rjb_1's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Monday, May 9th, 2011 4:45 PM

UDP Traffic flooding with Airport Express behind switch

Hi there - I'm hoping someone can help me solve an issue with my AT&T Uverse internet setup.  

First a little background; Our AT&T service comes into our guest house/office to the AT&T router/gateway, and is then fed via a hard line from the RG into our house to an AT&T supplied Netgear GS108 switch which then feeds a number of STBs.  We then have an Apple Airport Express connected to this switch which feeds the house computers wirelessly.

When I first set this up, I set up the AEX incorrectly in a double NAT configuration - I would much prefer to have it in bridge mode to allow smoother access between all parts of my network, but when I put the AEX into bridge mode (the 'correct' setting), the computers on the AEX wireless become completely flooded by UDP traffic if any of the STBs are on and especially if they're recording.

Apparently the RG can't implement IGMP through the Netgear switch?  How can I get the AEX into bridge mode but get the RG to implement IGMP through the Netgear switch?

Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks in advance.

Rich

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

OK, if your only goal is to keep multicast IPTV traffic away from the AirPort, then yes, an IGMPv3-snooping switch in place of your current unmanaged central switch would indeed do that.

But you will still get mixed computer and IPTV multicast traffic on the downstream switches. You say this has not resulted in degraded performance, and if that's true then it's no big deal.

If you do this and you get it to work, please post back what brand and model switch you're using in place of the central switch and any configuration settings, if applicable. To my knowledge, no one has successfully implemented ANY 3rd-party IGMPv3-snooping switch into a U-Verse system and had it work properly.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

Eric -
Yeah, agreed.  Unfortunately, I don't have that option with the layout right now.  I have single drops in the areas and some of those areas have multiple devices.  I had thought about just taking them wireless, but there are still a few devices that would need a wired network connection. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

SomeJoe - 

It mostly is just to keep stability.  Outside of the issue with the wireless access points, I haven't had any of the other networking gear cease up.  I've considered the VLAN approach too.  Preferably, I'd like this to be something that anyone could upkeep, not just someone who has an understanding of network topologies and setup! 😉

I'll give both a bit more thought.  I appreciate the insight!  I'll post in what I eventually try. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

I'm also reconsidering just running the two STBs directly to the Uverse router, despite each being on their own gigabit switches at the end points.  In reality, the more I think about it, the only device on those switches that truly benefits from gigabit speeds is the Mac mini.  The game consoles aren't used for streaming content within the network.  I could just run that Mac over 802.11n.  With two access points, I should have a very strong signal throughout.  It won't be gigabit speeds, but it'll be faster than being wired to the Uverse router and should still be plenty fast enough for most everything it's used for.

On that note, playing around with networking always has its charms! Smiley Wink

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

13 years ago

I got to ask because there is a big difference in range you said Airport Express (about the size of a pack of cigs) which has a limited range (i use one in my media room) and Airport Extreme (about 8 x 8 x 1.25 ) which has a very good range or at least the new dual bands do it reaches both front and backyard at my home.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

Sure.  I have an Airport Extreme.  I must have mistyped.  I also have some Cisco wireless gear.  I would think I should be able to blanket multiple levels between them pretty well.  

I have the dual band, as well.  I've been happy with it!   Smiley Happy

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I hate to necro an old thread, but holy crap, thank you for this!

I was able to mimic this setup using 2 DIR-825 routers running openwrt, on which I spent less than $100.  Even managed to incorporate having the RG-connected router run in DMZ+ mode off of the RG by connecting the WAN port on the router to the RG instead of one of the switch port.

As it turns out, setting that PVID parameter for each port turned out to be the key I was missing.  I even managed to bundle in WiFi and a separate guest WiFi network, all over a single trunk line with the TV signal, all appropriately isolated from each other.

So yes, this is possible, even with cheap routers, when you can use 3rd party firmware like OpenWrt.

Thank you again!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Great, glad this helped out!

Scholar

• 

464 Messages

10 years ago

Joe, sorry for replying to an old post, but I'm diving into the world of VLANs myself. I actually have two separate networks in my house, one for U-verse TV, and one for Time Warner Cable Internet. I am going to combine these over physical cables using VLANs, and also use VLANs to isolate my home lab servers from my casual home Internet access users.

I wanted to point you all to a blog post I made, which tries to explain how VLANs really work, and get your take on it. It's a work in progress so comments are welcome. As I build out my network I will add actual examples.

Here's the blog post:  http://fortmorganconsulting.com/index.php/how-vlans-really-work/

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I cannot get UVERSE video to work through managed switches !!

My 589-gateway is connected to a Netgear GS716T managed switch. This is a 16-port, business grade switch.  The switch then connects through a structured wiring patch panel to the house CAT6 wires and wall plates.  UVERSE set-boxes are then connected to the wall plates.

In two locations,  the wall plate connects to a Netgear GS108T managed switch.  That is an 8-port, business grade switch.  One such site is my home-office where printers, storage, and desktop workstations connect to the LAN.  In addition, there is a UVERSE set-box for home-office TV viewing.

My UVERSE DVR is connected directly to the gateway and works fine.  The UVERSE Access Point also connects directly and works fine as do the remote wireless set-boxes.

I cannot get wired set-boxes to operate through the house network.  All of the data operations work well -- until there is a UVERSE packet storm.  I have the business grade switches so that I can configure around that as proposed elsewhere in this posting.

Why can't I get any wire set-box traffic to connect through these managed switches?

Thanks in advance,

~~~ 0;-Dan

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.