone and Ipad. Both work great.

Hopefully this will help someone get it done easier.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi what static ip-address you are taling about: LAN status IP address or WAN status IP address you are paying for.

Thanks,

Long

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

I contacted AT&T ConnecTech Service rep. yesterday. The tech named "Daryl Fernandez" said UVerse customers must subscribe to an additional service which costs $15/ month in order to be able to gain access to cameras from outside the house. Here is the chat transcript:

Daryl F : Welcome to AT&T ConnecTech Services, where we offer affordable solutions to your technology needs. My name is Daryl Fernandez, and I will be chatting with you to help you today. Please give me a moment while I review your previous chat.
Rodge : Okay
Rodge : It's supposed to be straight and simple to fix this , I don't know why UVerse is so backwards
Rodge : It was working perfectly when we had Comcast a month ago
Daryl F : As I understand you have contacted us because you need to access the Camera from outside your network. I can help you with that.
Rodge  : ok
Daryl F : We will have to configure the router and check the Static IP settings to fix this. You are now connected to the advanced technical department. Let's get this issue fixed now.
Rodge : The camera has a static IP with the port 8080
Daryl F : Let me have a check on the account details and verify the connectech services subscription and proceed with this.
Daryl F : I have reviewed your records and found that you do not have an active support plan with us. Unfortunately, this issue is not supported by our AT&T internet services department and is not included in the monthly cost of your internet service. Internet service only supports the signal to your home. However, not to worry, we have other possible options for you to have this issue fixed at a reasonable price.
Rodge : Okay what is it ?
Rodge : I m really starting to regret that I switched from Comcast
Rodge : It s just a simple thing and I need an Active Support Plan ??
Daryl F : That is very unfortunate. I can understand how you feel. But this is an issue with the third party device and as we are in a paid support we need a support plus subscription before we proceed. There are many benefits that you get if you subscribe to the service. I can explain you both the subscription plan and as well as the one time fee on the issue fix.
Rodge : I don't need to know about the plan
Rodge : Tell me if you can fix this
Daryl F : By subscribing for the Connectech service, you are going to avail comprehensive Support for up to (4) PCs, Software installation, home networking devices and more! What's more exciting is that, we will provide free McAfee for all 4 computers and also our specially designed utility called AT&T PC Maintenance Tool Box which will help you keep your computer optimal always. This also helps you reach us just by clicking on a chat button whenever you have an issue like a slow computer performance, virus infections, anti virus installation and configuration, email issues, printer configuration, Internet browsing and connectivity issues et cetera. You will be directly connected to an expert technician within seconds and not having to wait on the queue for someone to answer. You will have instant access whenever or where ever you need it through out the year. All this is for just $ $15 per month for 12 months.
Rodge : Tell me if you can fix this
Rodge : That's all
Daryl F : I can fix this for you, but I need to add a support plus service to the account before I proceed, Mr.Gork.
Rodge : I hope you won't mind if I put this conversation on the online Forum
Rodge  : No I dont want anything added to my current plan
Daryl F : The previous agent seems to have failed to mention, that our fee based advanced technical support has one-time and subscription options, and I apologize for this oversight. It is approximately 50 cent a day and is cost effective for our subscription plan.
Rodge : You know what, I just made a final decision
Rodge : I m going back to Comcast

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

In your IP Camera configuration, go to Network, then to UPNP Setting and Turn ON the UPNP Port Forwarding (UPNP To Map Port).  By turning this On, then you can use your WAN or access your IP Camera via the internet using the WAN address.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.