UPNP on Uverse???

Contributor

UPNP on Uverse???

I purchased the Samsung 12 camera video surveillance equipment so I can remotely view my home. The cameras are awesome, but my Uverse router obviously does not have Universal Plug and Play (UPNP) capability. So, I cannot view my home cameras remotely. Is there a way to make this work? OBTW, I’m not too savvy with the tech terms.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 6
Contributor

Re: UPNP on Uverse???

Also, the phone tech told me I needed a wireless receiver and then UPNP would work. He sent me a new U-verse wireless receiver and I hooked it up and not to anyone's surprise, it didn't work. I guess he "thought" it would work. Of course I now pay $8 more/month for another receiver.

Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

paulezelle wrote:

I purchased the Samsung 12 camera video surveillance equipment so I can remotely view my home. The cameras are awesome, but my Uverse router obviously does not have Universal Plug and Play (UPNP) capability. So, I cannot view my home cameras remotely. Is there a way to make this work? OBTW, I’m not too savvy with the tech terms.

The only way to have upnp to work on U-Verse is to purchase and deploy a second router behind the U-Verse gateway. The U-Verse gateway does not have upnp enabled in it for security reasons. 

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 6
Contributor

Hello, I have a Plex server that I was previously able to run through a wireless router and a cable modem using UPNP. I have the same router behind the AT&T Uverse router now. It appears that the UPNP settings on my old wireless router are correct. Is there anything I need to set up on my Uverse router like port forwarding? The plex server doesn't seem to be visible outside my firewall. -Eric

Message 4 of 6

How do I set up another router behind the gateway? I am having this exact issue with the same security system and 2wire router. I have an old Motorola Broadband router. Will this work? If so, how do I set it all up?
Message 5 of 6
Contributor

It's ridiculous that U-verse does not support uPnP (and/or other port mapping protocols) in their routers. It cripples utility between local lan members, prevents a programmatic facility to safely map ports for multiparty game and messaging apps, limits access to essential servers like STUN and TURN, and excludes almost everything except silly browser-based web sites, all in the name of a security bogey man that doesn't really exist.  It stems from the client-server paradigm that has blocked out their minds from anything that requires point-to-point communication between

individual parties and thereby increases security rather than compromising it.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support