RC54's profile

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

Saturday, February 2nd, 2013 11:33 PM

Unable to connect to ip cameras from remote location

Since switching to Uverse I cannot get my three Trendnet IP cameras to connect remotely, as I could before with my previous neetwork setup. I've managed to set them up within the 2wire RG with the port forwarding and all, and can connect to them from the LAN, as well as the app that I have on my Android phone, but I cannot get them to connect from any remote computer.

I can connect to them from my local computer using the local IP (192.168.1.xx:xxxx), but when I type in the broadband address with the port number it will not connect. And I find that odd since this address is the same exact address that I have plugged into the app on my phone...where it works great.

I've tried everything I can think of including putting them in the DMZ, to no avail. They will not connect using the broadband address of 172.xx.xx.xx:xxxx.

I'm thinking that maybe I should connect my DLink router back in through the DMZ and reconnecting everything back to it as it was before, but I'm not even sure that would work.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

JefferMC,

You are absolutely correct that it doesn't make sense that I can connect to these cameras with my phone and not my remote computer. The more I thought about the more it just didn't seem right and make any sense to me so I decided to go back over all of my settings...one more time.

On my remote computer (work computer) I had made shortcut links in my browser for each camera several years ago when I first installed these cameras. So, when ever any changes were made I would just go to the shortcuts and make the necessary adjustments to the properties to get them working again, which I had done after the uverse install.

While just rechecking all of my settings I noticed that I had dropped a 1 off the very beginning of my public URL address. I had made it 72, when it should have been 172, and I just never caught it as I guess my brain saw what it wanted to see, all of those other times I had checked it. It was a stupid error that I should have caught, and to make matters worse, when I changed all of the URL's I just copied and pasted the address for the other two shortcuts from the first one I changed. So they were all the same...wrong.

Now that I have made the correct adjustments to the addresses I am able to access my cameras from my work computer as before, so all is good now. Except that I feel really stupid, and bad for all of the grief and extra work that I have caused everyone trying to help me. On the bright side, I got to explore and learn all about the 3801HGV and all it's settings a lot sooner than I had expected.  🙂

My humblest apologies and many thanks for all your help with this issue.

RC

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Follow the info at http://www.portforward.net in setting up the Pinhole in the Firewall on your RG. As for connecting to them from a remote location, you use your Public IP of the RG, and the application on your smartphone if you have a Android or iPhone. Otherwise, you use a web browser, enter your public IP and the port (ie 123.456.78.90:8181) to get to the camera web server, so you can enter the username & password.

All of this info that I just stated would be in the documentation that came with the cameras. If you do not have that info, you can go to http://www.trendnet.com and download the info.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the reply Greg, but as I stated in my original post, I have already done the steps that you have suggested, and they still do not work from a remote computer.

Just so there's no confusion, when at the remote computer I entered the public address, followed by a colon and then the port number. For example, 123.456.78.90:8181, where 8181 represents the port that I assigned to each camera in the port forwarding section of the router.

This setup works great on my Android phone (wifi turned off) but for some strange reason it doesn't work from a remote computer, or even my own computer that is connected to the network.. The browser just times out.

I know how to do this. I had them setup for years on my other network but they're not working the same with this uverse router, for some reason.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Double check the info in the Firewall tab, per the info at portforward.com.  Just realized that when I put down the website for Portforward, I put in .net, not .com as it should be.  Look for the Trendnet camera in this list http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/2wire/3800HGV-B/default.htm#T  If it is not listed, choose one of the Trendnet cameras, and the info is still the same.  You just need to know what the ports are for the camera.  Keep in mind, that you also have to do some setup on the camera webserver side also, to allow external access, if not using the app on your phone, and want to access the camera through a web browser.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, but I've already done all that. I've given each camera a static IP and assigned each a different port in their web server page, and I've forwarded those ports in the router page to the camera IP address. That all seems to work through my phone but will not work from any computer.

OK, here's an example. In my phone camera app settings page(I'm using the IP Cam Viewer Basic app) I entered 123.456.78.90:8181...bam, I have the camera image and can manipulate the pan and tilt with no problem. But, if I enter that same address, 123.456.78.90:8181 into my computer's web browser I get nothing.

Because I am getting the video stream on my phone that tells me that I have the ports open and working correctly. What I can't figure out is why not from a computer web browser?

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You do not need to assign a static IP, since the 3800 assigns a Sticky DHCP. That could be why you are having problems. As for the cameras, you need to go to each of their IP's, and enter the "webserver" that is on that camera, and make changes in there as stated in the Trendnet documentation, which you can find at trendnet.com

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

I thought about the DHCP thing so I went ahead and set one of the cameras to DHCP and I let the router assign the IP. No change. Still cannot connect using the public address. Works fine with the LAN address.

As far as going to each cameras webserver, how do you think that I assigned them their static IP's?

So, let me reiterate something here. With my previous setup I had local cable modem broadband internet with a DLink DIR655 router. I assigneed each camera a static address and then forwarded their ports in the DIR655 router webserver, and they all worked great. I could access my cameras from any computer that had internet by using the public address. I have done essentially the same thing with the RG3801hgv, but I cannot access my cameras using the public address that I get from the 3801hgv. For some reason the firewall in the 3801hgv is still blocking them. I have even set them to DMZ in the router and they don't work.

Here's a screenshot of one of my cam's network setup page. As you can see from it it is set to DHCP.

Driveway Cam

And here's a screenshot of the 3801hgv firewall status page showing the cams with their ports forwarded.

3801HGV

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I had same problem with my Foscams after switching from DSL to UVerse.  I could access on my LAN, but not remotely, nor would emails of motion alerts go out. I tried everything and finally called tech support.  After 2 hours trying to get my cameras to work through a 2wire 3600 RG,  the tech added static IP to my account and solved the problem.  I did not want to add the extra cost of static IP, but the problem wore me out.  Working fine now.  Apparently the UVerse IP assignments work differently than with DSL.  I don't like spending the extra money for static IP and am hoping there is a way to connect remotely without.  Interested to hear what you figure out.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

The webserver page, is on the camera itself. You have to access the camera from your LAN, just as if you were setting up a Access Point from Trendnet on your LAN.

IE, say your camera IP is 192.168.1.86, you would enter that in your address bar, then get the request for the username, which is usually "admin", then the password that you set, when you used the setup software, either that you downloaded from Trendnet.com or when you inserted the CD that came with the camera.

Again, all of the info is at trendnet.com for what you need to do, to make the cameras behave, so you can access them off of your LAN. Just because you have DHCP checked, you have not finished the setup.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

SMU84, you do not need a Static IP for these cameras, you just need to follow the info that comes with them. One of them is that you need to use the DDNS settings, if you get a new IP, but another is by following the info that comes with them.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.