Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

The purpose of making the SSID and encryption match that of the RG is for people who want to increase coverage by using both wireless access points (the RG and their 3rd-party access point). That way, clients can roam from one access point to the other.

If you're going to turn off wireless on the RG, then you can make the SSID and encryption on your access point anything you want.

As far as separate SSIDs for different bands, some routers require different SSIDs for each band and they have to be configured separately. Other routers use the same SSID for both bands. I'm not sure which method the Asus uses.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

Before asking my question, I'd just like to join those who have already thanked you for your excellent advice and info somejoe7777 !! And your movie quote and clip sig is amazing! (says the major movie lover)

Ok, after wrestling with my new AT&T Uverse 2wire 3600HGV for a week now, I'm still having some issues. I only subscribe to Internet service - no VOIP or STB/TV.

I have 3 routers besides the 2wire, two of which were simple APs, and after setting up the 2wire, I turned off DHCP on the primary router, set it's LAN IP as 192.168.1.1, and plugged it into the switched network via LAN port connected to the 2wire, thus making it yet another AP.

Restarted all the APs, including the 2wire, and the devices in my network. Things worked ok for a while, but after a day when I try to hit a website with one of my desktops, which was setup for DHCP, I got a Router behind Router page, which was strange as there were no devices serving as routers in my network except the 2wire. I clicked on the 'Resolve' button, and was told my desktop was now in DMZplus!!

I looked at my local IP and saw it was allocated a number within the range being handed out by the 2wire.

??

I re-set my desktop to use an unused static IP number, restarted, and could get to my LAN devices, including the 2wire, but when I tried to hit an outside web site, I now get this error:

"can't find the server at gateway.pace.com"

This is regardless of whether the URL is an FQDN or IP number, so I assume it's not simply a DNS issue.

The 2wire is set as it's default 192.168.1.254 address, which is what I've used as the gateway address for my static IP devices, all on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

I didn't have much luck googling the above error, so I hope y'all can help.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

I still haven't found out why my desktop becomes the DMZPlus device after the Router behind Router page comes up, but if you select to 'Resolve' that page, it appears that along with making my desktop the DMZ box, it creates a proxy of the 2wire box for web browsers to point to. At some point I can only assume that the 2wire Uverse box's 192.168.1.254 address was resolving to gateway.pace.com which is non-existent in global DNS.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Make sure all of your units that you want set up as wireless access points are done according to this post:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2723261#M313

Then make sure that each unit:

• has nothing plugged into the WAN port
  • Has a LAN IP address set to the U-Verse gateway's same subnet, but out of the DHCP range (usually 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.63)
  • Has a LAN subnet mask set to the same as the U-Verse gateway (usually 255.255.255.0)
  • Has the default gateway set to the U-Verse gateway (usually 192.168.1.254)
  • Make sure that DHCP on each unit is turned off.

Make sure all computers are set to DHCP.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

This was helpful to me as well. I followed all the steps and no longer have the double NAT issue. The problem is when I followed these steps, although I can connect to my router, I no longer can connect to the internet.

Here is what I am trying to do:

I have an ATT UVerse Modem/Cable Box. I also have an Airport Extreme Base Station with Time Capsule (the new one). I want to not use the ATT Uverse WiFi or settings at all and operate entirely on my own network setup through the Airport Extreme Base Station. I don't want the base station in bridge mode because I want to be able to have a guest network running on my Apple Router and that doesn't work when in bridge mode. 

Here is what I have done: 

I followed the steps of setting up routers WAN in DHCP mode. I then plugged into the ATT Uverse setup. I restarted the router. I went into the ATT network and went to settings - firewall - applications pinholes and dmz. I selected the Apple Airport under section 1. I clicked the DMZPlus button under section 2. I clicked save. I restarted the router and follwed the steps. I went back and unchecked stealth mode, block ping, strict UDP session control. I checked outbound protocol control except netbios. I unchecked netbios under inbound protocol control. I unchecked all the attack detection checkboxes. I clicked save. 

Here is my problem: 

Although I can now login to my router and guest network through the Apple Airport Extreme, it won't connect to the internet itself so I can surf the web. I can turn on my ATT router WiFi and that works online. But the Apple router despite being connected does not. I also can - while logged into the Apple router - put in the ATT network's IP address and login to check the ATT network settings. I also checked to see that it is connected to the internet and it says yes. But again, if logging onto wifi through the Apple Airport router in this setup I can not go online. 

Help? Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening? Any other links to solutions that work better? Thank you. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am planing on using the instructions in post 2 of this thread to set up an Asus RT-N66U behind my 2Wire 3801HGV. The 3801HGV provides internet and phone only. My RT-N66U has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1. Should I change it to 192.168.2.1 before I start the installation process? Secondly, has any of the settings in described in post 2 changed with the current 3801HGV with the latest firmware installed? Thanks!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

@Yserg wrote:
I am planing on using the instructions in post 2 of this thread to set up an Asus RT-N66U behind my 2Wire 3801HGV. The 3801HGV provides internet and phone only. My RT-N66U has a default IP address of 192.168.1.1. Should I change it to 192.168.2.1 before I start the installation process? Secondly, has any of the settings in described in post 2 changed with the current 3801HGV with the latest firmware installed? Thanks!

Yes, change the LAN settings of your router to 192.168.2.1 before starting, this will avoid any interference later.

No, nothing has changed with the firmware updates on the 2Wire routers, the procedure should work as written.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Ok guys, I'm having a really hard time setting up my WDn900 behind my 2wire 3800HGV. Now ive been on three different forums and I feel like im getting different answers. I just want to use the wireless funtion from the wd to take advantage of the duel band wifi. id also like to plug in my Mybook to have a wireless drive my family can access within the home. Can this be done? is there a fools proof how-to someone can point me to?  

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

CrispyTX,

See the following post for instructions to set up your own wireless access point:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2723261#M313

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hey thanks for that Joe, I've looked that over and still have some questions. When you say Lan ports is that an ethernet port? Also in step one am I turning DHCP off on the WD? Thanks again man. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.