Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

I don't know if doing this reconfiguration will help the speed; it may.

No, AT&T won't let you use 10.x.x.x/8 as your LAN side address.  Frustrating, but true.  However, you have a lot of choices for LAN side addressing other than 192.168.1.0/24.  There is, for instance, 192.168.2.0/24 (and 3, and so on up to 255).  And there are a whole lot of free addresses starting with 172.16.x.x

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I don't know if doing this reconfiguration will help the speed; it may.

No, AT&T won't let you use 10.x.x.x/8 as your LAN side address.  Frustrating, but true.  However, you have a lot of choices for LAN side addressing other than 192.168.1.0/24.  There is, for instance, 192.168.2.0/24 (and 3, and so on up to 255).  And there are a whole lot of free addresses starting with 172.16.x.x

Actually, the reconfiguration did not help, slow speeds developed after about 12 hours on two computers. I have now reverted back to Access Point mode.

AT&T not only allows 10.x addresses, it forces the user into one if I set my own router as a router, not an AP. When I configured my router as per Post #2 (i.e., as a router, not an AP) the UVG automatically gave my router the IP address of 10.119.32.202. I could then edit that address to a 192.x or a 172.x address but the first time I rebooted the UVG it forced my router back into a 10.x address. The only address I got to stick was 10.0.0.10. Apparently if the address starts with 10 then the UVG does not change it upon a reboot. The problem with a 10.x address is that my other router, the WRT160n, does not allow me to change its address to the 10.x range. It is an older router with less features. So I am stuck, don't know what to do next. Could buy more routers but not sure it would solve the issue as it appears to be UVG FW related.

From my limited tests it seems that with longer DHCP lease time on the UVG, the longer the speeds stay stable so there must be an issue with the way the UVG  handles out the leases.

Is there a FW later than the one I am using,  6.11.1.29-enh.tm ?  This is the original FW that came with the 3801 gateway and it is now 2+ years old.  Can I install a newer version?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

6.11.1.29-plus.tm is the same firmware version I have, and it has been updated several times in the years since I got my Gateway. What I can track down in terms of history.

In October 2014, a user reported the then current version was 6.11.1.29

in October 2013 they released 6.9.1.42-plus.tm

in February 2012 the released 6.3.7.50-plus.tm

in December 2010 they released 6.3.7.25-plus.tm, before that it was 6.3.5.19-plus.tm

So, looks like you've hit the era of stability for this platform.

You're not supposed to be able to set a LAN side subnet of 10.x.x.x on the AT&T gateways.  Several people have complained about that.  Not sure how you're able to.  You might consider resetting your Gateway to factory settings.

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

You're not supposed to be able to set a LAN side subnet of 10.x.x.x on the AT&T gateways.  Several people have complained about that.  Not sure how you're able to.  You might consider resetting your Gateway to factory settings.

I was not clear perhaps. I did not set a LAN side subnet of 10.x on the gateway itself, the gateway automatically set a LAN side subnet of 10.x on my own router, the Linksys (after a reboot) while retaining the 192.164.1.254 on the Gateway itself. Does this make sense now?

If I reset the Linksys subset to anything other than 10.x the UVG will make it 10.x on the next UVG reboot.

Also more importantly, I have cleared the list of devices on the UVG.  Could this help?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Apologies for not searching through all the posts, but has anyone tried this with an account setup for a block of static IPs? I'm looking at buying the service through a wholesaler but need to know if it can replace what I have now properly. My current gear is a Juniper SRX210 security gateway. It goes without saying that it can be made to do pretty much anything I want it do...and I want to keep it that way (NAT, application inspection, routing, ipv6, 6-in4 tunneling, 802.x1 proxying, VPN termination, BGP, MPLS, etc....)

My thoughts are that if you have the service the "regular" way, your DHCP lease will come from the pool of statics that you've bought. Then all that I'd need to do it identify the network/gatway addresses and transfer that to the hosts that are behind my current router/firewal now, reconfigure interfaces ,etc.

The problem is that I'm not sure the upstream interface of my device will still be able to get a DHCP lease once it's in "DMZ" mode. It's one of those things I could probalby hack around with and figure out if it works or not....but can't do without active service and a CPE to mess with.

I'm hoping someone else reading this has tried it with a /29 of public space and will share.

Dan

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@dgeist, if you want to hand control of a public static subnet to your own router, you don't use DMZplus/IP Passthrough; you use the Cascaded Router setting instead.  Yes, it works.  Had someone post that they successfully set it up in the past 24 hours.

You basically set up your router on the Gateway's basic LAN subnet.  You then tell the Gateway that your router is the cascaded router, and give it the (public) subnet it's supposed to handle.  You set up that subnet on the LAN side of your router (including giving that subnet's router address to the router's LAN interface).  You can use DHCP (or not) and NAT (or not) as you choose, etc.  The Gateway passes all of the traffic for that subnet to your router without handling it and passes any public traffic from your router on those addresses out.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks, @JefferMC. That helps somewhat. I think in the simplest use case, that'd work fine. It basically adds an additional routed hop via the RFC1918 "internal" network on the gateway to the "external" interface on my router. The problem with that is if I have multiple internal subnets, some of which may not be routable space (since I have 3 that are private and one public). I use port translation on my current externally-facing public IP to do things like remote viewing on plex media server, etc.

Either I'd need to expose my internal private network as a routed network for the VDSL gateway to NAT for me when I go outbound (and use the features it hopefully has for port/IP translation). I also need to terminate a hurricane electric 6-in-4 tunnel on my "public address"...which would be challenging if not presense. I may still need to find some way to get the outside-facing public address living on my firewall/router. 

What happened to the old days when ISP CPE was just a bridge 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@dgeist wrote:

... I may still need to find some way to get the outside-facing public address living on my firewall/router. ...

That's what DMZplus/IP passthrough is intended to do; but you have extra requirements.  Maybe a product intended for the mass consumer requirements isn't what you need.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hello, I have a Netger r6300 v2 which I recently flashed DD-WRT to it but can not for the life of me get internet through it. I followed step # 2 but it still is not working. Please help. Thank you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Hi SomeJoe7777,

I am confused with your different options, I have a Pace 5268 as my router moden. The performance durinf online gaming was not satisfactory so I decided to install an Asus AC3100.

Because I needed to connect more than 4 devices directly to the modem and router, both LAN connections are active, and since I have problems comunicating reaching some devices connected to either the Pace or the Asus, I decided to have both wireless on with different name to avoid conflict.

Now my question is which of all the different setup options should be the right one to use in my case, regarding DHCP and of the Asus should be a router or an access point.

Thanks in advance for your support

Regards

Jose

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.