Unable to connect to ip cameras from remote location

Mentor

Unable to connect to ip cameras from remote location

Since switching to Uverse I cannot get my three Trendnet IP cameras to connect remotely, as I could before with my previous neetwork setup. I've managed to set them up within the 2wire RG with the port forwarding and all, and can connect to them from the LAN, as well as the app that I have on my Android phone, but I cannot get them to connect from any remote computer.

I can connect to them from my local computer using the local IP (192.168.1.xx:xxxx), but when I type in the broadband address with the port number it will not connect. And I find that odd since this address is the same exact address that I have plugged into the app on my phone...where it works great.

I've tried everything I can think of including putting them in the DMZ, to no avail. They will not connect using the broadband address of 172.xx.xx.xx:xxxx.

I'm thinking that maybe I should connect my DLink router back in through the DMZ and reconnecting everything back to it as it was before, but I'm not even sure that would work.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks...

Message 1 of 30 (19,924 Views)
Mentor

Re: Unable to connect to ip cameras from remote location

I have been to the Trendnet site, and followed their instructions. I have been to the portforward.com site and followed their instructions. I have accessed the web server pages for all of my cameras and set them up as instructed, and I still have the same problem. Do you think that I am just lieing to you or ignoring you here?

Jeez man, how many times do I have to say this to you. Have you even read any of my other posts?

As I said before, I have had these cameras setup and working properly for years, but since the Uverse install I cannot access them from any remote computer.

Is it that difficult for you to understand that I have done everything that you have suggested and they still don't work?

Message 16 of 30 (19,450 Views)
ACE - Expert

Since you can get this to work using your Android browser when not on WiFi in your LAN, perhaps the problem with external access lies not in YOUR network but in the remote computer's network?

Does your office block outbound traffic on non-well-known ports?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 30 (19,447 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Hey, JefferMC, thanks for taking an interest in my problem.

No, my office is very small and is only behind a common Linksys router,  WRT54G2. I was able to access the cameras from this remote location prior to Uverse, so I'm pretty sure it's not the remote site. At least, that's what my logic would dictate here, but maybe it's different when it comes to this networking stuff. I've only had the uverse a week so far, and all my cameras were working fine prior to the installation.

I'm not really a novice with this stuff. I'm not in IT or the computer industry, but I have educated myself enough to usually be able to figure out a resolution to most problems on my own, but this one has me baffled. But, I don't hesitate to admit that there is a whole lot more to networking than I know, so that's why I am asking for some help with this one.

Thanks again...

Message 18 of 30 (19,438 Views)
ACE - Expert

Okay, then, let's look at it this way.

Before you moved to U-verse, what URL did you use to access the cameras?

Did you have port-mapping set up then?  What is different about your setup now?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 30 (19,432 Views)
Mentor

Short answer:

Before uverse I had cable internet with my local cable company, so I had a public URL address with them. I don't remember that exact address right now. I remember it was something like 74.53.149.26, but don't quote me on that.

Right now my camera's IP's are all static at 192.168.0.240, .241 and .242. The ports are 1050, 1051 and 1052, respectively. The Dlink router Dir655 is forwarded to the DMZ in the 3801HGV, and all of my camera ports are forwarded in the DIR655 to their respective IP's. I can access them by using the private address but not the public address. Oh, and just for kicks I did try and set one of my cam's IP to DHCP, but it didn't change or help anything.

Long answer:

Prior to Uverse I had my Dlink wireless router (DIR655) connected to the wan of the cable modem and set to DHCP. From there all of my computers and devices connected to the DIR655. Most by DHCP, but I set all three cameras to static IP's in each camera webserver page. For instance, my driveway cam was set to 192.168.0.240, and I assigned it port 1050. The next cam was 192.168.0.241:1051, and the third was 192.168.0.242:1052. I then went into my router settings and port forwarded each of those ports to their respective cam address. So, I had port 1050 forwarded to 192.168.0.240, etc, etc.  I was able to plug each of those addresses into my web browser and view the video streams. By the way, all three cams are hard wired.

Then, to access the cameras from any remote computer all I had to do was type in the public address with the port number and I was viewing the stream. For instance, for my driveway cam I would use 74.53.149.26:1050. I was able to do that for each cam to view it's stream, and I also used that same address format for my phone app.

Then came Uverse. Since it was a modem and wireless router combined I removed my DIR655 and after the install tech had everything up and running I began to try and setup my cameras. At first I connected to each camera using my laptop and an ethernet cable to change their address to the same format as the uverse router. For instance, on the driveway cam I changed it to 192.168.1.77, and left all of the other settings the same. Then, I went into the 3801HGV webserver settings and proceeded to figure out how to do the port forwarding, and this is where I ran into problems. The port forwarding settings in this router is unlike any other router that I have configured, and I've done Dlink, Linksys and Belkin. But, I finally figured it out and was able to at least access the cameras by using the private address, but not the public address...not even on my phone.

Then later, while searching around the internet for a solution I cam across a forum where someone posted how they got theirs to work by connecting their Linksys router wan port to the 3801HGV lan port, and then setting the Linksys router to the DMZ of the 3801HGV, so I tried this with my DIR655. I then had to go back and change all of my cameras IP's to what they were before uverse so that they would connect with the DIR655, and that seemed to work, untill I tried it off site at work yesterday. But, I was able to access my cameras on my phone when I was at work.

And, that's pretty much where I am now.

Message 20 of 30 (19,406 Views)
ACE - Expert

I'm still stuck with the fact that your Phone's browser works, but your external PC's browser does not.  That just doesn't make sense.

Any protential issue I can think of with your setup should affect your 3G/4G connected phone the same way it affects your external PC.

Message 21 of 30 (19,402 Views)
Mentor

I know, it doesn't make sense, and I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm not entering the asddresses into my phones browser. I enter them into an IP Camera App that I downloaded from the Google App, or Play Store. Then the app does the rest. The app is IP Cam Viewer basic. In the settings there is a test function where once I enter in all of the information I do a test to see if it can access the cam.

Message 22 of 30 (19,391 Views)
ACE - Expert

Okay, things I didn't ask from the beginning:

1) What, if any, error do you get from the web browser on your office PC when you try to connect to a camera?

2) Can you try opening a command box and typing:

TELNET  public-ip-address    port

And seeing if you get an error.  If so, what?  IF the error is that TELNET isn't a recognized command, you'll have to have windows install that feature.

3) Also, just for grins, in that same command box, see how far:

TRACERT   public-ip-address

gets you.

Message 23 of 30 (19,369 Views)
Mentor
Solution
Accepted by JefferMC (ACE - Expert)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

JefferMC,

You are absolutely correct that it doesn't make sense that I can connect to these cameras with my phone and not my remote computer. The more I thought about the more it just didn't seem right and make any sense to me so I decided to go back over all of my settings...one more time.

On my remote computer (work computer) I had made shortcut links in my browser for each camera several years ago when I first installed these cameras. So, when ever any changes were made I would just go to the shortcuts and make the necessary adjustments to the properties to get them working again, which I had done after the uverse install.

While just rechecking all of my settings I noticed that I had dropped a 1 off the very beginning of my public URL address. I had made it 72, when it should have been 172, and I just never caught it as I guess my brain saw what it wanted to see, all of those other times I had checked it. It was a stupid error that I should have caught, and to make matters worse, when I changed all of the URL's I just copied and pasted the address for the other two shortcuts from the first one I changed. So they were all the same...wrong.

Now that I have made the correct adjustments to the addresses I am able to access my cameras from my work computer as before, so all is good now. Except that I feel really stupid, and bad for all of the grief and extra work that I have caused everyone trying to help me. On the bright side, I got to explore and learn all about the 3801HGV and all it's settings a lot sooner than I had expected.  Smiley Happy

My humblest apologies and many thanks for all your help with this issue.

RC

Message 24 of 30 (19,292 Views)
ACE - Expert

I'm glad you found the problem.  The number of difficult networking problems solved in a similar manner would astound you.  Those that admit the actual problem are few.

Thanks for letting us know.  Don't be a stranger to the forums.

Message 25 of 30 (19,277 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

I've learned a lot about all kind of things just by reading through forums at what other people have already experienced. In fact, that's usually how I find the solutions to most of my problems. I've found that almost always somebody else has experienced the same or a similar problem which has been resolved, and from that I can gather the knowledge that I need to resolve my problem.

It really frustrates me when someone makes a post that they figured it out, but don't go on to explain what they figured out. So, I always try to explain the resolutions I find to my problems in hopes that it may help someone else. ;-)

Thanks again...I'm sure I'll be around in here from time to time now that I am part of the uverse family.

RC

Message 26 of 30 (19,223 Views)
Former Community Manager

RC54 wrote:

I've learned a lot about all kind of things just by reading through forums at what other people have already experienced. In fact, that's usually how I find the solutions to most of my problems. I've found that almost always somebody else has experienced the same or a similar problem which has been resolved, and from that I can gather the knowledge that I need to resolve my problem.

It really frustrates me when someone makes a post that they figured it out, but don't go on to explain what they figured out. So, I always try to explain the resolutions I find to my problems in hopes that it may help someone else. ;-)

Thanks again...I'm sure I'll be around in here from time to time now that I am part of the uverse family.

RC

Welcome to the Community RC54! It sounds like you'll be a great addition to our little family and I look forward to seeing more posts from you. Smiley Happy

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 27 of 30 (19,146 Views)

I had the same problem accessing my RG3600 remotely with a Foscam FI8921 until I added static IP with my provider. Spent way too much time researching forums and experimenting with settings before I decided to pay the extra $15/mo. I also use the built-in DDNS address on each camera (foscam.org) after having no luck getting no-ip or dyndns to work for me. I use IP Cam Viewer and LiveCam Pro apps on an Iphone and Ipad. Both work great.

Hopefully this will help someone get it done easier.

Message 28 of 30 (18,692 Views)
Contributor

Hi what static ip-address you are taling about: LAN status IP address or WAN status IP address you are paying for.

Thanks,

Long

Message 29 of 30 (16,704 Views)

I contacted AT&T ConnecTech Service rep. yesterday. The tech named "Daryl Fernandez" said UVerse customers must subscribe to an additional service which costs $15/ month in order to be able to gain access to cameras from outside the house. Here is the chat transcript:

Daryl F : Welcome to AT&T ConnecTech Services, where we offer affordable solutions to your technology needs. My name is Daryl Fernandez, and I will be chatting with you to help you today. Please give me a moment while I review your previous chat.
Rodge : Okay
Rodge : It's supposed to be straight and simple to fix this , I don't know why UVerse is so backwards
Rodge : It was working perfectly when we had Comcast a month ago
Daryl F : As I understand you have contacted us because you need to access the Camera from outside your network. I can help you with that.
Rodge  : ok
Daryl F : We will have to configure the router and check the Static IP settings to fix this. You are now connected to the advanced technical department. Let's get this issue fixed now.
Rodge : The camera has a static IP with the port 8080
Daryl F : Let me have a check on the account details and verify the connectech services subscription and proceed with this.
Daryl F : I have reviewed your records and found that you do not have an active support plan with us. Unfortunately, this issue is not supported by our AT&T internet services department and is not included in the monthly cost of your internet service. Internet service only supports the signal to your home. However, not to worry, we have other possible options for you to have this issue fixed at a reasonable price.
Rodge : Okay what is it ?
Rodge : I m really starting to regret that I switched from Comcast
Rodge : It s just a simple thing and I need an Active Support Plan ??
Daryl F : That is very unfortunate. I can understand how you feel. But this is an issue with the third party device and as we are in a paid support we need a support plus subscription before we proceed. There are many benefits that you get if you subscribe to the service. I can explain you both the subscription plan and as well as the one time fee on the issue fix.
Rodge : I don't need to know about the plan
Rodge : Tell me if you can fix this
Daryl F : By subscribing for the Connectech service, you are going to avail comprehensive Support for up to (4) PCs, Software installation, home networking devices and more! What's more exciting is that, we will provide free McAfee for all 4 computers and also our specially designed utility called AT&T PC Maintenance Tool Box which will help you keep your computer optimal always. This also helps you reach us just by clicking on a chat button whenever you have an issue like a slow computer performance, virus infections, anti virus installation and configuration, email issues, printer configuration, Internet browsing and connectivity issues et cetera. You will be directly connected to an expert technician within seconds and not having to wait on the queue for someone to answer. You will have instant access whenever or where ever you need it through out the year. All this is for just $ $15 per month for 12 months.
Rodge : Tell me if you can fix this
Rodge : That's all
Daryl F : I can fix this for you, but I need to add a support plus service to the account before I proceed, Mr.Gork.
Rodge : I hope you won't mind if I put this conversation on the online Forum
Rodge  : No I dont want anything added to my current plan
Daryl F : The previous agent seems to have failed to mention, that our fee based advanced technical support has one-time and subscription options, and I apologize for this oversight. It is approximately 50 cent a day and is cost effective for our subscription plan.
Rodge : You know what, I just made a final decision
Rodge : I m going back to Comcast
Message 30 of 30 (864 Views)