Explore & discover

Helpful Links

UVerse Installation - New House, New Subdivision Phase

Contributor

UVerse Installation - New House, New Subdivision Phase

I am building a new house in a newly opened phase of a subdivision (zip code 39047).  The new phase has all-new infrastructure and I believe AT&T has installed underground fiber optic cable throughout the phase.

I'm running structured wiring throughout the house.  My question is what to provide from the outside of the house to my wiring closet.  When I talked with a UVerse tech. in July, he suggested 2 @ Cat 5/6.  However, I've seen discussion elsewhere that suggests AT&T may bring FO inside to a new indoor RG.  That leads me to think installing duct or conduit from the exterior to the wiring closet may be the better way to go (giving the greatest flexibility for installation options).

House exterior to wiring closet distance is about 25 feet (straight line), so about 30-ish feet by the time things are routed in the walls.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to the direction I should go.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by gbrown424
‎01-07-2016 8:38 PM

Re: UVerse Installation - New House, New Subdivision Phase

Why not do both, a duct with pre run cat5 with two pull strings for additional wiring.

To my limited knowledge, for our area, the only time have seen indoor ONT is in newer MDU where the fiber was pre installed during construction phase to wiring closet. All other times it is outside next to power meter, with a indoor power supply similar to older iNID installations.

These will vary by market, local practice, and who is doing the work.

To save time, the process seems to be moving towards pre made fiber runs plug in, instead of fiber spliced. This is similar to buying and install a pre-made 50' Ethernet cable instead of running cat5 and placing either RJ45 plug or wall plate.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had actually thought of doing both after I posted initially, but wanted a "more informed" opinion before heading down that path.

My next question is what size duct would I need to accommodate a potential fiber patch to an indoor ONT?  3/4"? 1"?  Larger?  I'd hate to go through the trouble of running duct only to have it be too small.

In my "know enough to be dangerous mind", I'm wanting to place the ONT in my wiring closet to keep from having to put a separate ONT power supply in our garage and drill a hole through the exterior wall after construction. I understand options vary by market, which is why I'd really like to talk with one of the techs that work in my area in greater detail about this.

It's easy to prepare for this stuff now, while the walls are open and the brick is off.  Hopefully, by going through the effort now, I can save the tech some time when he comes out for the install and have a slick end-product to boot.  This way, everybody wins.

Thanks again for your response.

Greg

Message 3 of 4
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by gbrown424
‎01-08-2016 8:17 AM

Your in Mississippi, part of the old BellSouth area covered by CWA district 3.

Translation, expect two service call appointments. The first will be the outside core tech who works on fiber (old telephone line repair) to install/power the ONT. The second will be the Uverse Wire Tech (WT) to install the gateway, and any other equipment ordered. 

The WT will be responsible from ONT Ethernet port.

Depending on schedule may have both appointments the same day, but at different times.

Example Core may be 9-11 while WT would be 1-3.... This is to prevent wasting WT time while waiting for Core to complete. Often the appointments are a few days apart, this allows any problems with ONT to be resolved before scheduling the WT.

For duct, do not know, but hard to believe the premade fiber end would be larger than an RJ45 jack. This may be a good question to ask at ...http://www.dslreports.com/forum/uverse.

There are several posts about fiber installs, mainly on the Gigamarket but the ONT should be same, GPON.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support