For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
RC54's profile

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 11:33 PM

Unable to connect to ip cameras from remote location

Since switching to Uverse I cannot get my three Trendnet IP cameras to connect remotely, as I could before with my previous neetwork setup. I've managed to set them up within the 2wire RG with the port forwarding and all, and can connect to them from the LAN, as well as the app that I have on my Android phone, but I cannot get them to connect from any remote computer.

I can connect to them from my local computer using the local IP (192.168.1.xx:xxxx), but when I type in the broadband address with the port number it will not connect. And I find that odd since this address is the same exact address that I have plugged into the app on my phone...where it works great.

I've tried everything I can think of including putting them in the DMZ, to no avail. They will not connect using the broadband address of 172.xx.xx.xx:xxxx.

I'm thinking that maybe I should connect my DLink router back in through the DMZ and reconnecting everything back to it as it was before, but I'm not even sure that would work.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, ithe cams worked fine with DSL using dyndns.org for the DDNS service, which is configured on the cams.  But no luck with the UVerse service until the static IP range was created.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

gregzoll,

Please don't take this the wrong way. I am very happy and pleased that you are trying to help me, but I have posted on a number of times that I DO know how to access the cameras web server pages, and I have ALREADY accessed them to set them up.

If you go back and read through my posts you will see that. For some reason you keep missing that and keep telling me how to go into the camera web server pages and to set them up according to Trendnet's instructions. I have had these cameras for many years and have done that many, many times in the past. I even posted a screenshot of one of them.

Maybe gregzoll is just a bot and the replies are just canned responses to key words that people post. Smiley Frustrated

Guess I'm on my own with this one.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Ureka!! I got it to work finally! At least, I think. I won't know for sure until I go off site to a remote computer and try it from there, but it has all appearances that it is working now.

What I ended up doing is I bridged my DLink router back into the network. I really didn't want to do that but it was the only thing that I could think of to do at this point. It was actually pretty easy. All I had to do was to go back into each camera and reset them back to the static IP's as they were before Uverse. And since my router was already setup for them, once I connected the cameras back to the DLink router, and the Dlink router to the RG through the DMZ, they were all working again as before. This should work fine until a power outage, or I power cycle the RG for anything and it gets a different public IP address, as I am not on a static IP address

These are the instructions that I found from another site regarding bridging the routers with Uverse:

There are a couple ways of doing it. First, disable NAT and disable DHCP. The second is to bridge the router. The third, is to buy an actual switch.

To "Bridge" the router:

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP. This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.
2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.
3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.
4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface. Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ
5. Select your router under section (1).
6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).
7. Click the Save button.
8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address. At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.
9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration
10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.
11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.
12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.
13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).
14. Click Save.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Well, no luck with this. It worked on my local computer when I enter the public address, but when I got to work and tried it it wouldn't connect. But, it did work from my phone, which is really perplexing, as it is the same address that I have to enter. So, back to the drawing board. I think I'm going to try another forum since there's not much help here.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

@RC54 wrote:
Well, no luck with this. It worked on my local computer when I enter the public address, but when I got to work and tried it it wouldn't connect. But, it did work from my phone, which is really perplexing, as it is the same address that I have to enter. So, back to the drawing board. I think I'm going to try another forum since there's not much help here.

Guess the fact, that I pointed you to the Trendnet documentation was not enough, same with following the info at portforward.com.  There really is not much more anyone else is going to say or do, but repeat what I explained repeatedly to you in how to make this work.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I have been to the Trendnet site, and followed their instructions. I have been to the portforward.com site and followed their instructions. I have accessed the web server pages for all of my cameras and set them up as instructed, and I still have the same problem. Do you think that I am just lieing to you or ignoring you here?

Jeez man, how many times do I have to say this to you. Have you even read any of my other posts?

As I said before, I have had these cameras setup and working properly for years, but since the Uverse install I cannot access them from any remote computer.

Is it that difficult for you to understand that I have done everything that you have suggested and they still don't work?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

11 years ago

Since you can get this to work using your Android browser when not on WiFi in your LAN, perhaps the problem with external access lies not in YOUR network but in the remote computer's network?

Does your office block outbound traffic on non-well-known ports?

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Hey, JefferMC, thanks for taking an interest in my problem.

No, my office is very small and is only behind a common Linksys router,  WRT54G2. I was able to access the cameras from this remote location prior to Uverse, so I'm pretty sure it's not the remote site. At least, that's what my logic would dictate here, but maybe it's different when it comes to this networking stuff. I've only had the uverse a week so far, and all my cameras were working fine prior to the installation.

I'm not really a novice with this stuff. I'm not in IT or the computer industry, but I have educated myself enough to usually be able to figure out a resolution to most problems on my own, but this one has me baffled. But, I don't hesitate to admit that there is a whole lot more to networking than I know, so that's why I am asking for some help with this one.

Thanks again...

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

11 years ago

Okay, then, let's look at it this way.

Before you moved to U-verse, what URL did you use to access the cameras?

Did you have port-mapping set up then?  What is different about your setup now?

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Short answer:

Before uverse I had cable internet with my local cable company, so I had a public URL address with them. I don't remember that exact address right now. I remember it was something like 74.53.149.26, but don't quote me on that.

Right now my camera's IP's are all static at 192.168.0.240, .241 and .242. The ports are 1050, 1051 and 1052, respectively. The Dlink router Dir655 is forwarded to the DMZ in the 3801HGV, and all of my camera ports are forwarded in the DIR655 to their respective IP's. I can access them by using the private address but not the public address. Oh, and just for kicks I did try and set one of my cam's IP to DHCP, but it didn't change or help anything.

Long answer:

Prior to Uverse I had my Dlink wireless router (DIR655) connected to the wan of the cable modem and set to DHCP. From there all of my computers and devices connected to the DIR655. Most by DHCP, but I set all three cameras to static IP's in each camera webserver page. For instance, my driveway cam was set to 192.168.0.240, and I assigned it port 1050. The next cam was 192.168.0.241:1051, and the third was 192.168.0.242:1052. I then went into my router settings and port forwarded each of those ports to their respective cam address. So, I had port 1050 forwarded to 192.168.0.240, etc, etc.  I was able to plug each of those addresses into my web browser and view the video streams. By the way, all three cams are hard wired.

Then, to access the cameras from any remote computer all I had to do was type in the public address with the port number and I was viewing the stream. For instance, for my driveway cam I would use 74.53.149.26:1050. I was able to do that for each cam to view it's stream, and I also used that same address format for my phone app.

Then came Uverse. Since it was a modem and wireless router combined I removed my DIR655 and after the install tech had everything up and running I began to try and setup my cameras. At first I connected to each camera using my laptop and an ethernet cable to change their address to the same format as the uverse router. For instance, on the driveway cam I changed it to 192.168.1.77, and left all of the other settings the same. Then, I went into the 3801HGV webserver settings and proceeded to figure out how to do the port forwarding, and this is where I ran into problems. The port forwarding settings in this router is unlike any other router that I have configured, and I've done Dlink, Linksys and Belkin. But, I finally figured it out and was able to at least access the cameras by using the private address, but not the public address...not even on my phone.

Then later, while searching around the internet for a solution I cam across a forum where someone posted how they got theirs to work by connecting their Linksys router wan port to the 3801HGV lan port, and then setting the Linksys router to the DMZ of the 3801HGV, so I tried this with my DIR655. I then had to go back and change all of my cameras IP's to what they were before uverse so that they would connect with the DIR655, and that seemed to work, untill I tried it off site at work yesterday. But, I was able to access my cameras on my phone when I was at work.

And, that's pretty much where I am now.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.