Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hello Joe or anyone else with knowledge on the subject,

I need your knowledge. I am considering purchasing a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900. The reason why is I am looking to improve my latency. Right now I have my Xbox One hooked up wired to my uverse gateway. My latency is 78ms. I would like to get that down. The Nighthawk is supposed to be good as far as latency, among a whole lot of other stuff. My question is is there a way to have the Nighthawk as the device doing all the internet stuff. Can the uverse gateway be taken out of the equation or be made to be just a passthrough? And if it is made as a passthrough, would the latency be improved if the Nighthawk is indeed capable of lowering it?

P.S. I know this isn't the exact topic for this, but it looked close enough, especially if I have to use the instructions from the 2nd post.

Thanks in advance for for any information provided,

P1553D

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

P1553d,

You can hook up another router using the instructions in post 2, but it's not likely to reduce your latency very much. The U-Verse gateway cannot be removed from the system, and even in passthrough/DMZPlus mode, the latency doesn't change much.

Truckman410,

You probably have another device configured as DMZPlus already. That one will have to have DMZPlus turned off before you can turn it on for a different computer.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Hi, I recently bought a Netgear WNDR4500 I want to connect to my RG. I have two goals in doing this.

1. I want the speed and range of a wireless n network.

2. I want to connect an External HDD to the USB port on the WNDR4500 and use it as a DLNA NAS to stream music and videos to devices on my network.

I currently have an X-Box 360, a Sony Blu-ray player, a Pioneer receiver, and a vulcano place shifter with outgoing ports opened on my RG, as well as multiple phones, tablets, and laptops connected wirelessly to my RG. I have two Win7Pro desktops and a network printer hard wired. My main question is should I use a bridge or router behind a router (post 2 or 13) setup to accomplish these goals? Any other advice or considerations of which I should be aware? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I forgot to say both the RG and the WNDR4500 will be located near one another so there is no need to use the wired ports on the RG. I could move them to the WNDR4500.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

I would say you can accomplish those goals most easily (least disruption) with the Access Point method.

I would usually recommend the Access Point method unless there's something that only having your own router gives you that you're looking for (e.g. UPnP, access control, QoS).

You probably already know this, but Access Point configuration is described in post 13 in this thread

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks JefferMC.

My original reasons for getting the WNDR4500 were to:

1.  Have Gigibytre Ethernet and wireless n.

2.  Use Easy Share and the USB port to connect a WD MyBook to my network to use as a media server NAS.

An access point solution would work for these goals, but as I have done more research I now think the Advance QoS of the WNDR4500 would be good for the X-Box 360 and Streaming video from Netflix and Amazon Prime to my Blu-ray player and X-Box. I would also like to use the Guest server on the WNDR4500 since my kids' friens generally all want to log on to my network when they visit. With the goals in mind I will try the Router-behind-a-router solution.

I have also read negative reviews on Netgears management and throughput using the USB port.  I think the extra $50 to buy the My Cloud will be well worth the investment.

My two main concerns are:

1. DHCP issues between the RG and My router.

2. Configuring the Vulkano for outgoing video streams.

From most of the posts I think these will be manageable. If I hit a wall I can always setup the simple swich / access point.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, there could be an issue with your router requesting the WAN address via DHCP from the RG.  However, most RG's allow you to either (1) create a sticky-DHCP assignment for an address and then you can statically assign the WAN address on the router., or (2) assign a static IP on the WAN address for the router from the static address pool of the RG... but I think there's an issue with assigning DMZplus mode if you do that.

Keep the LAN IPs on your router on a different subnet from the RG's LAN.  192.168.2.x works for most people.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks JefferMC,

I guess I am to the point now where I need to take the router out of the box and start configuring. I'll post when I have results.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Installed the WNDR4500 behind the 3800HGV-B today. Followed post 2 and everything went smoothly. My only hang up was setting the WAN Address on the WNDR4500 to static IP in step 8. I had to go to Internet Setup, turn off DHCP, and manually set IP Address, IP Subnet, Domain, Primary DNS Server, and Secondary DNS Server. The Default IP address was 192.168.1 but when I connected it the the RG the Netgear changed itself to 10.0.0.1 to avoid a conflict. 

Vulkano set up easily using UPnP.

QoS is Enabled.

Parental controls are set.

Guest Network setup.

All things not provided by 2Wire.

JefferMC thanks for monitoring such an old thread. Your advice was greatly appreciated. This thread has a lot of great information, but for a novice like me it can sometimes raise more questions than it answers.

Thanks Again.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.