Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for all the help provided in this post. It got me much further than I was able to on my own.

Moved from Boston (Verizon Fios) to San Antonio (AT&T UVerse)

Upgraded my router to EA6500 Smart Wi-Fi router so I could use their little wireless->lan devices to get internet to rooms without wireless and not run wires throughout the entire new house we bought.

Followed your instructions on the 2nd post and everything works.  It all worked initially just fine by running the linksys wizard as well.

Ok long story short, I can't get my actual ip address forwarded with either setup so far. Everything is working, internet/lan, etc. No matter how I forward the port 80 though I can't connect to my web server using my actual ip address (from phone on 3G as a real test).  I can access it typing in the local ip (I used range 192.168.100.1-so it was 192.168.100.52).  That connects fine.

I forwarded that to port 80 on the linksys to that ip in order to access it from outside my netowrk, but no luck. My setup is currently setup still using your instructions on the 2nd post down. What could I be doing wrong?  Thanks again for the help.

Jasems

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Check the firewall configuration on the Linksys carefully to make sure you're actually forwarding port 80.

Also check the Linksys status page to make sure the WAN IP address is the public IP address (make sure it hasn't picked up a 192.168 address from the RG instead).

Lastly, check your web server, make sure it is configured to answer requests to any IP address, not just the local LAN. If your web server has a firewall on it, you will also have to configure that for port 80 inbound requests.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I followed a tutorial to forward port 80 to the correct IP (for my specific router since it is new to me EA6500)

The linksys page does indeed have my internet IP as my "whatismyip" address lol

I will test the web server coming directly from the AT&T modem I think next. The windows firewall is off for the webserver so don't think thats it.  Maybe there is a webserver setting that I need to change for my new internet provider that I am forgetting? It worked before w/my old ISP and different router, so its kinda confusing me lol. Thanks for the help, anything else you can think of to try I will give it my best shot. 🙂

Jasems

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Added note from some tests. I did a port forwarding check tester from a google search.  It says my port 80 is open already.  I even disabled it from the linksys and it still says its open lol. Then just for the heck of it checked another random port and it was closed.  Went over to the linksys and opened it and nothing, website still says its closed. Seems like I still have something screwed up w/the routers. 

And one more test with even more confusing results.

So if I open and close 3389 (remote desktop) it shows on this port forwarding tester that it is open/closed when it is supposed to.

Now if I open a port for Minecraft 25565 it says closed no matter what.

Lastly port 80 shows as open even when not forwarded, yet I can't connect to me real IP address from even another computer on my network. The other compters on the network can connect to it with it's local ip address though... My brain is about to explode lol... 

EDIT>>> 

Ok so I unplugged the linksys, plugged directly in to the UVerse router. Forwarded the port 80 & it worked first try.  I can connect to my IP and domain name now from my phone on 3G.  Going to reset the linksys and try again using your tutorial and see if that helps. At least I know my server is setup correctly now and that it is indeed a router configuration error. Really need that linksys to be the main router though for parental controls and my wireless to lan boxes setup... 😞

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

After my spam of replies I have fixed my problem.  I had to set the router to static and type in the gateway, dns servers, etc that is listed on the uverse box.  Port forwarding works fine now on the linksys.  Yay!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Cool, glad you got it working.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I just wanted to tack on a 'thank you' to SomeJoe7777. I was getting absolute crap internet speeds upstairs on my PC with the default wireless connection. I used the guide to setup my 802.11n router, and now it's running near-enough my advertised download speeds.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

i recently moved from the country where the only available static IP was a very expensive T1 line.  Now in the city I had two choices, AT&T or Time Warner.  After much discussion with AT&T representatives that uVerse would provide me with the same capability to manage my block of 32 static IP addresses, I pulled the plug and moved my equipment to the new location, expecting at one or two day outage. That was a week ago.  WIth the end on the month approaching and no access to my accounting system (LegerSMB), I am running out of time.  i have poured  through the forums looking for a solution, but it has eluded me. Here is my setup.

I run my own, DNS (named), DHCP, sendmail MTA, bacula, ejabberd, Mailman servers, CalDav, and apache servers from behind my fire wall.  Some of the servers are physical, some are KVM hosted, some are apache virtual web hosts. The only connection to the 3801 is my linux based (centos) firewall that manages the connection to the internet. It has all of the active static IP addresses set up as eth0, eth0:1, eth0:2, etc.  The 3801 recognizes the eth0 static IP address 162.192.165.97, passing traffic both directions. 162.192.165.97:80 is correctly NAT'ed to the apache server behing the fire wall, for example. Everything from inside the firewall is working correctly with data passng to and from the internet. We can send mail internally or externally and can receive mail, from inside the firwall, for example. I am willing to change the configuration anywhere in my system, provided it does not change the presentation to the end users either on the local net or the internet. 

Here is the question. Can this be made to work and how,  or should I move to Time Warner Cable? I am concerned that I'd be moving from  the frying pan to the fire. I asusmed an internet company would be better prepaerd than a cable company. 🙂

Any Help, much appreciated.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

I'm a bit confused by your post. In your second paragraph, you basically describe that everything is working. What isn't working that you need assistance with?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry, too much superfluous information, I suspect.  My problem is, except for 162.192.165.97, the internet cannot see any of my static ip addresses, including my dns servers on 162.192.165.124 and 125. So no DNS lookup is occurring. Even if that worked and pointed to my web server on 98, for example,  the 3801 does not pass the 98 traffic to my firewall. So you can go to the web server on 97 (but not by name) but cannot get to any of the other servers or services on 98 through 125 by ip or name.

I am hoping there is a change I can make in my firewall as a workaround or a change to the 3801.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.