Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@Greg86 wrote:

JefferMC thanks for monitoring such an old thread. Your advice was greatly appreciated. This thread has a lot of great information, but for a novice like me it can sometimes raise more questions than it answers.

Thanks Again.

I'm glad you got it working!  Don't be a stranger.  Smiley Happy

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have read about 50% of this thread and have not found a solution to my issue.  Due to a complicated home network and the inability to get my Linksys EA4500 to run in Bridge Mode, I currently have my Wireless Router configured as a wireless access point.  I would like to configure it in a bridge mode to leverage the USB port on the back of the router for FTPing outside the network, the Smart WiFi and media prioritization features of the router.

That being said, I tried once again last night to configure the router/RG in Bridge Mode following Post#2 and was unsuccessful.  My network is currently a combination of mostly wired with 2 iPads, 2iPhones, 1 wireless printer and two laptops.  I have network drops in most of the rooms terminating to a patch pannel in the basement.  I then have patch cables running from the patch pannel to an 8 port switch.  The following is connected to the 8 port switch:

• Family Room Drop
  • Bedroom Drop
  • Living Room Drop
  • Office Drop
  • Uverse Gateway
  • Home Server

Additionally, in each room specified above, there is another switch that has the following connected to it:

1.  Bedroom:
    • Uverse STB
    • Apple TV
  2. Living Room
    • Uverse STB
    • Apple TV
    • Blueray Player
    • XBox 360
  3. Family Room
    • Uverse STB
    • Apple TV
    • Blueray Player
  4. Office
    • Desktop PC
    • Laser Printer
    • Linksys EA4500 Router

I followed all of the setup in structions in Post #2 including changing the DHCP range on my router to 192.168.2.x.  Physically, I unplugged the RG from the switch in the basement and plugged it into the WAN port on the Linksys Router.  The problem was that the Uverse Set Top Boxes lost connectivity.  The only way to get them to reconnect and re-establish the TV signal was to then reconnect the RG back to the switch.  However if I do so and also have the RG connected to the WAN port of the Linksys at the same time the internet connection becomes unstable.  It tends to go in and out.  Also, the other devices that are on the wired network continue to get assigned IP addresses from the RG so the only way to keep everything on the same network is to configure static IP's for all of the wired devices within the 192.168.2.x range. 

I would appreciate any assistance I can get however I'm open to the possibility that my situation is too complicated and I may want to just go back to the wireless access point solution.

Thanks in advanced.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

As my thoughts said, you should segregate your IPTV and Internet traffic.  This isn't strictly necessary, but there are two situations when it becomes necessary:

• You wish to use your own router for your Internet traffic (98% of consumer routers cannot handle the IGMP v3 signaling necessary to correctly handle the IPTV), or
  • You are connecting a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router to your network.  (Most Wireless Routers/Access Points handle Multicast Traffic by slowing to a crawl and fouling up your network speed.)

Your cardinal sin in this case is attempting to serve your STB/DVR through your own router.

If you were just using your router as an Access Point (post 13), which means not connecting it in-line but connecting it such that it was connected to a port on the RG that served no STB/DVR, you'd probably get away with it.  But then you lose any routing functions.

You can use VLAN capable switches to segregate traffic going through one wire.  This would allow you to send IPTV and HSI traffic down the same wire, then break them out on the other end.  But I count 4 places you'd need one in your configuration.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you both for your responses.  You both basically confirmed what I already suspected.

Do you agree that there is value in being able to utilize a secondary router to manage my internal network?  I feel that the routing capabilities of the RG are limited and also has a substandard user interface.

If you agree that I should move forward with segrating the IPTV traffic from the rest of the network then it sounds like you are suggesting that I introduce one or many "Smart Switches" to the equation.  You referenced the Netgear GS108.  I looked it up and there is a GS108T that appears to be Managed.  Is this what you are referring to?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

The GS108T (T for tagging) allows you to create VLANs, and the packets will be tagged such that the VLAN can be carried through to another compatible switch who will respect the tagging and break packets back into their desired VLAN.

So here is an example:

Switch 1:

Create VLAN1 for IPTV, and connect LAN port 1 from the RG to a VLAN1 port.

Create VLAN2 for Internet, and connect LAN port 2 fro the RG to a VLAN2 port.

Set one port so that it is in both VLAN1 and VLAN2.

Switch 2: (e.g. Bedroom)

Create VLAN1 for IPTV, and connect your DVR to a port in VLAN1

Create VLAN2 for Internet access, and connect your PC, TV and/or Bluray player to it

Set up one port in both VLAN's and connect it to the cable from switch 1.

Packets from both VLAN's flow between the switches on one cable, the respective switches take care of putting them on the right ports.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi everyone looking for help...

I have the UVERSE i38HG 2WIRE router/modem combo. They also gave me a wireless access point which they insist I use. I am ok with networking and some of the basic tasks... however this seems to be stumping me. I had purchased my Belkin N600 wireless router about a month ago and just recently learned that I am not taking full advantage of it. The reason I had bought this is because the 2Wire brand doesn't offer the functions I want to take advantage of. I had called AT&T and they had turned off the wireless portion, so I now connect wirelessly to the N600 router. My issue is I need to use some port fowarding options as well as UPNP and would like to take full advantage of my router. I was informed that this is still being "blocked by the i38HG". Which lead me to do some research on bridging. I really would like some help with this as I am having a hard time following the steps mentioned on the first page.

With the new Playstation 4 users are able to remote play with the Playstation Vita from outside there network. Everything is set up and good to go between the PS4 and Vita except when it gets to the final stage it of connecting it fails. I beleive this is due to the port forwarding and my Belkin router not actually handling all these functions... I've read that even thought the router is working for my wireless if I don't bridge it, it doesnt matter if I make changes to these settings on the router they wont work. Looking for some help, please! If someone can help me with this whole bridging thing so my personal router controls everything that would be awesome.

I will be checking back frequently if someone that knows how to help either posts or sends me a message.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I have the 3800-HGVB RG and wanted to get a faster wireless network, so I bought a D-Link 826L dual band router, and set it up in AP mode. I tried doing it with the WAN port as a real router, but I was never able to get my firewall settings to open the needed ports correctly, so I gave up and went the other route, which I must say, went without a breeze and everything was connected perfectly. My firewall still works perfect and all my devices connect without any problem.

However... I made some tests and it turns out, streaming to an apple TV and to an android box, using XBMC, was way way faster with the wireless G network of the uverse RG, that with any of the two networks from the new DLink (2G and 5G). For instance, the time it took to start a movie using the uverse router was about 1 min 40 secs; and I was never able to get the same movie started with any of the other networks, in both devices sooner than 3 mins, sometimes more than that.

Do you have any idea why is that? The two routers are next to each other, and really not too far from the room with the TV, actually, the apple TV says the signal is excellent when I connect to either router. I tried different channels, different security methods, and other things, but nothing made it faster.

I wonder if somebody has any advice. Thanks very much.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me with my current issue. I am trying to set up an Asus RT-N12 router as an access point. I have followed the instructions on post #13. I am trying to extend my wifi range and have the router hooked up to the wireless gateway through a switch. When I initially set up the router as an access point following the steps on post 13, everything works fine for a while. After approximately 30 min or so, I can no longer connect the the Asus router at all. My devices can see the asus router but I cannot connect to it. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

Voyager

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I set up a Netgear R6300 router behind a 2Wire 3800HGV-B AT&T RG using Post 2. It knocked out my TVs.

The ATT Tech (knowledgeable about router behind RG for a change!) found that the Netgear router assigned new IP addresses to the TV receivers causing them to lose communication. The Netgear forum (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=77885) had a reply that R6300 can only be used as AP behind ATT RG. Result: RG cannot be used as a bridge with this router. Has anyone else run into this situation?

BTW I changed the setup to using the router as a Wireless Access Point using post 13 and all is fine.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help.  I have AT&T u-verse (Internet, TV and phone) and I just bought an Asus RT-N66R router.  I want to replace the wireless functionality of the RG with the more powerful wireless capabilities of the Asus.  I plan to follow the instructions in post #13.

The question I have is around the last part, specifically around the SSID, encryption, password, etc.  As I understand it, I must make the information on the Asus match that of the RG (SSID, etc).  However, the part I'm confused about are two things:

1. Since I plan to turn off the wireless on the RG, do I still need to worry about making them the same?
  2. Since the Asus has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, how do I handle the SSIDs for those?  As I understand it, both bands need to have different SSIDs, correct?

Thanks for the help!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.