paulezelle's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, July 29th, 2014 5:59 PM

UPNP on Uverse???

I purchased the Samsung 12 camera video surveillance equipment so I can remotely view my home. The cameras are awesome, but my Uverse router obviously does not have Universal Plug and Play (UPNP) capability. So, I cannot view my home cameras remotely. Is there a way to make this work? OBTW, I’m not too savvy with the tech terms.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

10 years ago

@paulezelle wrote:

I purchased the Samsung 12 camera video surveillance equipment so I can remotely view my home. The cameras are awesome, but my Uverse router obviously does not have Universal Plug and Play (UPNP) capability. So, I cannot view my home cameras remotely. Is there a way to make this work? OBTW, I’m not too savvy with the tech terms.

The only way to have upnp to work on U-Verse is to purchase and deploy a second router behind the U-Verse gateway. The U-Verse gateway does not have upnp enabled in it for security reasons. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Also, the phone tech told me I needed a wireless receiver and then UPNP would work. He sent me a new U-verse wireless receiver and I hooked it up and not to anyone's surprise, it didn't work. I guess he "thought" it would work. Of course I now pay $8 more/month for another receiver.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Hello, I have a Plex server that I was previously able to run through a wireless router and a cable modem using UPNP. I have the same router behind the AT&T Uverse router now. It appears that the UPNP settings on my old wireless router are correct. Is there anything I need to set up on my Uverse router like port forwarding? The plex server doesn't seem to be visible outside my firewall. -Eric

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

How do I set up another router behind the gateway? I am having this exact issue with the same security system and 2wire router. I have an old Motorola Broadband router. Will this work? If so, how do I set it all up?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

It's ridiculous that U-verse does not support uPnP (and/or other port mapping protocols) in their routers. It cripples utility between local lan members, prevents a programmatic facility to safely map ports for multiparty game and messaging apps, limits access to essential servers like STUN and TURN, and excludes almost everything except silly browser-based web sites, all in the name of a security bogey man that doesn't really exist.  It stems from the client-server paradigm that has blocked out their minds from anything that requires point-to-point communication between

individual parties and thereby increases security rather than compromising it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.