U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

Teacher

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

[ Edited ]

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Message 1 of 636 (564,428 Views)
Expert

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

Which power line adapters did you get? If you picked up some of the 85Mbps ones, they are known to work only marginally well.

The 200Mbps ones are based on a completely different chipset, and will work much better (not just throughput-wise, but they handle broadcast and multicast packets much better).

You might want to return the ones you have and try the 200Mbps ones from a reputable company.

If that doesn't work, you might only have to spend a little bit more money to get VLAN-capable switches. Post back if you want to try that and I'll point you to some examples.
Message 256 of 636 (6,735 Views)
Mentor

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3801

My apologies. Don't mean to hijack the thread but I hope by asking these questions I can get an answer to summarize what is probably detailed in many prior posts. I have moderate router and networking knowledge and have found more than one answer to this question. Having just switched to Uverse from Comcast, I am in a similar position of having a router (linksys e4200) already configured: port forwarding to a server, plex media center streaming to offsite computers, dlink ip cameras to watch the kids. I also have a domain name from tzo which is updated by the ddns function of the router (presumably for when Comcast changes my ip address). I would like to keep the router as configured and only change the RG settings. The confusion comes from reading the various suggestions of how to do this and not understanding (despite all the reading) various terminologies which may or may not be being used interchangeably. 1. What's the difference between bridge mode, pass thru mode, rg as modem or putting the router in the RG's dmz? 2. One suggestion has been to check the "router behind router" box and let the rg do the work. Seems too simple. No? 3. Suggestions in post 2 of this thread. 4. Last comes from 2wire guide which suggests this is bridge mode: Bridge mode is used to configure devices on the LAN with a broadband IP . When the gateway is into bridge mode you can use a supplementary network or a third party router to handle the traffic. The gateway will only function as a direct connection to the phone line. Note By default, the gateway is configured in the routing mode. When routing is disabled, the NAT and the DHCP server are also disabled. Confirm with the ISP that the WAN protocol is compatible with bridging mode. 1. Navigate to Settings > Broadband > Link Configuration. Configure the following section of the Link Configuration page to enable the bridge mode and add supplementary networks: 2. Select the Use Broadband IPs on LAN check box. This enables bridge mode on the gateway. 3. Enter the subnet mask address in the Specify usable subnet mask text box. You must specify this address on the LAN devices or supplementary network devices while configuring the subnet mask. The recommended subnet mask address is 255.255.255.0. 4. Select the Auto Firewall Open check box. This disables the firewall of the gateway. Make sure that you select this option because the firewall must be disabled for the bridge mode to function. 5. Select the Use the built-in system MAC address radio button from the System MAC Address section to use the configured MAC address. OR Select the Override the built-in MAC address radio button from the System MAC Address section, and mention a MAC address of your choice in the Specify MAC address text box. 6. Leave the Upstream MTU value as is. This is the maximum size allowed on packets that are communicated between your network and your ISP . 7. Select the Add Additional Network check box to tail a router from the Local Ethernet port located at the back panel of the gateway. This adds a secondary network to the broadband WAN interface. 8. Enter the gateway address of the supplementary network device in the Router Address text box. This is the gateway address of the secondary subnet. 9. Enter the Subnet Mask address in the text box. This is the router mask of the secondary subnet. 10. Select the Auto Firewall Open check box to disable the firewall for all devices using addresses from this subnet. 11. Clear the Routing check box to ensure that the gateway does not assign IP addresses to LAN devices through DHCP . 12. Click Save. The bridge mode is enabled on the gateway, and LAN devices are configured to take the Broadband IP address. The service LED on the front panel of the device remains off when the gateway is in bridge mode. The supplementary network represented by the router is tailed to the gateway. Again, my apologies if this is elsewhere, despite my searching I've been unable to locate satisfactory answers. Thanks.
Message 257 of 636 (6,727 Views)
Expert

Ignore the 2Wire's manual. That applies to the stock 2Wire firmware, which is not provided. AT&T's firmware is different and does not have the options that are detailed in the 2Wire's manual.

All other terms you cited are equivalent. The functionality of any AT&T gateway can be configured to allow your own router to function with the outside IP address. On the 2Wire gateways, it's called "DMZPlus". On the Motorola NVG510 gateway, it's called "passthrough".

Follow the steps in post 2 of this thread to configure this setup for 2Wire gateways. There is another thread somewhere on the forum (do a search) where someone has posted the equivalent steps for the NVG510 gateway.
Message 258 of 636 (6,710 Views)
Tutor

I put the powerline adapters back in play. They are the 200mbps jobbers. The throughput isn't great (on the best outlet combo I've found I get 3.75MB/sec) but seems to be good enough for HD playback. It also seems like sometimes I need to unplug them and plug them back in which is fairly annoying but maybe its just the price I have to pay and they will 'settle down' once I ahve everything going.

This weekend I plan to revert my setup back to RG -> DD-WRT -> pfsense. Think I may have overreacted when I swapped everything back last Sunday night after streaming was crawling. 

That being said, I will need to replace one of the switches so I am going to look for a 16port one that supports VLans

Message 259 of 636 (6,704 Views)
Expert

Try the Dell PowerConnect 2816:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bccwfk1&model_id=powerconnect-2816&c=us&l=en&s...

Also check out the Netgear GS108T (only 8 port, but a bargain):

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-GS108T-NAS-Prosafe-8-Port-Gigabit/dp/B003KP8VSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electroni...

You can also look at the Netgear GS716T-200 (16 port, less expensive than the Dell switch), but I have not used this switch so I don't know if there are any firmware bugs in it:

http://www.amazon.com/GS716T-200-ProSafe%C2%AE-16-port-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B00358PJ28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

Do NOT under any circumstances try to use the Netgear GS1xxE switches -- they have several firmware bugs that prevent VLANs from working correctly.
Message 260 of 636 (6,691 Views)
Mentor

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Followed post #2; since the LInksys e4200 router was preprogrammed with IP address of 192.168.1.1, I had to change the RG IP address.  Once I got them of the same network it worked.  Partially.  I am able to access the internet on all my devices connect via wired or wireless to the router (or the gateway for that matter). 

Issue I've noticed is the following:  all of the devices in my house, which I was able to connect to previously, are no longer accessible.  For example, I have 2 dlink cameras, media server, receiver, blu ray, all with fixed ip addresses that were previously accessible via port forwarding through the router.  The cameras are live in the sense that the light on the front indicates that they are on the wireless network (home network, SSID name, not the 2Wire network).  However, when I interrogate the router for all connected devices, none of them show.  I have powered them on and off and have refreshed the router.  What is most interesting is that if I type in the external ip address to the RG (I have verified by ipconfig that it is the external address my router has as well) xx.xxx.x.x: port number to the camera, I can access the cameras.  Yet, while connected on my intranet if I type 192.168.1.1: port number, I am unable to access the camera.  If I enter 192.168.1.x for the particular camera, I am unable to connect.  This problem is further compounded by the fact that mydlink.com which was typically able to access the cameras is unable to do so. 

As an aside, I have also verified that mydomainname.com (via tzo dns server) has the correct ip address - i.e. the router is able to connect with tzo.

Suggestions?

Next question relates to using the HD boxes from Uverse to access my server.  I assume to get from the gateway to the server I need to point to the external domain name first.  Correct?

Thanks!

Message 261 of 636 (6,665 Views)
Expert

Go back and start over, follow post 2 again. Your router and the RG should NOT be on the same subnet. See also post #7 in this thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

Your RG should be on 192.168.1.254/24, your Linksys should be on 192.168.2.1/24 (LAN), and DHCP for the WAN. When you configure the RG for DMZPlus, the Linksys will then pick up your external IP address on its WAN (the RG will hand it the external IP via DHCP).

After this, cameras should work locally using http://192.168.2.x. Cameras should work externally using http://<external ip address>:<port> or http://<dynamic DNS name>:<port>.
Message 262 of 636 (6,663 Views)
Mentor

Got it.  I didn't quite get the difference in subnet.  The RG is handing the external IP without difficulty.  I can reset the RG back to 192.168.1.254 and then change the linksys to the 192.168.2.1.  I was hoping to avoid having to change the IP addresses of all of the devices in the house, but understand that I have to do it.

Thanks for the great advice.

JW

Message 263 of 636 (6,645 Views)
Mentor

Not sure I have time to address this tonight. 

But, last night I changed the RG ip address via the settings-> LAN->DHCP to the 172.16.0.0/255.255.0.0 selection.  This changed my RG ip address to 172.16.0.1.  I then put the router back to the settings that worked for me - ip address 192.168.1.1 and was able to access the web and external IP handoff worked seamlessly.  However, with this setup I was unable access the other devices that were connected to the router - which for some reason were not visible (see my previous post).  Any explanation for that?  All devices have an ip address 192.168.1.x and are connected wirelessly to the router. 

Thanks for the education!

Message 264 of 636 (6,627 Views)
Mentor

Argh! Re-ran post #2. (I left the dmz open to the router). Left RG at 192.168.1.254. Verified external ip. Rebooted router and changed ip to 192.168.2.1, understanding I would have to change all ip settings for devices (cameras, server, etc). Now, even though the rg lists the router and says the ip for the router is the external ip, the router cannot connect to the Internet. I've rebooted a bunch of times. No luck. Serves me right for starting this at night. Suggestions?
Message 265 of 636 (6,622 Views)
Expert

Remember that when you change IP addressing schemes, every device on the network needs to be rebooted/reset because most devices cache the MAC address-to-IP address mappings.

Your post where you were changing the RG to 172.16.0.0/16 should work, and this would enable your router to use 192.168.1.1. Just do it in this order:

1. Change LAN range on RG to 172.16.0.0/16, reboot RG
2. Reset Linksys, ensure outside IP address stays as the external
3. Change Linksys LAN to 192.168.1.1/24
4. Reboot Linksys, reboot your computer you're using to manage the Linkys
5. Verify internet connectivity from your computer
6. Change static IPs on other devices, reset/reboot
7. For all other DHCP devices, reset/reboot
Message 266 of 636 (6,609 Views)
Mentor

Thanks much.  Will give it a try.  I hadn't rebooted the RG - probably need to do that.

When I wrote the other night, I had the RG IP set to the 172.16.0.0/16 and the Linksys to 192.168.1.1 (external ip was passed seamlessly to the linksys).  Unfortunately, as mentioned, I was unable to access all the devices (cameras, server, etc) even though they had been re-booted as well and even though they indicated connected and I was able to connect via port forwarding through the external IP.

I think hoping to have everything work the way it was wishing for too much.  Will likely have to reset everything and start over.

HOpefully will have positive news tonight.

Message 267 of 636 (6,431 Views)
Mentor

Progress report:

Set RG IP to 172.16.0.0/16.  IP of RG set to 172.16.0.1.  Couldn't reboot RG as wife was watching tv.

However, the external IP was 108.xxx.xx.xx.

Set the Linksys back to 192.168.1.1 and rebooted. 

External IP was passed successfully to Linksys and was able to connect to internet.  Success! 

Almost.

2 dlink cameras with fixed IP addresses (before switching from Comcast) show green led indicating they are connected to my wireless router.  However, the router does not show they are connected.

I cannot get to the cameras via 192.168.1.11 or .12 (their assigned IP addresses) even after re-booting both cameras.

I cannot get to the cameras via 192.168.1.1:81 or :82 (their assigned ports via port fowarding).  This all worked previously.

However, I CAN get to the cameras via external IP:81 or <mydomainname.com>:81 or :82.

Fascinating and frustrating.  Any ideas?  Would UPnP (active) have anything to do with this?

Thoughts?

Message 268 of 636 (6,408 Views)
Expert

Your cameras are connected to the LAN ports on the Linksys, correct?

Attempt to ping the cameras from your computer. If you can't ping them, something is not hooked up right, or they don't have the IP addresses you think they do.
Message 269 of 636 (6,386 Views)
Mentor

I should have clarified.  The cameras are wireless IP cameras.  I can ping them successfully. 

I cannot access them via their local IP address or via port forwarding through the router (e.g. 192.168.1.1:81).

I can get to them via <external IP>:81

Mydlink.com which establishes a link with the cameras says the cameras are offline.  I had trouble establishing this in the past due to having a server on the network that I wanted to be able to access via port 80).

Let me outline the entire network:

RG -> LInksys e4200 -> home wireless network (ipads, phones, wireless ip cameras)

-> Linksys e4200 -> switch -> wired imac, readynas server, receiver, blu ray

The cameras and the server have dedicated, fixed IP while the receiver and blu ray are assigned via dhcp (by the router).

I'm not even bothering yet with the receiver, blu ray and server until I can prove I can get the wireless ip cameras to work.

Thanks very much for all of your help!

Message 270 of 636 (6,379 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.