Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am trying to set up a guest network on a 3801 HGV ATT Uverse unit. I added another router to the network and have set it have an IP address outside of the public network. What is the next step to achieving the guest network goal?

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

Hi, I need a bit of help please...  I have a UV 3801HGV Gateway (for Internet only, no VoIP or TV). Since it only has Wireless G, I have a Linksys WRT1200AC Router connected to it exactly as described on Post 13 of this thread and for the most part it works ok. The wireless is disabled on the Gateway and the DHCP is disabled on the Router. They are connected LAN to LAN. However the wireless connection speed drops down to only 1-2 Mbps after a couple of days (this happens on all connected devices) and the only way to remedy this is to reboot the Gateway and the Router. I have been rebooting both devices every day in order to maintain decent speeds.

I have played around with the settings on both and have discovered that if I change the DHCP Lease Time on the Gateway to 720 hours (30 days) vs. the default 24 hrs the connection stays fast for about 15 days and then I have to reboot again. Can someone explain what is happening? Is there a way to maintain connection speeds without rebooting regularly? The longest lease time allowed would be 999 hours so I would have to reboot about the same.

A bit more details. The house has Ethernet throughout and in another part of the house I have an older Linksys WRT160N and I do not lose speeds there, only with the WRT1200AC. The 1200AC is set up and wired the same as the 160N (the 5GHZ band is off on the 1200) however on the 160N I can turn off both NAT and Dynamic Routing, on the 1200AC I can turn off NAT but then DR is enabled automatically. Does this make any difference? I did not think so because the DHCP is being handled by the Gateway - but I am looking at posibilities for the annoying speed drops. Any suggestions  and help would be much appreciated...  🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

If you've connected your router LAN to the Gateway LAN, then having NAT on or off should make no difference.  What effect Dynamic Routing may have on the way the router operates, I do not know, since in the LAN to LAN configuration, it shouldn't be doing any routing at all.

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

If you've connected your router LAN to the Gateway LAN, then having NAT on or off should make no difference.  What effect Dynamic Routing may have on the way the router operates, I do not know, since in the LAN to LAN configuration, it shouldn't be doing any routing at all.

Thanks, JefferMC. I am connected LAN to LAN. Any ideas why I need to regularly reboot the devices? Any possible solutions appreciated.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

No, but your diagnosis with the DHCP renewal period seems spot on.  Obviously the initial request is making it from the device to the Gateway and the response is getting back.  Some varieties of the Gateway firmware have had an issue where the response to a renewal request has a strange source IP address which can cause it to get dropped by a router.  A router configured as a switch/access point should not be looking in the DHCP packet and should carry it to the end device if it were painted green.

I don't know how to continue to troubleshoot this with out using Wireshark (and a very short DHCP renewal period).

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

No, but your diagnosis with the DHCP renewal period seems spot on.  Obviously the initial request is making it from the device to the Gateway and the response is getting back.  Some varieties of the Gateway firmware have had an issue where the response to a renewal request has a strange source IP address which can cause it to get dropped by a router.  A router configured as a switch/access point should not be looking in the DHCP packet and should carry it to the end device if it were painted green.

I don't know how to continue to troubleshoot this with out using Wireshark (and a very short DHCP renewal period).

Thanks for you reply. Let me recap my issue:

1) The 3801HGV is running 6.11.1.29-enh.tm Software. It is configured as it came from AT&T with two exceptions. I have turned the wireless radio off and I have changed the DHCP lease time to 720 hrs (30 days).

2) I have two Linksys routers connected LAN to LAN to the GV. One is a WRT1200AC, the one with the decaying speed issue requiring regular rebooting. The other is an older WRT160n which works flaulessly and never requires a reboot. They are both configured as close as I can set them. DHCP is turned off on both. The 1200AC is on IP 192.168.1.10. The 160n is on 192.168.1.11. IPv6 is turned off on the 1200AC (there is no IPv6 on the 160n, much older). Channels or widths do not appear to make any difference but one is on 11 and the other is on 1 (2.4 band), both on N only.

3) The 160n always works with no rebooting required. The 1200AC slows down from 15 Mbps to 1-2 Mbps requiring rebooting to reset. With the DHCP lease set to 30 days, it needs rebooting after 12-15 days, not too bad. With the lease set as default, 24hr, it requires rebooting every day or two. It may require it faster but that is when I notice the slow speeds, maybe it has had slow speeds for awhile and I did not notice it.

I can download Wireshark but I would not have any idea how to use it. I am not a computer newbie but as far as analyzing network traffic I defininitively am. For testing purposes I can set the lease time as short as the GV allows but what do I do next?

I need two APs to reach the far ends of this house. The 1200 serves most of the house and it is the primary. I can buy another 160 (a used one, but hate to do this).

Some questions, please:

Why is the 1200 having issues and the 160 not?

Since you mentioned that some versions of the GV Software create problems, can I change the Software on the GV to a different version? I have reflashed the FW on the 1200 to no avail and know how to do this but do not know how to do it on the GV. Seems like AT&T does it automatically. Is that correct?

One solution but a poor one. Put the 1200AC on a timer such that it reboots at 2am every night, powers off for 2 minutes and then back on. Don't know what else to do other than buying another router and this may not help.

Any help much appreciated...  🙂

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

JefferMC, I have another thought. Instead of having my WRT1200AC set up as an Access Point behing the Gateway I could set it up as a Router behind the Gateway by following the steps outlined in Post #2. Could this resolve the rebooting issue? In this mode it seems like the Gateway will not be handling the DHCP any longer, the WRT will handle the DHCP instead. Will this resolve the issue? It would take some effort to reconfigure both devices so your thoughts appreciated.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

You may find that useful.  However, be advised that you may then want to connect your older router's LAN port to a LAN port on that router, so that clients of that "access point" would be in the same network/subnet as the other clients.  This isn't relavant if all you do is access the Internet directly from all devices, it would come in to play if you share printers, or otherwise do networking between devices connected to the two different access points.

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

You may find that useful.  However, be advised that you may then want to connect your older router's LAN port to a LAN port on that router, so that clients of that "access point" would be in the same network/subnet as the other clients.  This isn't relavant if all you do is access the Internet directly from all devices, it would come in to play if you share printers, or otherwise do networking between devices connected to the two different access points.

Thanks Jeffer. Yes I will connect the old 160n LAN to LAN to the new 1200AC.

Do you think that connecting the 1200AC to the Gateway as a Router instead of an AP will resolve the speed degrading issue? At the moment speeds degrade on all my clients after a day or so (if leases are set to 24hrs). With the 1200AC as the DHCP server, will this resolve the issue? I know it would be your best opinion, not guaranteed, but you are an expert.

Also will the DHCP of the Gateway still be active? Will it handle leases if someone connects to it wirelessly? Seems like I would have to turn the Wireles G off on the Gateway to be sure that there are no IP conflicts. That step was not included in the original Post 2.

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

8 years ago

Well, forget all the above.  I have spent 7 hours reconfiguring the Linksys as a router behind the UVG.  While the procedure listed by SomeJoe777 does work, unfortunately the UVG automatically edits the IP address of the Linksys to 10.XX.XX.XX.  Editing it back to 192.168.XX.XX works temporarily but it the UVG is rebooted it reedits the Linksys IP back to 10.XX.  The problem with this is that my Linksys WRT160n which I want to use as an AP behind the 1200AC will not let me edit its IP address to 10.XX, only allows addresses with 192.XX so it does not work behind the 1200AC.  I cannot see any workaround this.  Can you suggest any solutions? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.